Before Evo setup??

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I am coming from the pre and have not used android before, is there anything I can do before to make things go smoother? Like contacts and stuff and my yahoo email? Is it pretty easy to set this up on the evo?

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Step 1: Get a Gmail account and add all your contacts to it. Then when you getthe Evo, use that Gmail account as the default and all your contacts will be synced.

I heard there are ways to export your Pre contacts and import them to Gmail somehow. not sure how, but I heard it's possible.

Step 2: Stop using Yahoo mail! :) Actually, Yahoo can be setup as an IMAP account on the Evo, but it's not push and none of the other services (like Yahoo Calendar, etc) will sync natively. I believe there are apps that will do it, but it's not built-in.

That's all I can think of for now :)

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't sprint move them over to the Evo for me? I have close to 140 contacts and only about 30 or so are not Facebook.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Oh yeah, I believe Sprint can move them to your phone, but you will definitely want to setup a Gmail account for your contacts to sync to. That way, if an update for the phone comes out that requires you to wipe the phone, the contacts will be safe in the cloud.

Android is Google, so everything Google just works better on Android :)

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I talked to the guys at Best Buy and they said they'll be able to transfer my contacts from the Pre over to the Evo. But don't take my word for it, I'd do what has already been suggested and sync your contacts with a Gmail account. Or if you have Preware installed, there's a patch you can install called "Send all contacts via Email".

HENDAWG

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Step 1: Get a Gmail account and add all your contacts to it. Then when you getthe Evo, use that Gmail account as the default and all your contacts will be synced.

I heard there are ways to export your Pre contacts and import them to Gmail somehow. not sure how, but I heard it's possible.
I tried this, and it didn't work for me, but it could be just me, I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to this technical stuff.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
ok I got my contacts over to gmail but it did not move the Pics.

Do you use Outlook as well??
If so, download a copy of CompanionLink for Google and it'll sync the contact pics from Outlook to GMail to phone.. or from Phone to GMail to Outlook..

At least that's how mine works..

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you can export your contacts from Yahoo or your Palm account in a CVS or vCard format, Gmail can easily import them.

"Import
We support importing CSV files from Outlook, Outlook Express, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Eudora and some other apps. We also support importing vCard from apps like Apple Address Book."

gregg6942#AC

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how yahoo messenger will work on the Evo?
No one I know uses google talk. Is there an app that will work like on the Pre?..If I use meebo, or trillian or some web based thing will it notify me of messages?
I have never used Android so any info will be greatly appreciated.

bdarknessb

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Another thing you might want to do it head over to appbrain.com and look over apps available for android. Create and account on the website and add the apps you want onto your account. Once you get the phone, download the appbrain App from the market and it'll show you all the apps you selected along with a link to the market place to download them.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
There are many apps that integrate with all the IM systems, Yahoo Messenger included. Interestingly, my Evo did not come with any preinstalled, whereas my Hero did. But like I said, there are many out there :)

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I got all of them over to gmail I just can't figure out the pictures that go with them.

I think pictures are a one way sync from Gmail to the phone, but not the other way around. If you manually upload the pictures in Gmail contacts, you should eventually see them on your phone.

I have very few contacts I do that way because most of my contacts are also my Facebook friends, and it pulls their Facebook profile pics onto the phone as their contact pic.

--------
Sent from my HTC Evo 'cause that's how I roll.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
ok so you can use facebook for the contacts? Does it use their profile picts? And the rest of my contacts I have now saved to my gmail account with their profile pics. So you can use multiple contact accounts?

So really what I should ask, is that I only have about 20-30 contacts on my Palm profile I added them to gmail with pictures. The rest is facebook so I should just be able to sigh into my gmail and facebook accounts and it will down load the contacts to the Evo? And can you link accounts together like you can do on the Pre??

Last edited:

gregg6942#AC

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There are many apps that integrate with all the IM systems, Yahoo Messenger included. Interestingly, my Evo did not come with any preinstalled, whereas my Hero did. But like I said, there are many out there :)
Thanks ,I was wondering if there was IM messenger app pre-installed.
guess I'll have to experiment, I found hiyahoo, ebuddy, & yup, numerous others. Any preferences?

xandrake

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
OP, you can sync contacts with gmail, but it will not keep your linked profile data. In order to properly send the linked contacts to the EVO or gmail, you need to use a Preware patch called "Send all contacts via email" or something to that extent. It will email you a file that can be used to import into any application, phone or webapp that does contacts or email and everything is still linked.

Hope this helps.

Xan

auburnmk

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to have my Evo blessed in at least three religions before taking it out of the box, and then maybe dipped in carbonite, and then.....

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
ok so you can use facebook for the contacts? Does it use their profile picts? And the rest of my contacts I have now saved to my gmail account with their profile pics. So you can use multiple contact accounts?

So really what I should ask, is that I only have about 20-30 contacts on my Palm profile I added them to gmail with pictures. The rest is facebook so I should just be able to sigh into my gmail and facebook accounts and it will down load the contacts to the Evo? And can you link accounts together like you can do on the Pre??

Yes, the Evo has the ability to link contacts from many sources...Gmail, Exchange, Facebook, Twitter....It even offers suggestions for linking if two names are similar but not exact.

And the Facebook contacts do use the Facebook pictures as the contact picture, and adds a little FB icon in the bottom left corner of the contact pic.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the Evo has the ability to link contacts from many sources...Gmail, Exchange, Facebook, Twitter....It even offers suggestions for linking if two names are similar but not exact.

And the Facebook contacts do use the Facebook pictures as the contact picture, and adds a little FB icon in the bottom left corner of the contact pic.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I did get all of my contacts with profile pics transferred to my Gmail so I am now EVO ready. thanks for all the help.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards