Beeper bringing iMessage to Android is great, but I can't help but feel nervous

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just love how iPhone users make this into a problem with Android. This is an iPhone problem, not an Android problem. I am able to text back and forth between Androids just fine. If Apple wants to drag their feet to adopt the newest texting technologies that's on them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use an Android device for work and plenty customers with iPhones and we text without issues, if they want see blue bubble well they are not going to lol. I really don't know what the fascination is Android users need to find a way to communicate with Imessage which u can but like I said without blue bubble lol.

Like I'm cool if I have a blue bubble or I won't get a text because I'm not in blue

By the way I send GIF/likes to their comments

Reactions: 1raygin

storm14k

May 21, 2010
Visit site
When you step back and realize that this is all about sending strings of text to each other it all seems rather stupid. How the the hell did we get to this compatibility nightmare? If I remember Google kicked it off with Chat many years ago. Before then most of the protocols were open enough to have apps that could support them all like Trillian.

sgtm8

Sep 11, 2023
Visit site
I just love how iPhone users make this into a problem with Android. This is an iPhone problem, not an Android problem. I am able to text back and forth between Androids just fine. If Apple wants to drag their feet to adopt the newest texting technologies that's on them.
It isn't even an iPhone problem. It is a US iPhone problem. Only in the USA is iMessage really a "thing". Worldwide, the most common messaging app is WhatsApp. Next most common is Facebook Messenger. Only people who own iPhones use iMessage. And they use it, just because it is there on the phone, and they don't know any better. The limitations of iMessage compared to WhatsApp is huge. That is why WhatsApp is the leading messaging service.

Reactions: cribble2k

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It isn't even an iPhone problem. It is a US iPhone problem. Only in the USA is iMessage really a "thing". Worldwide, the most common messaging app is WhatsApp. Next most common is Facebook Messenger. Only people who own iPhones use iMessage. And they use it, just because it is there on the phone, and they don't know any better. The limitations of iMessage compared to WhatsApp is huge. That is why WhatsApp is the leading messaging service.
True. I've joked several times that my solution is to just not text people with iPhones, which is actually true. but the reason is just because everyone uses something else in the UK. I do hate relying on Meta products though... but it is better than the weird iPhone lock-in the US tolerates.

sgtm8

Sep 11, 2023
Visit site
True. I've joked several times that my solution is to just not text people with iPhones, which is actually true. but the reason is just because everyone uses something else in the UK. I do hate relying on Meta products though... but it is better than the weird iPhone lock-in the US tolerates.
It isn't really an iPhone "lock-in". It is just that 57% of people in the USA have iPhones. I have no problem with Meta products myself, but there are other products out there. The issue, is that you want something that everyone else uses. That is generally WhatsApp. Although I am American, I haven't lived in the USA since 2007. I currently maintain two residences overseas. In one location, everyone uses WhatsApp, in the other they use Viber. So I use both, plus occasionally Messenger.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
I use an Android device for work and plenty customers with iPhones and we text without issues, if they want see blue bubble well they are not going to lol. I really don't know what the fascination is Android users need to find a way to communicate with Imessage which u can but like I said without blue bubble lol.

Like I'm cool if I have a blue bubble or I won't get a text because I'm not in blue

By the way I send GIF/likes to their comments
SMS Testing and Instant Messaging are quite different. Yes in both you send text but that's where the similarities end.

Still using SMS in 2023 is pretty remarkable.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
It gets weirder.

The response you always get is "Do we really want all our messaging to go via Meta".

What as opposed to Apple?

Reactions: sgtm8 and cribble2k

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
It isn't really an iPhone "lock-in". It is just that 57% of people in the USA have iPhones. I have no problem with Meta products myself, but there are other products out there. The issue, is that you want something that everyone else uses. That is generally WhatsApp.
That's not as high as I was expecting. That can also be read as just under half don't.

I have a hard time believing Americans only message on iMessage, expecting Instagram is heavily used too.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
SMS Testing and Instant Messaging are quite different. Yes in both you send text but that's where the similarities end.

Still using SMS in 2023 is pretty remarkable.
Well sms still around unfortunately
For both platforms Apple and Android if not using their protocol message app both parties it will send sms

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
We need more Apple experts writing for Android Central. 😭🤮

Seriously, this whole "iMessage" issue is only a USA thing, not many people worldwide use it, compared to its usage in the USA.

I've never had issues texting with anyone, regardless of what phone they're using. No one's even mentioned that the colour of my bubble in their app bothered them.

Reactions: rvbfan and sgtm8

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah true and it's used in all the places WhatsApp is popular.

But the difference here, it seems Americans still use it as their primary messaging solution when even older folk use better solutions elsewhere.
Yeah I'm in the US , I do use WhatsApp/telegram/Facebook messenger calls /Google Duo
For family, friends, customers that are in other countries I keep in contact with or if I travel which has been less because of COVID protocols that were in place in the past.

Reactions: bradavon

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I think it's not about the bubble color that's more for joking ...you do need to find ways to send better quality photos and or videos which degrade over standard messaging ..so yes use other forms to send across for those situations...

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
iMessage is not an Android problem. I can communicate (including sending and receiving texts) with anyone with no issues. I really don't get the infatuation with the blue and green bubbles.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
...I really don't get the infatuation with the blue and green bubbles.
Like you said it's an Apple thing, a logic that Apple users think represents evidence that non-Apple phones are inferior, it doesn't need to impact Android users, and it only really comes into consideration when an Android user has several Apple users in their communications groups (or if the Android user is susceptible to Apple peer pressure). If one chooses, the situation can be used to somewhat help educate and infom naive Apple users. Normally the discussion doesn't make a difference, but I have seen a few light bulbs turn on for Apple users when I explain to them how iMessaging isn't text messaging but instead is an Apple proprietary app/protocol that contributes to users remaining slave to Apple.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Why not? The ability to use it is basically there by default included on every phone that uses an actual true phone number on a carrier network, and without the need to have to sign-up for some other additional account or service or app.
Indeed why not.

Then why so much conversatin about the blue bubble vs. green bubble thing if everyone is so happy with SMS? 😉

Actually there is a why not. It's effectively text only. Which is really outdated in 2023. I only needed to sign up to one service incidentally and I've done that now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali