Battery Replacement Process on S9?

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I know its too early to ask this question since I got my S9 this year in June. But just in case my S9 needs a battery replacement, what is the process for this?

Suppose I find an authorized Sansung Service Center, will they have to ship my phone somewhere else to have the battery replaced or will they do it on the spot locally?

I DO NOT want my phone to be shipped somewhere else to replace the battery. That is not acceptable. So, is it just worth asking this when the time comes at a local Service Center?

With this question being asked, I would guess the battery change is very unlikely as most people will buy new phones on an average of within 3 to 4 years. Most phone batteries last typically around 3 to 4 years. If that is the case, maybe I will purchase another new S9.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
With this question being asked, I would guess the battery change is very unlikely as most people will buy new phones on an average of within 3 to 4 years. Most phone batteries last typically around 3 to 4 years. If that is the case, maybe I will purchase another new S9.
If you treat the battery properly (never charge above 90%, never discharge below 40% - and if the battery doesn't develop a dendrite [which you have no control over]) it may last 4 years. If you're the typical user, try to see how much Screen on Time you can get, leave the charger plugged in longer than necessary, you could kill the battery in anything from a month to a year. (No rechargeable battery likes to be overcharged, and lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. You can almost flatten a lead-acid battery many times with no ill-effects, but you don't want a 3 pound battery in your phone.)

In the US, the only "authorized Samsung service center" that does all repairs in-store is UBreakIFix. Best Buy does in-store repairs for some repairs for some Samsung phones in-store. The rest are sent out.

In other countries, you'd have to check locally.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Lets say that my phone needs to be charged before going to bed, can I leave it charged overnight or would that cause damage to the battery or the phone?

Last edited:

littlemissImperfect

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
yes, that will shorten your battery life, but i can't really say how fast it will happen. Since it charges so fast, i like to charge mine in the morning while i get ready for work (~1.30h).

krisqz

May 7, 2013
Visit site
yes, that will shorten your battery life, but i can't really say how fast it will happen. Since it charges so fast, i like to charge mine in the morning while i get ready for work (~1.30h).

I was always thinking that, but it occurred to me that in these times this specific thing can't be that stupidly designed anymore. I'm pretty sure current devices cut charging the battery at 100% and then phone runs off of a charger. Devices with removable battery can even work without it, just with the charger plugged in. I stopped caring about my battery this way. I have S9 almost since launch and I didn't notice any drops in the charge so far. And I charge it overnight every day.

anon(7775)

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Ubreakifix I think is the only authorized repair facility, they replaced my screen the other day and put on a liquid glass screen protector, I'm a believer

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The usual procedure these days is that at least some portions of the case and interior are glued together, typically you need a hot plate to warm up the glue to remove the rear cover, then remove a lot of screws, micro ribbon connectors...basically you need about 1/2 hour of a "watchmaker's" skills. On the bright side, the telco's threaten to deploy 5G in the next year or two, so in three years maybe they'll be a reason (5G) for a new phone.

I might trust the UBreak folks to replace a battery, they're a franchise so the quality of the individual shops varies. That big chain with the blue and yellow signs...last time I dealt with them, if the techs were getting minimum wage they were being overpaid. Start asking around locally, now, for a good indy repair shop.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Lets say that my phone needs to be charged before going to bed, can I leave it charged overnight or would that cause damage to the battery or the phone?

I put it on the charger when I go to bed and in the morning it is fully charged. I have done this with many phones and never had a problem with the battery. If there is an emergency I want my phone charged.

littlemissImperfect

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
I put it on the charger when I go to bed and in the morning it is fully charged. I have done this with many phones and never had a problem with the battery. If there is an emergency I want my phone charged.

It's not going to take a major hit, my bf does it all the time also and has 0 complaints, but as Rukbat said, the ideal way is to not let it drop to 0 or get over 90%( values depend on who you ask). You usually notice changes if you keep your phone for more than 2 years i think.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the folks who make lithium ion cylindrical batteries, as used in everything from Tesla's to laptop computers, all say not to charge over 90% for the longest battery life. And although the prismatic packs in phones usually use a slightly different chemistry, the rule still applies. Not my opinion--but the one from every engineer at every battery maker.

With cell phones the problem is that ditzy customers keep saying "make it smaller!" and that means the engineers aren't allowed to use large batteries. So the average customer (who gets a new phone every two years or less anyhow) DEMANDS a tiny phone, which means a tiny battery, which means the companies all charge them to 100% in order to get that extra hour per day--while it lasts. And when it gets weak, hey, just sell a sexy new model phone anyway.

So the phones and phone chargers, from the best of companies, are all set up to charge to 100% and then cut back the charging. Some of the new "fast charge" gear will apply a very hot charge (literally) until the phone reaches 50% and then taper off, in order to avoid heat damage. There are all sorts of complications they can choose to employ.

As a practical matter? Put it on the charger, go to sleep, it will be charged to 100% overnight. And after 500 charge cycles, you need a new battery, or a new phone. That's just the way it is. Like when you buy fresh bananas, and you either eat them or throw it out--either way, they're rotten in five days.

Meanwhile be glad you're not paying $4 per minute for your cell calls. That's what they cost (including long distance and roaming) just 20 years ago, back when we all had easily replaced batteries. The cellco's get you one way or the other.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Suppose after the battery dies, and want to keep my S9, what is the battery replacement process? Do I need to take it into a Samsung Authorized service center? If so, will they have to send the phone to another location to replace the battery or some service centers might actually replace it on the spot locally?

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Battery replacement is the same process on almost all new phones. It is "simple" the same way that surgery is simple.
The phone is often glued together, requiring the use of a heating plate to soften the glue enough (but not too much) to allow the rear care to be pried off. Some can be pried open without heating--but that's become rare. Then usually you will have to remove up to a dozen small screws holding the frame together, remove the side buttons without losing track of which way they fit, undo a couple of ribbon cables (the kind that clamp in, no connectors on them) and basically take apart multiple layers of the phone to access the battery, which may also be glued in or stuck with double-sided tape.
All of this with fitment and position being critical, so if you are not good with small parts, don't even think about it. It is very easy to do permanent damage.
But, just like surgery, if you are comfortable with that kind of stuff, it is a piece of cake. If you take it in to any "cell phone store" the capabilities of the staff vary from place to place. A busy store with no shouting customers that has been in the same location for five years probably is a good place to go. I'd expect to pay $25 for labor plus $40? for the battery, in a major US city.
Oh, and then there's the battery. If it is a generic no-name replacement...there are a lot of counterfeits on the market, sometimes they catch fire, sometimes they just don't have anywear near the power of the real thing. And when they are OEM batteries they cost a bloody fortune.

So roll the dice. Take good care of that battery and maybe in three more years you'll be wanting a new 5G phone anyway. (5G phones don't exist yet, 5G networks don't either.)

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I will just pass up the battery replacement and rather just get a new phone or another S9 in the future. I think most people do this, is just get another phone.

So in order to take good care of the battery, can you please explain some simple steps, like not go below a certain percent battery level or over a certain percentage? Since fast charging is enabled, over-charging is very unlikely since most of the time I sit by my phone even when its charging, and when I glance over and see the green LED, I take the charging cable out of the phone.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
For the best battery life?
1. Disable fast charging. Doesn't matter how well it is done, fast charging shortens battery life significantly.
2. keep the battery between 90-95%, and 20-30%. Never 100% unless you think you will really need it, never less than 20% unless you have to.

Can't be more specific than that because each battery chemistry and internal controls are different. But these two steps should take you from 500 charge cycles up to 1500 or more charge cycles. Get in the habit of carrying a small "lipstick charger" or powerbank if you need to run for longer days, and never leave it on a charger for a 'full' unattended charge.

With an S9 you can also get a "power bank case" that fits like a thick phone case, and has an extra battery in it. Makes the phone twice as thick, gives you twice the battery power. Can be used to boost the life of older phones with weak batteries--but they'll be harder to find for an "old S9" in two years.

The better laptop computers use these same limits in their charge control options, for the same reason.

Or, just use it, and expect that after 500 full cycles, close to two years, you'll be wanting to replace it.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the support and quick feedback on this.
When it comes the time for the battery to actually fully die on my phone, then I will just get a new phone. No big deal.

crossdeath

Oct 18, 2018
Visit site

Nowdays smartphones are really smart, so once the battery reaches 100%, the phone just starts using power from the outlet, not the battery. You should be fine.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking at this, since the used S9 I bought had terrible battery life.
It looks like a $40 / half hour job. A little more cost, if you don't have the necessary tools.
Doing it yourself, benefits are not having to factory reset the phone, before handing it to a stranger and knowing the replacement was done right, with a part quality of your choosing.
Parts and instructions here...
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S9+Battery+Replacement/116660#s224944

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord