Biggest mobile disappointment...

Rydsmith

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had an S6e since launch. The phone is very attractive and feels great in the hand, don't get me wrong but on the software side, I'm completely disappointed with the phone and will be grabbing a Moto X Style day one.

1.) Battery. This goes without saying at this point. The battery is just awful, one of the worst in any mobile device I have ever had. For instance, I am using the S6e on AT&T with the latest firmware/software and I feel as though I'm tethered to an outlet. Taking me phone off the charger at night and waking up to see it is 30% is unacceptable. Cache clear and system restore and the results are the still the same. In comparison, if I leave my iPhone (currently doing the T-Mobile 7 day challenge) off the charger, nothing is used.

2.) The throttling. This just kills me. It's like using an iPhone with the way background applications are killed. The worst is when I'm using music and maps and the phone decides to close maps even though it is actively giving directions. Or when the phone has maybe two apps running and locks up to the point I have to repeat press the home button until I'm greeted with a black home screen, waiting for the apps, wallpaper, and app drawer to all reload. I understand you like to look at the iPhone for inspiration Samsung, but not like this...

Maybe I expected too much, but it seems that when I need to the phone it is locked up and causes me nothing but headaches.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Blackburn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
That description is completely Alien to me with regards to the S6 E
I don't doubt your experience but I find the complete opposite. The battery is as reasonable as most phones this size. ... performance is very pleasing. Either you have a unit with issues or mine is a complete anomaly. S6 in MY experience is the best Android unit I have used.... and trust me there's been plenty Note 4 HTC M8 M7 Note 2 S3 S2 Galaxy S Galaxy Nexus Nexus 5.. also iPhone 3g 3GS 4 4s 5 5s HTC Desire Desire HD to name but a few. And so far in my opinion S6 Edge is the best of the bunch. And so it should be as it's the newest . Just my Humble opinion

via the Android Central App With S6 Edge

Shadowpdx

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I have read about others having problems with the Edge.......I also have to say that I have not experienced any of these issues. Love the battery...have not had any of the heating problems......love the fast charge...I only put my phone on the charger in the morning while doing tea...no more overnight charging. I have not had the phone close any apps. Sat in the yard last week and play music.........with no problems.

jd03ctd

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
My experience is exactly the same.... Were on vacation at Disney and this thing eats battery and heats up like crazy... Wife has the iphone 6 and it is rock solid and cool as cucumber.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Yea the background app closing is pretty annoying. I haven't had it close down my maps yet but spotify does get force closed every once in a while. One time I had to write down some number from an app into Google chrome and everytime I switched between the apps it would reload my chrome... I just wanted to pull out my hair

Posted via my shiny galaxy s6

Andrew Blackburn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
3 and 4 hours Screen on time respectively

via the Android Central App With S6 Edge

Attachments

• 2438.jpg
    2438.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 2397.jpg
    2397.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 232

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I owned 3x separate S6 Edges, and only the first one was good (I regret I returned it for a higher GB model).

1) No problems with display, ran fairly cool. Can idle for 10 hours with about 5% battery loss (overnight). Battery life comparable to my iPhone 6, about 4 hours of screen on time and 18 hour standby. Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi always on. Advanced Calling On. Location high accuracy. All Sync is on. Rest of phone debloated.

2) AMOLED display defect, immediately exchanged.

3) Phone runs hot doing nothing except Chrome/Flipboard etc. Battery lasts about 2-3 hours screen on time. Idle was still OK.

I returned the phone, no confidence in Samsung support or QC. Looks to me like their Exynos SoC has good and bad batches, while some of the Exynos run very hot and some run very cool. Just a cluster**** of returns and exchanges.

Back to Apple.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
No issues for me, well maybe battery size. But i have never ran out of juice while away from the house. If throttling is an issue, why not just change it in the developer options???

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand. If your phone loses 70% overnight and can't keep more than one app running at a time why didn't you return it as it is clearly defective.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The second issue isn't called "throttling". Throttling is when a CPU or GPU has to drastically underclock itself in order to save itself from high temperatures.

What you were experiencing is Samsung's overly-aggressive RAM management, which is pretty horrid.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same problems and frankly I'm not sure I can even deal with it anymore. I cannot make a full day without charging the phone up and the app management is awful.

lvplguy

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Same problems here. I've had my t-mobile S6 for 1 week, this is my 2nd one!! I thought I had a lemon the first time so I exchanged it for another. Coming from an S5 the battery life on this S6 has been terrible, everything else on the phone I love, but the anxiety I feel as I watch my battery drop over 10% per hour in standby is ridiculous, if I use the phone it drops 15%+ per hour. I've done a factory reset 3 times. This last time I didn't even install any apps or turn on wifi, I went through and disabled all the bloatware, voLTE, and all the other suggestions everyone claims can fix the issue. Even with no apps, no location, no sync, no wifi, no google account, it still drains 10% per hour in standby.

Not sure what else I should do, if I can't figure it out I guess I'll go back to my S5 which would last me easily from 8 am to 10pm. I'm not a heavy user at all, 1-2 hour SOT is probably all I need plus 10-12 hours standby. Never been an issue with any of my Android phones dating back to the G1.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Same problems here. I've had my t-mobile S6 for 1 week, this is my 2nd one!! I thought I had a lemon the first time so I exchanged it for another. Coming from an S5 the battery life on this S6 has been terrible, everything else on the phone I love, but the anxiety I feel as I watch my battery drop over 10% per hour in standby is ridiculous, if I use the phone it drops 15%+ per hour. I've done a factory reset 3 times. This last time I didn't even install any apps or turn on wifi, I went through and disabled all the bloatware, voLTE, and all the other suggestions everyone claims can fix the issue. Even with no apps, no location, no sync, no wifi, no google account, it still drains 10% per hour in standby.

Not sure what else I should do, if I can't figure it out I guess I'll go back to my S5 which would last me easily from 8 am to 10pm. I'm not a heavy user at all, 1-2 hour SOT is probably all I need plus 10-12 hours standby. Never been an issue with any of my Android phones dating back to the G1.

I replied to you in my a battery thread but now that I see here that you mentioned that you have Location off I'd tell you to return it also, that's not normal.

Have you checked your battery stats or installing GSAM battery monitor to see if you can pinpoint the culprit? Also in the other thread I told you about the Auto stop feature that is finally working with 5.1.1, it's specifically for Standby, so give it a try of you want to try that before returning it.

Rydsmith

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The second issue isn't called "throttling". Throttling is when a CPU or GPU has to drastically underclock itself in order to save itself from high temperatures.

What you were experiencing is Samsung's overly-aggressive RAM management, which is pretty horrid.

You're right, I misphrased it, either way it's unacceptable. I've been using a Nexus 6, which is nowhere as strong as the S6, but day to day use is much better than on the S6e and far smoother. Outside of games (the 805 shouldn't not be used for a Quad HD display) the experience is just much better and makes me want to keep the Nexus 6 as my daily driver until the Moto X comes out.

1dtb

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I also have been completely underwhelmed AND OVERWHELMED by the performance of this phone. I travelled with this phone via airplanes and by the time I was at my first landing I was searching for an outlet. They have lots of power outlets at airports now so we are not the only ones who are running low.

I do love HD voice quality and the camera is so cool for me.

Maybe someone important reads these forums and realizes there time is short.

cpfms

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
The new iPhone can't come out fast enough for me to trade this thing off. I came from a iPhone 6 because of the camera and specs on the S6E and have hated it after the first few weeks. The performance was horrible. Always laggy and slow and apps had to reopen almost every time you use them. Camera is slow to open and can't take a clear pic of my kids playing for anything. The battery life is atrocious unless you want to cripple the phone by disabling every feature on it. The thing about the iPhone has always been, it just works. You don't have to disable everything to get decent battery life out if it and they can also do more with 1GB RAM than the S6 can do with 3GB! My last Android phone was the Droid 2 and I have been reminded why I stayed away from them for so long by the S6.
I will say the performance seems to be better after the Verizon 5.1.1 update today but it is too late. This thing will be gone in about a month.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I owned 3x separate S6 Edges, and only the first one was good (I regret I returned it for a higher GB model).

1) No problems with display, ran fairly cool. Can idle for 10 hours with about 5% battery loss (overnight). Battery life comparable to my iPhone 6, about 4 hours of screen on time and 18 hour standby. Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi always on. Advanced Calling On. Location high accuracy. All Sync is on. Rest of phone debloated.

2) AMOLED display defect, immediately exchanged.

3) Phone runs hot doing nothing except Chrome/Flipboard etc. Battery lasts about 2-3 hours screen on time. Idle was still OK.

I returned the phone, no confidence in Samsung support or QC. Looks to me like their Exynos SoC has good and bad batches, while some of the Exynos run very hot and some run very cool. Just a cluster**** of returns and exchanges.

Back to Apple.

I find it funny how people like you say "back to Apple." I would just find a different Android device myself. Samsung and Apple aren't the only ponies in town, and the iPhone 6 has its own issues-- the implication is that it's perfect when it's far from that.

I hate the memory management on this phone. I so wish htc had released a better device. Their phones are just so much better and have a more refined feel to them.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The new iPhone can't come out fast enough for me to trade this thing off. I came from a iPhone 6 because of the camera and specs on the S6E and have hated it after the first few weeks. The performance was horrible. Always laggy and slow and apps had to reopen almost every time you use them. Camera is slow to open and can't take a clear pic of my kids playing for anything. The battery life is atrocious unless you want to cripple the phone by disabling every feature on it. The thing about the iPhone has always been, it just works. You don't have to disable everything to get decent battery life out if it and they can also do more with 1GB RAM than the S6 can do with 3GB! My last Android phone was the Droid 2 and I have been reminded why I stayed away from them for so long by the S6.
I will say the performance seems to be better after the Verizon 5.1.1 update today but it is too late. This thing will be gone in about a month.

Sounds like a few downright lies thrown in for good measure. The camera is slow and poor? There is no better camera out there. That's just a fact

cpfms

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a few downright lies thrown in for good measure. The camera is slow and poor? There is no better camera out there. That's just a fact

I agree it was sold as the best camera out there but it isn't. Stationary targets are fine but there is too much blur with kids running around that I didn't get with my iPhone 6 and my wife doesn't get with hers now. It is also supposed to be ready to shoot in 1 second and it hasn't done that since day 1. More like 4 to 5 seconds.