Best App to use for hands-free in the car...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2014 FRS that does not have Android Auto. It has a Pioneer head unit with a good BT capability. For years (even prior to the FRS) I've used Agent - Do Not Disturb, just for the hands-free operation. It is not very well supported, so OS upgrades have caused hiccups along the way, sometimes the Dev fixes stuff, sometimes not. As of MM, it has some fatal flaws.

I've tried a bunch of hands-free apps and I currently bought CarDashdriod, which is OK, but is sometimes flaky connecting to my BT in the car. I also really don't like that it presumes that I always want a Dashboard view to take over my phone. I don't use a holder/stand on my dash, as I don't want the distraction while driving - so that "feature" is a PIA.

I want inbound SMS's to be read aloud, and to be offered the option to respond via voice - all the while not touching, or needing to look at my phone. I also rely on the auto-send feature that lets texters know that I am driving and that a response may not be immediate. I thought Google Now was going to cover the inbound/outbound SMS stuff, but the last time I tried it, it wasn't as quick/reliable as Agent was, or as CarDashdroid currently is. Still there are aforementioned drawbacks to CarDashdroid, so I am still looking.

What are you guys using for this?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, for years now I've noticed a striking relative lack of conversation on the topic of hands-free apps for SMS/email while driving. Sure, there's some, but compared to other mobile app topics, it's not a hot topic by any stretch.

Does this mean that:
- Everyone totally ignores texts/emails while driving since everyone is 100% focused on driving safely?

- Everyone has figured out a way to use Google Now to elegantly handle inbound and outbound text/email without touching or looking at their phone, and I am the only one in the dark (along with the previous poster)?

- Everyone is texting and emailing just fine while they are driving and no one sees much need to be hands-free (and eyes-free)?

Just wondering...

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I use Android Auto in my 2016 Honda Accord wired between phone and car. If I want to go wireless, then I use "readittome" pro version.

Ian B

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I tried Touchless Notifications, and found the UI to be overly complicated. It has tons of features and capabilities, and it all is surfaced in a UX that does not make it easy enough to be worth the effort. I just want to pair the app with my car, and request that inbound and outbound SMS's be handled hands-free. Agent is designed like that.

I happened to grab Readittome before I saw the post from Ian above. Good timing!
Haven't been back in my car to see how it works, but setting it up took 10 seconds.
Here's hoping...
I'll buy the Pro version in a heartbeat it the app actually works.

On another front, I've explored Google Now more in the past few days for use in the car. I am a big Now fan and use it all the time for other things. But when it comes to managing your communication while you are driving, Now really comes up short IMO. For instance, there's a command "Show me my last messages" that can be used after the fact -- vs. handling the message the moment it comes in --, but for some spooky reason, Now reads texts from last week, not the most recent as it should. Sucks. I investigated that and found that others had the same complaint, so I just dropped Google Now for this purpose.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Readittome is doing the same thing that Agent was: not giving me time to reply!

The app asks: "Do you want to reply to this message" and a nanosecond later the app says "I didn't get that" and asks again, and again giving me no time to reply.

I've done this in totally quiet environments, so it's not that the app is hearing me, or anything else for that matter when it's asking to try again. It doesn't work on BT or off BT. So, it's not that.

Any ideas?

On another front, anyone know why Google Now, when asked to show me my messages, shows me messages from weeks back?

I am trying to make ANYTHING work, Google Now, various apps, ect., and getting no love.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Deleted every app that supposed to handle inbound SMS.
Posted issue for Google Now on their product forum.
This is 2016, right? We can't do this on Android??

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Billykac.......Have you tried writing to the Readittome developer about the nanosecond for replying? I see there is a delay you can set for receiving. It would be nice to have a delay in answering. I haven't used the app for some time but it used to work just fine for replying.

Last edited:

AndreB9

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I have posted my gripes re hands free issues and Android, but there seems to be little interest. Seems most users don't have a need.

My problems relate to getting ALL sounds, notifications, ringtone, keypad tones etc through the headset. Secondly having an auto answer feature which is missing on my current Xperia X Compact.

I have tried various apps, but most are unreliable or simply don't work. I really wish the Android gyus will wake up and make this a standard feature in the OS it is after all a safety issue !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qaz