Best Buy question

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Seriously considering buying one from best buy. I have gift cards and can use 0%financing. I am on Verizon. If I am correct I would need to buy the Sprint version because it is just like the one from the Play store. Or are both versions Sim locked? My other reason would be for the insurance.

Posted via the Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Seriously considering buying one from best buy. I have gift cards and can use 0%financing. I am on Verizon. If I am correct I would need to buy the Sprint version because it is just like the one from the Play store. Or are both versions Sim locked? My other reason would be for the insurance.

Hello. Could you clarify what you mean by "just like the one from the Play Store?" There are reports that the Nexus 6 will work with Verizon: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/31/nexus-6-working-on-verizon-out-of-the-box/ , but I believe that is the international (no carrier) version. Verizon, I believe, is also getting their own version of the Nexus 6 very soon so I would keep that in mind.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
There is only one version of the Nexus 6 other than 32GB and 64GB. Carriers recognize their own "versions" by recognizing MEID number sequences.

They all recognize MEID sequences from Google and Motorola.

Sequences purchased by competing services may be a problem simply by not recognizing the MEID number as valid for the competing service.

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
At&t has added things that can't be removed. I know At&t version is sim locked also. I don't believe Sprint has. I thought I read that the Sprint version and TMobile version are unmolested. Verizon doesnt even acknowledge the device exists how can they block it.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
At&t has added things that can't be removed. I know At&t version is sim locked also. I don't believe Sprint has. I thought I read that the Sprint version and TMobile version are unmolested. Verizon doesnt even acknowledge the device exists how can they block it.
They can block it by simply not having yet added its MEID to their system.

Once you put any carriers SIM in, isn't the device then locked to that carrier?

What has AT&T added?

fanaticalism

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
They can block it by simply not having yet added its MEID to their system.

It isn't blocked it just can't activate from a new sim as the IMEI isn't recognized. The sim would need to be activated prior to using an ESN that is registered on their network already.

Once you put any carriers SIM in, isn't the device then locked to that carrier?

No.

What has AT&T added?

Google included an OEM partition so that carriers can customize the boot screen. There is also an ATT logo on the back. For all intents and purposes it is still a Nexus and there is no real difference between carrier branded devices and those purchased from Moto or GP.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It isn't blocked it just can't activate from a new sim as the IMEI isn't recognized. The sim would need to be activated prior to using an ESN that is registered on their network already.

No.

Google included an OEM partition so that carriers can customize the boot screen. There is also an ATT logo on the back. For all intents and purposes it is still a Nexus and there is no real difference between carrier branded devices and those purchased from Moto or GP.
Symantics having to do with the word "blocked"? What's the difference between IMEI, MEID, and IMEID?

Are you then saying that there are carriers where you can activate their SIM on their system and then use the phone with that SIM on other carriers?

Ouch, I would never buy an N6 from AT&T because of that desecration. I love my pure, unadulterated Android.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly