Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

skaterkidinpain

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
forget that,the only problem i have is that i have everything i launch the command prompt,and it goesok and well and then when it goes to erase cache it says failed and then my andriod reboots and white screen says S on...Please someone help .. step by step to do after everything is downloaded or a youtube video

phonenerdxd

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
.same as above. Expercing the same thing . Anyone have a YouTube video if downgrading ? HTC inc 2. I have everything downloaded nd run cmd as a admin nd then I click the hack vivow. The next thing I know it says erase cache failed ? . Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong I put all the files in one folder . Please someone make a YouTube video

Mrfitz

May 7, 2010
Visit site
.same as above. Expercing the same thing . Anyone have a YouTube video if downgrading ? HTC inc 2. I have everything downloaded nd run cmd as a admin nd then I click the hack vivow. The next thing I know it says erase cache failed ? . Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong I put all the files in one folder . Please someone make a YouTube video

Are you running the from the command prompt or are you double-clicking it? If you are running from the command prompt which folder are you in when you run it? Did you unzip everything to one folder or did you maintain the folder structure of the zip? Are you mounting the sdcard for read/write or are you selecting charge only?

phonenerdxd

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I unzipped everything to a folder in the local disk named tools and I run hack vivow and it does its thing I see how it reads all the files in the folder then it stops at erase cache failed and goes to a white screen (on phone) says hboot 0.98 and s on nd it doesnt go back to the regular screen so I end up having to take it out ...so yea if u want can u do like a step by step.thing what to do after u put everything in one folder and thanks for the reply

ThirstyTurtle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
mine appears to have worked but has been sitting on the "HTC" screen for like 10 minutes. I put all of the files in a folder named "adb" and then ran the "hack-vivow" script as an admin, lots of things happened, phone came up with the boot screen and said s-off. Now the command prompt on the computer says "C:\adb>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip < waiting for device >

What do you guys think? Is it just flashing 2.3.3 right now? It's been at least 10 minutes...

Mrfitz

May 7, 2010
Visit site
mine appears to have worked but has been sitting on the "HTC" screen for like 10 minutes. I put all of the files in a folder named "adb" and then ran the "hack-vivow" script as an admin, lots of things happened, phone came up with the boot screen and said s-off. Now the command prompt on the computer says "C:\adb>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip < waiting for device >

What do you guys think? Is it just flashing 2.3.3 right now? It's been at least 10 minutes...

I thought the hack_vivow just changes the bootloader. After you run that then you run the revolutionary tool for root and clockworkmod recovery. After that you can flash a new rom.

The "hack_vivow" does take a while, but when I did it I was also doing other stuff, so I didn't really notice how long it took.

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The hack_vivow just changes the bootloader. After you run that then you run the revolutionary tool for root and clockworkmod recovery. After that you can flash a new rom.

Well from reading this thread and what my command prompt says it certainly appears that running the included script automatically flashes the stock Verizon RUU 2.3.3. THEN I'll have to use revolutionary for root which only works on 2.3.3 and not 2.3.4, the entire purpose for downgrading the bootloader and GB version yes?

So what do we think since mine's been stuck on the "HTC" screen for 20 minutes...battery pull? I don't want to do anything if it's just installing 2.3.3 but it appears to just be stuck, in which case I don't know the best course of action...

Mrfitz

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I unzipped everything to a folder in the local disk named tools and I run hack vivow and it does its thing I see how it reads all the files in the folder then it stops at erase cache failed and goes to a white screen (on phone) says hboot 0.98 and s on nd it doesnt go back to the regular screen so I end up having to take it out ...so yea if u want can u do like a step by step.thing what to do after u put everything in one folder and thanks for the reply

I know I'm not being very helpful, but this is the sequence I followed:

Turned fastboot off on the phone, turned on usb debugging.

Installed htc drivers on my pc.

Connected phone - selected "charge Only"

Opened a command prompt as administrator.

Changed to the directory of the unzipped hack_vivow

typed hack_vivow.cmd hit enter.

That was it. The script is set up to find everything where they were when the package was zipped, which is why you have to change to the directory hack_vivow.cmd is in before you run it.

After that revolutionary.

After that dled cm7.1 flashed, and got bootloop because I forgot to wipe the phone before flashing. Used abd to boot into the bootloader, wiped, reflashed. Everything is good.

ThirstyTurtle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I know I'm not being very helpful, but this is the sequence I followed:

Turned fastboot off on the phone, turned on usb debugging.

Installed htc drivers on my pc.

Connected phone - selected "charge Only"

Opened a command prompt as administrator.

Changed to the directory of the unzipped hack_vivow

typed hack_vivow.cmd hit enter.

That was it. The script is set up to find everything where they were when the package was zipped, which is why you have to change to the directory hack_vivow.cmd is in before you run it.

After that revolutionary.

After that dled cm7.1 flashed, and got bootloop because I forgot to wipe the phone before flashing. Used abd to boot into the bootloader, wiped, reflashed. Everything is good.

Thanks a lot! That did it, I'm now successfully back to 2.3.3 and I assume the Revolutionary and everything will work but I'll have to wait until after lunch with some friends to test that out.

Mrfitz

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well from reading this thread and what my command prompt says it certainly appears that running the included script automatically flashes the stock Verizon RUU 2.3.3. THEN I'll have to use revolutionary for root which only works on 2.3.3 and not 2.3.4, the entire purpose for downgrading the bootloader and GB version yes?

So what do we think since mine's been stuck on the "HTC" screen for 20 minutes...battery pull? I don't want to do anything if it's just installing 2.3.3 but it appears to just be stuck, in which case I don't know the best course of action...

I don't think it should take that long, but I really wasn't paying attention when I did it. If it's just flashing the old rom I doubt it would hurt to start over.

But I see you've got it! Great!

lt thistle541

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would like to thank everyone who helped out. This thread helped me figure this out in a couple of hours, not to bad for a first try i would like to think, but very helpfull

Blauman

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I downgraded and did S-Off yesterday and flashed the Virtuous Unity 2.39 Sense 3.0 ROM and am loving it. The only thing that stinks is setting everything back up but doing this got rid of a lot of apps I never really used anymore.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I am going to try. I might break this into multiple replies and might not get them all up tonight. I will assume you are in Windows 7 for all of this! I did use an Ubuntu Live CD to do the s-off procedure, but I think there is revolutionary instructions for Windows.

(1) First enable USB debugging on your phone by going to Settings->Applications->Development. Then turn off fastboot by going to Settings->Power (this is different than the fastboot mode choice once in recovery, which is used with the fastboot.exe that is part of the Android SDK.)

(2) Next install the HTC USB Driver for the Droid Incredible 2. You can find the download link in the XDA downgrade thread at [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers

(3) Install the Android SDK, which will include ADB and Fastboot. You can find the instructions and the download link here: What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK

You can skip the USB driver install because you have what you need from Step (2). Fastboot is in the platform tools folder. I just moved adb.exe and adbwinapi.dll from the tools folder to the platform tools folder so they are in the same location as fastboot. I also place any files I am flashing to the phone, etc in that same folder. It just makes is easier to change to that folder at the command prompt and execute commands from there. (The easy way to open the folder at the command prompt in Windows 7 is to hold down shift and right click the folder. You will get a command window option.)

At this point you should have a C:\android-sdk-windows folder and the necessary files under it. If you have trouble to here, I don't think you should go any further.

As an alternative to step (3), and easier, is to download attn1's kit from [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers. It contains the files necessary to run adb and fastboot without installing the Android SDK. The key is to put all of the files from his kit under .\tools\win in the same folder as the files in the root folder of his kit (namely misc_version, zergRush, etc). Put them in c:\adb would be my suggestion.

Assuming you did the paragraph above, which I recommend. Do the following:

(4) Open the command prompt and change to c:\adb. Connect your phone via USB as charge only. You should have USB debugging enabled per the above. Manually execute the commands from attn1's downgrade thread. Namely:

adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*
adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
fastboot reboot

At this point, you should have downgraded your hboot and can gain s-off.

(5) Attn1's thread also contains the link to gaining s-off and installing cwm (clockworkmod recovery) using Revolutionary: Revolutionary

You should be able to run this per the instructions there. This will set security off and install the clockwordmod recovery. You can follow this thread for more thorough instructions: [How to] Root Your DInc2 Tutorial! (2.3.3 GB Only) - xda-developers

At this point you are downgraded with s-off and clockworkdmod installed. You now have everything you need to flash ROM's, etc.

(6) You should read about flashing ROM's, etc here: Ox's noob corner (work in progress)- everything you need to get started right here - xda-developers

There are other resources if you search.

(7) You get into recovery by turning off your phone. Then hold volume down and power on. Then you use the volume keys to move the cursor up and down one in the bootloader. Use the power button to choose options. The same goes for once you are in recovery. You should see an option called "recovery" once booted into the bootloader. This will run CWM. The first thing you should do is do a nandroid backup in the backup and recovery menu. Make sure you have a least 1 GB free on your SD-card (I keep 4 GB for experimenting with ROM's). This will backup your stock ROM setup.

(8) Now you can reboot, download ROM's to your SD card and flash them as instructed. Good luck.

Make us a video!!!! Please :)

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
i'm trying to take my incredible 2 back to stock so that i can sell it to a patron from craigslist. when i try to run the hack this is what i get...

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\adb.exe copy
tools\win\adb.exe C:\Windows
Access is denied.
0 file(s) copied.

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\AdbWinApi.dll
copy tools\win\AdbWinApi.dll C:\Windows
Access is denied.
0 file(s) copied.

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\AdbWinUsbApi.
dll copy tools\win\AdbWinUsbApi.dll C:\Windows
Access is denied.
0 file(s) copied.

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\fastboot.exe
copy tools\win\fastboot.exe C:\Windows
Access is denied.
0 file(s) copied.

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\sleep.exe cop
y tools\win\sleep.exe C:\Windows
Access is denied.
0 file(s) copied.

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*
error: device not found

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRu
sh

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/mi
sc_version

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zerg
Rush

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc
_version

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>echo Sleeping 10 secs while adb restarts
on the device....
Sleeping 10 secs while adb restarts on the device....

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>sleep 10

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/l
ocal/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb reboot bootloader

C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>fastboot oem rebootRUU
< waiting for device >

anyone have an idea why this might be?

sjpritch25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
i'm trying to take my incredible 2 back to stock so that i can sell it to a patron from craigslist. when i try to run the hack this is what i get...

anyone have an idea why this might be?

I assume its S-OFF. You need to search for the tutorial to get back to s-on. That is the tutorial to downgrade to get s-off.
two totally different things.

tack

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Turn coat.....:eek:

Guilty... and missing the flexibility of Android a bit already!

There are advantages and disadvantages of each platform. I could use any of them, but I highly suspect I will be back to Android in the next 6 months to a year.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance