Best method transferring data from iPhone to Samsung S22

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Obviously, going from Android to Android or iOS to iOS is (typically) a simple transfer process. However, when going from one to the other can be a bit of a challenge. I am picking up a S22 Ultra later today and just curious what do you prefer when transferring data from iOS to Android or vise versa?

I've had both positive and negative experiences in the past when going from one operating system to another. I have also read, that it is better to set it up as a new phone as certain items may or may not transfer over smoothly.

More than likely, I will set the Ultra up as a new, but it would be interesting to see other people's input and experiences.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I remember you were saying in another post you used SmartSwitch to restore a Samsung and I believe you said... as good as Apples backup and restore??!! :eek:

I wanted to ask you cause when I got my S22U I just did my normal, factory reset out of box, allow Samsung acount and Google account to restore whatever settings and apps it had backed up... but then after that there was still a bunch of configuring and settings that take days to remember and set back up. Such a pain and wish for an iOS like restore but never tried SmartSwitch or know how reliable.

So my question is... does SmartSwitch do a 100% restore of the phone as if the drive was basically cloned??

I mean when iOS makes backups on the cloud and you wipe your device and choose to restore a backup, it is as close to 1-to-1 as you get down to the tabs and sites on my browsers still there from last backup with few, if any, accounts you need to log back on to. You also rock an iPhone so you know get the same experience to restoring an iOS device right?

I haven't run SmartSwitch ever but if you say it's a complete backup and restore like that then I'll give it a try next time.

But you have to cable up to backup your phone to PC though right? No cloud?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I remember you were saying in another post you used SmartSwitch to restore a Samsung and I believe you said... as good as Apples backup and restore??!! :eek:

I wanted to ask you cause when I got my S22U I just did my normal, factory reset out of box, allow Samsung acount and Google account to restore whatever settings and apps it had backed up... but then after that there was still a bunch of configuring and settings that take days to remember and set back up. Such a pain and wish for an iOS like restore but never tried SmartSwitch or know how reliable.

So my question is... does SmartSwitch do a 100% restore of the phone as if the drive was basically cloned??

I mean when iOS makes backups on the cloud and you wipe your device and choose to restore a backup, it is as close to 1-to-1 as you get down to the tabs and sites on my browsers still there from last backup with few, if any, accounts you need to log back on to. You also rock an iPhone so you know get the same experience to restoring an iOS device right?

I haven't run SmartSwitch ever but if you say it's a complete backup and restore like that then I'll give it a try next time.

But you have to cable up to backup your phone to PC though right? No cloud?
Yeah so smart switch on PC back up photos and everything which is different from smart switch on device that back up basic stuff no photos that's one drive if you opt in . Just connect with cable to PC no cloud for PC smart switch.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah so smart switch on PC back up photos and everything which is different from smart switch on device that back up basic stuff no photos that's one drive if you opt in . Just connect with cable to PC no cloud for PC smart switch.

Restores the apps but down to basically last point of use like the tabs and sites?

Instead of hooking up to PC, can you plug in a Sandisk USB-C jump drive and backup to that?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Restores the apps but down to basically last point of use like the tabs and sites?

Instead of hooking up to PC, can you plug in a Sandisk USB-C jump drive and backup to that?
Last sites and tabs used is usually done with sync Google account not sure if smart switch pc does that as it always was automatically because i use both smart switch and google back up

With SanDisk that might be possible but never tried

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Well, I guess it can't be any worse doing it manually like now.

I asked about jump drive because I figured with a jump drive one can keep a backup stored safely or has a solution with you in your tech bag all in a jump drive.

Really too bad Samsung doesn't take that solution to cloud cause you have to plug in now and then to keep your backup up to date.

Last sites and tabs used is usually done with sync Google account not sure if smart switch pc does that as it always was automatically because i use both smart switch and google back up

With SanDisk that might be possible but never tried

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
More than likely, I will set the Ultra up as a new, but it would be interesting to see other people's input and experiences.

Sorry to highjack your post but as mentioned you do have SmartSwitch available when you first power on your new phone.

I'd say you have nothing to lose to try and see how complete the xfer is. Would be cool if you could share your experience and let us know how complete or not it was.

Worst case if it were not to your liking, you can just do a factory reset since it's brand new and set up from scratch like you originally intended. Good luck.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok. Well, I guess it can't be any worse doing it manually like now.

I asked about jump drive because I figured with a jump drive one can keep a backup stored safely or has a solution with you in your tech bag all in a jump drive.

Really too bad Samsung doesn't take that solution to cloud cause you have to plug in now and then to keep your backup up to date.
Samsung still has cloud but it will only be these settings in my screenshot under settings>account and back up , so no photos or file manager in Samsung cloud

Smart switch PC doesn't need cloud similar like SanDisk but not portable to carry around or as easily .Screenshot_20220609-122756_Samsung%20Cloud.jpg

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung still has cloud but it will only be these settings in my screenshot under settings>account and back up , so no photos or file manager in Samsung cloud

Smart switch PC doesn't need cloud similar like SanDisk but not portable to carry around or as easily .

Yeah that's what I been currently using on my Samsungs since it wants you to log into your Samsung at first boot anyways and then prompt you restore your backup which I allow to save me the hassle of re-installing 100 apps. And then when you log into your Google account, it also wants to restore it's backup and I let that go. I forget what each one is restoring but I let both of them go about doing their stuff and then finish whatever is left to setup.

As you can see below it's never perfect. On Right is N20U and on left is S22U after letting Samsung/Google do their restore... Still didn't re-download and restore all the apps (Twitter missing. In total about 2-4 apps were missing) that should have been. :-\ Nothing close to Apple's solution.

Attachments

• 4C4212B7-33E4-4ECB-B788-9948FB0E884D.jpg
    4C4212B7-33E4-4ECB-B788-9948FB0E884D.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 8

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah that's what I been currently using on my Samsungs since it wants you to log into your Samsung at first boot anyways and then prompt you restore your backup which I allow to save me the hassle of re-installing 100 apps. And then when you log into your Google account, it also wants to restore it's backup and I let that go. I forget what each one is restoring but I let both of them go about doing their stuff and then finish whatever is left to setup.

As you can see below it's never perfect. On Right is N20U and on left is S22U after letting Samsung/Google do their restore... Still didn't re-download and restore all the apps (Twitter missing. In total about 2-4 apps were missing) that should have been. :-\ Nothing close to Apple's solution.
Thats the way when I set-up a new device, google log in and Samsung log in , then smart switch pc , havnt missed anything, strange you did.

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I've used Smart Switch before, more so when my wife upgrades her Samsung devices. The process goes pretty smoothly for the most part. Some stuff doesn't transfer over such as passwords on certain apps. She can stick with a phone for 2+ years.

It's me who is the mobile phone enthusiast (to put it nicely) and goes from one device to another more times than I should. I have gone from a Huawei phone to a Samsung using Smart Switch with no issues. In my experience, the Pixel devices were more problematic going to a Samsung than the other way around.

When I switched to the iPhone 13, I just set it up as a new device because of not being able to transfer text messages over to iOS. Now, that I am going back to Samsung will text messages transfer to the S22 Ultra? SMS backup & restore is not available on iOS like it is on Android. I'm not concerned about apps. They can always be re-downloaded from the Play store.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Googling it says texts and even phone logs.

Will be interesting to hear if that is true.

"With Smart Switch, you can transfer your apps, contacts, call logs, messages, photos, videos and other content to your new Galaxy device quickly and easily — whether you’re upgrading from an older Samsung smartphone, another Android device, an iPhone or even a Windows phone."

I've used Smart Switch before, more so when my wife upgrades her Samsung devices. The process goes pretty smoothly for the most part. Some stuff doesn't transfer over such as passwords on certain apps. She can stick with a phone for 2+ years.

It's me who is the mobile phone enthusiast (to put it nicely) and goes from one device to another more times than I should. I have gone from a Huawei phone to a Samsung using Smart Switch with no issues. In my experience, the Pixel devices were more problematic going to a Samsung than the other way around.

When I switched to the iPhone 13, I just set it up as a new device because of not being able to transfer text messages over to iOS. Now, that I am going back to Samsung will text messages transfer to the S22 Ultra? SMS backup & restore is not available on iOS like it is on Android. I'm not concerned about apps. They can always be re-downloaded from the Play store.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... you do Google login/restore, then Samsung login/restore AND SmartSwitch. All three. In that order?

That's interesting. My concern when just doing the two alone is if their is some overlap in Google restoring stuff, then Samsung simultaneously in the background and causing an issue. Then if you do SmartSwitch to the mix... :eek:

But I imagine you've done this quite a few times with success so I'll really have to give it a try next time. So far my S22U seems to be running fine doing it my usual way even though was missing a few apps. Thx.

Thats the way when I set-up a new device, google log in and Samsung log in , then smart switch pc , havnt missed anything, strange you did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali