Better email client needed

newmikro

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Having moved from Blackberry I find the default email client on the Galaxy S4 to be rubbish. The default app does not recognise when it has downloaded an email previously. Therefore, when I check my emails on the S4 and delete those I do not need, they get downloaded again by the S4 and I am constantly trying to control my in-box on the S4 and avoid these continual repeated downloads of the same email over and over again.

I know that some have said that I should set the S4 to delete the email from the server as well as the phone to avoid this problem, but this is not what I want to do. Being a small business, permanent deletion of emails is controlled from one of the desk top PC's in my office and not by each individual staff members phones.

I am looking for an app that will download my emails as they arrive at the server, I can then read those and reply to them, keep them or delete them as needed but if I do delete any I do not expect those ones to be downloaded to my phone again. My emails are stored on an outlook.office365 server and the S4 is set up to connect to this using pop3 server value pop.outlook.com. I tried using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync on the S4, but this just returns error messages even though all of the values entered are correct.

Anyone know of an email client for the S4 that will overcome the problem above regarding deleted emails being downloaded again as my email trash folder now has over 5000 deleted emails in it, many of which are just duplicates. When I clear the trash folder I get all of my emails from the last four weeks coming down again.

There must be a better solution than the default email client on the S4, but as yet I have not found it. Any help would be appreciated.

IanT

MikeYuse0406

Nov 23, 2013
plus.google.com
Have you tried K-9 Mail from the play store? It has being the best email client I've used so far.

I've deleted emails using k9 and they never redownloaded despite being stored in the server. Might be worth checking it out.

Sent from my Jedi X20'd Note 2 via TapaTalk Pro

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
You might check with your IT guy to double check the values are what they are supposed to be. I know that in front of my domain/username my OWA account requires a \. Also, my IT guy had to change a setting on the server when I switch from Crackberry to Android.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Having moved from Blackberry I find the default email client on the Galaxy S4 to be rubbish. The default app does not recognise when it has downloaded an email previously. Therefore, when I check my emails on the S4 and delete those I do not need, they get downloaded again by the S4 and I am constantly trying to control my in-box on the S4 and avoid these continual repeated downloads of the same email over and over again.
It's not the app that's rubbish, but the way you're trying to use it.

My emails are stored on an outlook.office365 server and the S4 is set up to connect to this using pop3 ...
This is typical of POP3. POP3 is a protocol not well-suited for multiple email clients using the same email account. It was designed for one email client application per email account.

I have used, or configured for others to use: The default Android email app, K9 mail, iOS' default email app, Thunderbird, MS Outlook, web mail (via Squirrel Mail) and Claws Mail for, literally, dozens of email accounts, against my server at home, the server at work (which I administer), gmail and other email account (servers). What they all had in common was this: They are all using IMAP, not POP3.

Works like a charm and zero complaints. I, myself, both for test and for daily use purposes, have all those client apps, save the iOS one, configured for the same email accounts. I see the same email: Inbox, sent, trash, drafts and a plethora of other folders and sub-folders, with each of those clients. I see an email on one: I see it on all. I delete it on one: It's deleted for all. I move it to another folder on one: It's moved on all. I don't have to worry about a device crashing and burning losing all my email, because it's on servers backed-up daily. I move to or add a new device: I configure the email client and *bang*: There's all my email. Just like magic :)

As for Office365: Cannot help you with that. (No offence intended: But I wouldn't touch that for all the tea in China.) Does it do IMAP? If so: Try that. If not: Well, either see if you can find a client app that supports Microsoft's Proprietary Protocol Of The Day or live with the POP3 problems, I suppose.

Good luck. HTH.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomeoCatcher