Best way of saving battery

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
This is the definitive way of serious battery savings. I can attest that this works brilliantly.

To access this, swipe down to the quick panel and press "power saving"- not the button, but the words. Then press on "details" and you are presented with options.

May I suggest 2 variants of this. The 1st option I suggest is when you're at home or work. Toggle the power saving as in my screenshot and don't turn on the last option, "limit apps and home screen". This will give you all your apps and services but with incredible power saving. And I don't exaggerate on that. You will easily get 13hrs plus screen on time with this if you combine with a few other power saving measures. I personally get significantly more than 13 hrs SOT using this. Again, I am not exaggerating these numbers as I've tried this myself with repeatable results.

The 2nd option is when you're out and about and you need the battery to last the absolute maximum and you don't need all your apps on your phone. Then click on "limit apps and home screen". You will need to edit the bottom row of 4 apps to what apps you desire. But if you need your phone to last a very long time, this is how to do it.

Furthermore, with this 2nd option you can make your phone last even longer if you swipe down on quick panel and turn on "bedtime mode" which turns the whole display to black and white. Again, this 2nd option I'm only suggesting when you're out and about, only using a few apps that you have pre loaded and absolutely prioritise battery life.

But even that 1st option is incredibly good at extending battery life just at home and work. Try it out. If you combine these with things like dark mode on browsers and YouTube, dark wallpapers, optimised battery setting, adaptive battery on etc, you will be amazed at how long your battery will last.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-211809_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20220321-211809_Device care.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for sharing these tips, OP!

You're more than welcome. As a test tonight, I'm in the ED dept as I took my wife in who got bitten by a bat of all things. Ugh, don't ask.

I was watching YouTube and noted my battery at 67% and watched and kept checking the time it took to drop to 66%. My screen is set at FHD.

Well, it took 10 mins. So you do the math. This blows the iPhone 13 Pro Max out of the water.
And this is continuous YouTube viewing. Browsing on the internet only and the SOT will go even higher.

If you look at my screenshot, the projected battery life is 4 mins short of 24 hrs when I was at only 71%.

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Are you recommending using Power Saving mode full time as your regular running mode 24/7? Or only when you are in need of saving battery?

Not trying to make an argument here but I think most people are aware of the Power Saving mode and know you can stretch out your battery usage by enabling it and works great if you find yourself away from a charger and need to consider conserving to make it through the day or until you can charge but I don't think something for regular running if you want the best performance.

Sure you are going to outlast the iPhone 13 Pro Max. But then you aren't comparing 100% performance vs. 100% performance all features on. Looking at your settings, if you are running it as shown, you're basically running on limp mode... sure you are going to save a ton of battery but disabling AOD and throttling down your CPU by 30%, decrease brightness and turn off 5G and limp in 4G.

But in emergency use, it's a great tip.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm still running an N20U so my power settings may differ... but I thought there was a way to enable Power Saving mode when your battery level reaches a certain level and you could choose at what level it turns on. I would say having those settings enables at 20% to 15% would be a great idea because it would usually mean you haven't noticed you are running low and may not be home or near a place to immediately charge and need Power Saving mode on for a little insurance.

On the flip side, looking at battery settings I just discovered "Enhanced processing" toggle to boost processing to make things run faster. Turned it on cause I want to be running at max performance on my phone. :p

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Turn on all the things.

Turn off all the things.

It’s difficult to know which to do since both are appealing in different ways. 🤔

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
My strategy is that if a full overnight charge gets me through a day of typical usage (as it does, easily), then I don't in any way limit my phone's performance or features for the sake of the battery. But if limitations are needed, your suggestions are good ones.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
You're more than welcome. As a test tonight, I'm in the ED dept as I took my wife in who got bitten by a bat of all things. Ugh, don't ask.

I was watching YouTube and noted my battery at 67% and watched and kept checking the time it took to drop to 66%. My screen is set at FHD.

Well, it took 10 mins. So you do the math. This blows the iPhone 13 Pro Max out of the water.
And this is continuous YouTube viewing. Browsing on the internet only and the SOT will go even higher.

If you look at my screenshot, the projected battery life is 4 mins short of 24 hrs when I was at only 71%.

Blows the iPhone out of the water? However, the iphone does as good without primarily shutting down the features of the phone. Why purchase a top of the line Android device with all the features just to shut down all the features? I bet you can get the battery to last months...turn the phone off and just turn it on when you want to make a call.

Only thing I have disabled is 5G...I have no 5G where I live...all else is at full throttle and when I turn in I still have well over 40 percent, one night 55%.

I

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The cynical argument could be made to charge your phone up and then turn it off altogether. That'd save a ton of battery or you could not buy the phone at all and that'd save a ton of battery. Obviously, I'm being a knucklehead but I'm doing so to harshly illustrate the aforementioned points. Disabling your phone in varying degrees will yield better battery life. From everything on and at highest settings to the phone being turned off completely.

Some will be willing to sacrifice some capabilities for better battery life, some will not. Yes, the iPhone 13 Pro Max has great battery life but you have to sacrifice an engaging experience to get that so, yes, even the 13 PM has it's sacrifices.

At least with the S22U one gets control of what they're willing to sacrifice to extend the battery which is why my 13 PM remains off and even selling it crossed my mind.

Last edited:

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I had looked at doing this and it appears on my Verizon S22 Ultra, at least, Verizon has disabled the options to choose your connection type or turn off 5G.

Yes, the manufacturers program the firmware to recognize a SIM card from Verizon, ATT and some MVNO that are using Verizon towers (most likely the same for ATT too) and when one of those SIM cards are installed, the firmware takes away the option to run only on something other than 5G.

However, go to play store, and type in "Samsgung Band Selector" and download and install. You can now turn off 5G. That's what I had to do since I am on Tracfone, a MVNO that not only uses Verizon towers, they were purchased by Verizon last year.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
go to play store, and type in "Samsung Band Selector" and download and install. You can now turn off 5G.

Thanks, I installed Samsung Band Selection. Now have a question:

I was expecting maybe a slider to turn off 5G but it seems to work differently. There are two settings screens, one for "Band Selection" which has 40 or 50 choices! and then "Network Mode" which has all the choices shown in the screenshot below. But I have no idea what to do or which to choose so that I keep all I need but just turn off 5G?

Edit: Nevermind! For anyone else on Verizon that tries this app, I just noticed that there is a selection on the installation screen just below "Launch Band Selection" that says "More Network Settings". That is what you want rather than launching the app itself. Then you will see a choice to turn off 5G by choosing Verizon> then scroll down to Preferred network type.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Are you recommending using Power Saving mode full time as your regular running mode 24/7? Or only when you are in need of saving battery?

Not trying to make an argument here but I think most people are aware of the Power Saving mode and know you can stretch out your battery usage by enabling it and works great if you find yourself away from a charger and need to consider conserving to make it through the day or until you can charge but I don't think something for regular running if you want the best performance.

Sure you are going to outlast the iPhone 13 Pro Max. But then you aren't comparing 100% performance vs. 100% performance all features on. Looking at your settings, if you are running it as shown, you're basically running on limp mode... sure you are going to save a ton of battery but disabling AOD and throttling down your CPU by 30%, decrease brightness and turn off 5G and limp in 4G.

But in emergency use, it's a great tip.

I don't agree that the phone is in limp mode by any means. Calling 4G a limp mode is a real stretch. How many people actually use or even need 5G for example? If you're outside wi-fi and have a sudden urge to download all episodes of 'Stranger Things' from Netflix, then you need 5G. 4G is all you need for everything else.

I love AOD but don't use it as it's battery hungry. Turning down the processor a little bit doesn't affect in any way performance for all your common tasks of internet browsing, YouTube, navigation, emails etc with multiple apps open.

I run the phone in the 1st option power mode, as per my screenshot, as my default mode. The only sacrifice I am making is AOD. So many people are making comments about "disabling features". In reality, I'm not just AOD. It's merely a few tweaks and adjustments to optimise the phone for maximum battery life and then you can enjoy all its features for a much longer time per charge.

The only other features sacrifice I could really think of is attempting to play a very heavy graphics intensive game with the processor limited to 70%. I don't play games so it's not an issue for me. It's not hard to turn that off if you ever want to play a game like that. But again, I can attest that the processor is perfectly capable of performing all tasks at 70% with multiple apps open. With these settings the phone is definately not in limp mode nor disabled nor feature lacking but AOD only.

Last edited:

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I installed Samsung Band Selection. Now have a question:

I was expecting maybe a slider to turn off 5G but it seems to work differently. There are two settings screens, one for "Band Selection" which has 40 or 50 choices! and then "Network Mode" which has all the choices shown in the screenshot below. But I have no idea what to do or which to choose so that I keep all I need but just turn off 5G?

Edit: Nevermind! For anyone else on Verizon that tries this app, I just noticed that there is a selection on the installation screen just below "Launch Band Selection" that says "More Network Settings". That is what you want rather than launching the app itself. Then you will see a choice to turn off 5G by choosing Verizon> then scroll down to Preferred network type.

That works. I set mine up under Launch Band Selection and you can pick either LTE All or WCDMA/LTE. both work. Glad it helped.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I've looked at Samsung Band Selection to see if choosing options improved anything signal wise, and on the whole it didn't as far as I could tell.

I'm in the UK and in the Connections Settings I opt to choose Lte, 2G, 3G as 5G isn't yet available on my particular tariff and being honest for my usage needs faster large file downloads on 5G isn't a deal breaker.

I've not had to use the Power saving options on my Samsung Galaxy s²²Ultra to date as it easily lasts me a day from my usage habits.

I do carry around a powerbank from when I used my Fold³.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure it is designed to increase any of the band signals, but for us running Verizon or MVNO Verizon SIMS (maybe ATT too), it allow us to turn off 5G. If 5G is weak in our area, or in my case, 5G is non-existent, it turns off the ability of the phone to continue to search for 5G and connect. That searching (attempting to connect to 5G) uses a lot of battery juice.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure it is designed to increase any of the band signals, but for us running Verizon or MVNO Verizon SIMS (maybe ATT too), it allow us to turn off 5G. If 5G is weak in our area, or in my case, 5G is non-existent, it turns off the ability of the phone to continue to search for 5G and connect. That searching (attempting to connect to 5G) uses a lot of battery juice.

Yes, this is why I did it even though I am not having any battery issues. Because we have really no usable 5G in our area, I figured why not turn it off. I am not sure with the way I use my phone that I would notice anything anyway on 5G vs. LTE. In the future, with better 5G coverage or travelling to an urban area with blanket 5G coverage, I can always turn it back on.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this is why I did it even though I am not having any battery issues. Because we have really no usable 5G in our area, I figured why not turn it off. I am not sure with the way I use my phone that I would notice anything anyway on 5G vs. LTE. In the future, with better 5G coverage or travelling to an urban area with blanket 5G coverage, I can always turn it back on.

5G is known to be power hungry. The general advice is if you don't have good 5G coverage in your area or you don't really need it, turn it off. As I said before, for the vast majority of people, 4G is more than enough. 5G is only really useful for downloading very large files and media.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie