Birthdate on Apps requires scrolling through YEARS of calendars

azjoan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I've had many android phones over the years, so last year when I switched to the Samsung S7 Edge I didn't expect any real issues with a learning curve. I've had several new apps, since this edition of the phone, and if you have to put in a birthdate, it doesn't allow you to pick a year and then separate month and date, it starts with a current calendar and you have to scroll backward through YEARS UPON YEARS of calendars. I'm 57 years old, I have to scroll through calendars all the way back to 1959, meaning I have to slide the calendar 684 times to get to my birthday. I've never had this issue with any other android phone. Anyone have ANY IDEAS on how to change this so that I don't have to wear out my finger scrolling backward for years?

azjoan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the option of scrolling through the years, I truly get a calendar and have to flick back 57 years times 12. It wears out the finger, and when I was doing this the other day I had made a mistake somewhere in the form and it made me start over, so not only did I flick 684 times, I had to do it TWICE!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok. That's weird. What software version are you on?
Wait you said apps. I think that would depend on the app and not the phone.

lex63075

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm finding this on a bunch of new apps and web pages on my s7 edge as well and it's infuriating! I'm over 40 why in God's name did they remove the option of toggling the year? The developers doing it should be flogged. I've deleted several apps for having it this way. If you kind people have a work around I'd be eternally grateful.

I attached a screen shot of the offending dialog box. You can see no way to toggle the year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180119-113713.jpg
    Screenshot_20180119-113713.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 14

justin9999

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
I'm finding this on a bunch of new apps and web pages on my s7 edge as well and it's infuriating! I'm over 40 why in God's name did they remove the option of toggling the year? The developers doing it should be flogged. I've deleted several apps for having it this way. If you kind people have a work around I'd be eternally grateful.

I attached a screen shot of the offending dialog box. You can see no way to toggle the year.

Bump?

anthony2393089

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

I just figured out that if you click on the year it pulls up the years and you can scroll through the years quickly by flicking your finger quickly. Hope this helps.

Wait, yours looks different then mine. I'm not sure what to do. Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Trisha Gay

Feb 1, 2019
Visit site

OMG this is probably way late but I had same probly I've done it several times but I finally figured it out...GO UP TO THE YEAR IN THE CALENDAR AND CLICK IT LOL yeah that easy I tried clicking the date but never I guess JUST THE YEAR...I'm so happy I finally figured it out I feel pretty dumb but anyway hope you read this and it helps

Last edited by a moderator:

lex63075

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Some can, some cannot. Specifically, I was complaining about the app IBOTTA here. There is no way to toggle it on the phone. You can on a computer, which I ultimately used. Some, you can click on the year, some don't even display the year, others don't toggle no matter what you do the year.

BOO DAVALOS

Feb 1, 2023
Visit site
I've had many android phones over the years, so last year when I switched to the Samsung S7 Edge I didn't expect any real issues with a learning curve. I've had several new apps, since this edition of the phone, and if you have to put in a birthdate, it doesn't allow you to pick a year and then separate month and date, it starts with a current calendar and you have to scroll backward through YEARS UPON YEARS of calendars. I'm 57 years old, I have to scroll through calendars all the way back to 1959, meaning I have to slide the calendar 684 times to get to my birthday. I've never had this issue with any other android phone. Anyone have ANY IDEAS on how to change this so that I don't have to wear out my finger scrolling backward for years?

Just put your finger on the year and long press. The year will highlight and just scroll through the years until you reach yours.
Then stand up and do a celebration dance ... I did😁