BGR's Take On Android

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
wow.. anyone else catch this? BGR's n1 comments!

HAAAAAAARSH!!!
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/01/09/google-android-personal-thoughts/

Last edited:

addictedtoblackberry

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I haven't read all of the review, but I can still tell that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Point and Case:
"Part of my main issue with Android, and this applies slightly less to HTC Sense UI handsets, is that there’s practically no human emotion with Google when it comes to technology. Everything is statistical and analytical. While you could argue that being this way is way superior to “feeling” and “emotion”– it might be 95% of the time — you still will almost always lose that charm and that amazing feeling of connecting to something. People would die for their iPhones, people would die for their BlackBerrys – and they feel like their lives are in there. People feel connected to their BlackBerrys."

BGR is criticizing the android platform for being too statistical and analytical, but that is EXACTLY what the blackberry is. It is straight up cut dry business. The UI on the blackberry is impersonal and plain despite the vast amount of personalization you can do. Yet people still do connect with their blackberry despite these "shortcomings" that both the android and blackberry os suffers from supposedly. BGR obviously does not know what he/she is talking about when it comes to blackberries and android phones.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone read this? This dude pisses me off sometimes. He tries so hard to defend himself and say he's not a iphone fanboy, but dude, when you compare everything to your God phone and give no one else any credit, you're a fanboy. He said there's no Tweetie2 type app in Android Market. Hello?, Twidroid?! I have an ipod touch with tweetie and let me tell you, Twidroid blows it out the water. In fact, I get tweets faster on Twidroid than I do for Tweetie. The iphone is great, don't get me wrong. Is it better than the Droid, no. Is the Droid better, no. They're equal. They both have their positives. You can't say one completely dominates the other...that is unless you're BGR.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Everybody's opinion is everybody's opinion. I think Android is fine. I would have been fine with an iPhone, if AT&T would work for a family plan for us (it really would not - Verizon is best for us.) I looked at both the Droid and the Eris, and chose the Eris - I did not like the Droid's keyboard, as it reminded me of the my old Psion Revo, which I hated, and I preferred the smaller Eris to the fatter, heavier Droid. That was my choice; I can see why others may prefer the Droid to the Eris.

So, BGR is entitled to his opinion; it's completely valid, because it is his opinion only.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Everybody's opinion is everybody's opinion. I think Android is fine. I would have been fine with an iPhone, if AT&T would work for a family plan for us (it really would not - Verizon is best for us.) I looked at both the Droid and the Eris, and chose the Eris - I did not like the Droid's keyboard, as it reminded me of the my old Psion Revo, which I hated, and I preferred the smaller Eris to the fatter, heavier Droid. That was my choice; I can see why others may prefer the Droid to the Eris.

So, BGR is entitled to his opinion; it's completely valid, because it is his opinion only.

I agree. It's not something to get upset over. I've never been a fan of BGR but his opinion is his opinion, nothing more nothing less.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I sympathize greatly with this article with reference to the apps. Android apps are crap. Seriously, get real, don't try to argue it...they're crap. They're made crap by the apps that are out for the Pre and iPhone. They're even made crap by the apps for Blackberry.

Show me an app for Android that works as well as BeejiveIM, or an RSS app that works as good as Viigo (FeedR comes close but no cigar). I had Tweetdeck on my iPhone and it makes Twidroid Pro look stupid. Like a big hunk of flaming crap on a doorstep.

I agree that he may not be grok'ing smartphone UI's and he may just be too stuck on iPhone. I like my Android notifications, I'll go out on a limb and say I like em better than the Pre notification system. I will tell you though that a big part of his argument is vindicated by Android's lack of multitouch. When I'm messing with maps and lately in some webpages, I miss multitouch and I think Andy Rubin is a friggin idiot for omitting it. Multitouch would fix a plethora of issues that BGR has with Android.

[edit]

Another thought too is why our apps look like complete total ass is that the iPhone SDK's interface builder helps someone make something pleasing to the eye. You can have your interface concept fleshed out before making the code work on your app. Android has no interface builder, or anything like it. You just hand edit xml files until everything starts to work.

Last edited:

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
Until someone ports the Android SDK over to QT Designer and makes a load of gui elements specifically for the Android that work in QT Designer, I am afraid that one is gonna be stuck with very basic looking applications.

So if anyone knows how to do this, please go ahead and do it.

Phil.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I understand its his opinion but this guy runs one of the biggest electronic news sites on the net in which people base their buying judgements off his biased opinions. You can blame the consumer for not trying it out themselves but not everyone has/takes the time to do it. So they look to someone who has, and as popular as BGR is, you can't help but take his word for it. I'm just saying, he should just be a little more responsible for his reviews. His "opinion" goes a long way.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion his opinion sucks.:cool:

Agreed. But he also talks out of both sides of his mouth. Not long ago he was praising the Droid and Android in general. IMO, a lot of it is about getting people to view the website. So they'll (as in many tech review sites) often say whatever it takes to get people all riled up. Ultimately though, he's just an Apple fanboy with a pre-conceived notion about anything that's not made by Apple. Just reading his little blurb it's quite obvious he's hasn't really used or have become acquainted enough with Android. Or if he has, he's just full of crap.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone read this? This dude pisses me off sometimes. He tries so hard to defend himself and say he's not a iphone fanboy, but dude, when you compare everything to your God phone and give no one else any credit, you're a fanboy. He said there's no Tweetie2 type app in Android Market. Hello?, Twidroid?! I have an ipod touch with tweetie and let me tell you, Twidroid blows it out the water. In fact, I get tweets faster on Twidroid than I do for Tweetie. The iphone is great, don't get me wrong. Is it better than the Droid, no. Is the Droid better, no. They're equal. They both have their positives. You can't say one completely dominates the other...that is unless you're BGR.

Twidroid stinks compared to Tweetie 2 and the best twitter app on the iPhone - Twitbit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rambo4id