Bit the bullet: NEX4100 being installed this week.

mortalmallard

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
The thing with App2radio is that it only mirrors your phones screen. If you want to change what you see on your screen you still have to pick up your phone and manipulate it from there. With the NEX Pioneers units you can manipulate what you see on your screen with touching the phone either by tapping the screen a few times or using voice commands.

mortalmallard

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Nick: mirror link is garbage imho. You are much better off using android auto. Besides there aren't really that many apps that are compatible with mirrorlink. I've heard lots of stories about how terrible mirrorlink is and they don't really seem to keep up well with the ever changing world of android.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Can I ask if anyone who had this installed needed this cable:

Amazon.com: Pioneer CD-AH200 AppRadio Mode Android Connectivity Kit: Car Electronics

I went to Best Buy today and they would not install my unit, which I had all the other parts, because they said it wouldn't work without the above cable (which they didn't have in stock). I thought Android Auto connected via usb to micro usb, the above looks like App-Radio, please let me know if anyone had a similar experience so I can decide if I should take my car elsewhere for the install.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Amazon.com: Pioneer CD-AH200 AppRadio Mode Android Connectivity Kit: Car Electronics

I went to Best Buy today and they would not install my unit, which I had all the other parts, because they said it wouldn't work without the above cable (which they didn't have in stock). I thought Android Auto connected via usb to micro usb, the above looks like App-Radio, please let me know if anyone had a similar experience so I can decide if I should take my car elsewhere for the install.

You don't need that unless you plan to use MirrorLink. Android Auto doesn't use that.

The unit should have come with a USB extender cable (has a female USB-A connection on one end and a male USB-A connection on the other. The installer should have plugged that into USB Port 2 on the back of your unit and run it out to where you can get to it. You would then be able to plug your own regular USB to Micro USB cable into it and be good to go.

Best Buy is full of it. Ask to speak to someone else.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
You don't need that unless you plan to use MirrorLink. Android Auto doesn't use that.

The unit should have come with a USB extender cable (has a female USB-A connection on one end and a male USB-A connection on the other. The installer should have plugged that into USB Port 2 on the back of your unit and run it out to where you can get to it. You would then be able to plug your own regular USB to Micro USB cable into it and be good to go.

Best Buy is full of it. Ask to speak to someone else.

Thanks, that is what I suspected. I don't trust this guy now since he doesn't know what he is doing. I made an appointment with the other Best Buy near me to do it on Friday. I hope they realize what is going on here. In fact, according to Pioneer's own manual, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/AVH-4100NEX_OwnersManual021915.pdf, MirrorLink also works via USB only, the only thing I see that you gain from that cable above is App-radio, which I don't care about at all.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that is what I suspected. I don't trust this guy now since he doesn't know what he is doing. I made an appointment with the other Best Buy near me to do it on Friday. I hope they realize what is going on here. In fact, according to Pioneer's own manual, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/AVH-4100NEX_OwnersManual021915.pdf, MirrorLink also works via USB only, the only thing I see that you gain from that cable above is App-radio, which I don't care about at all.

Sorry, I meant to say AppRadio. But yeah, you don't need that cable. You can always add it later if you decide to use AppRadio, but from what I've read, AppRadio sucks donkey balls, so I wouldn't bother.

Nick Alonzo

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site

I purchased the cable and it's just a standard microUSB with a extension cable ... With my S5 I had the same exact results with that vs my cable from other phones.

Mike4G

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I understand that these head units require a double din spot in the dash. But what if the OEM nav screen is double din, and there's a slew if physical buttons to control said nav system. Would these pioneer units be able to work with OEM steering wheel controls and those existing physical buttons? It's a 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS if your wondering.

Posted via the Android Central App

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I understand that these head units require a double din spot in the dash. But what if the OEM nav screen is double din, and there's a slew if physical buttons to control said nav system. Would these pioneer units be able to work with OEM steering wheel controls and those existing physical buttons? It's a 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS if your wondering.

To retain steering wheel controls, you would need an OEM interface module. It's basically a little box that interfaces between the T-Harness of the head unit and the OEM wire harness. Without getting into too much detail, it gets programmed for your make/model of vehicle and the head unit and lets the head unit know what you've got for controls on your steering wheel.

I have one for my setup and I have full steering wheel controls.

I'm not sure what you mean by slew of physical buttons to control the nav system. You'll be replacing whatever system you have with a new system that has a touch screen, so there won't be anywhere near as many physical buttons on the head unit. And no physical buttons or joysticks, etc. are needed to control Google Maps or the rest of Android Auto. Android Auto is all voice and touchscreen controlled. (I believe there is a mode of operation available for cars that have directional controls on the steering wheel. I saw it demonstrated at either CES or one of the car shows.)

If your Chevy Cruze can accommodate a standard Double-DIN radio, you'll still need a dash mount kit that's designed for the Chevy Cruze, so that the installation will look seamless and not jackleg. Depending on where you buy, that may be included for free.

Mike4G

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
So I just got a new used 2011 chevy cruze RS LTZ with nav and Bluetooth. All the bells and whistles. Well, my note 3 syncs well for calls and all, but the OEM interface and voice actions pretty much blow compared to Google Now. AND the Bluetooth connection doesnt work for streaming audio, just calls. BUT, it does have an aux in, so here's my setup. I got an $8 Qi charging pad that's the same dimensions as my phone , and placed it in the holder and added a Bluetooth transmitter in the aux jack, which is hidden nicely in the center compartment. Now, with my phone visible and charging in the cradle, I say ok Google and the car microphone transmits the action to my phone, and all audio plays through the car speakers! It's pretty much android auto without the $700 price tag! And it's convenient to just drop the phone in the cradle and go. No wires!

Montro25

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Try just doing microUSB to USB2... I have the s5 and can get the navigation to work, but not voice control
That was my original option but since that didn't work then I decide to go with the HDMI also to see If I get something working but nothing... as far as the phone compatibility list my phone is not listed yet

Montro25

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I figured it out. For some inexplicable reason, you have to have USB debugging turned on in order for the Android Auto app to do the proper setup and launch on the head unit.

Bro i just got the Galaxy S6 because my previous phone didnt have Android 5.0. I have the NEX4100 and i have the AH-200 Cables. Got the HDMI & USB2 plugged to the MLH addapter (to micro USB) for my phone so i can use any option (Android Auto/Mirrorlink /AppRadio but none of them work... i tried enabling USB Debugging like u said and nothing... any other advice?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Bro i just got the Galaxy S6 because my previous phone didnt have Android 5.0. I have the NEX4100 and i have the AH-200 Cables. Got the HDMI & USB2 plugged to the MLH addapter (to micro USB) for my phone so i can use any option (Android Auto/Mirrorlink /AppRadio but none of them work... i tried enabling USB Debugging like u said and nothing... any other advice?

Not sure what to tell you. It's Samsung and all the changes they make to Android under the hood (the modes the phone goes into when USB is connected, how voice commands are handled, etc.). They break stuff when they don't follow Google's design standards and APIs. One of two things will have to happen: 1. Samsung will fix whatever they did in TouchWiz that broke compatibility (not likely), or 2. Google will attempt to update the Android Auto app to work around Samsung not following the standard they provided (more likely, but not guaranteed).

I doubt Pioneer needs to do anything (if they followed Google's instructions for how to interface with Android Auto).

As Phil likes to say, "there's a lot of moving parts". While that's true, it's also true that Google and Apple provided standards to the automobile and phone OEMs for how the radio head units are supposed to communicate with the phones (and vice-versa). Evidently, someone didn't follow instructions close enough.

Montro25

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what to tell you. It's Samsung and all the changes they make to Android under the hood (the modes the phone goes into when USB is connected, how voice commands are handled, etc.). They break stuff when they don't follow Google's design standards and APIs. One of two things will have to happen: 1. Samsung will fix whatever they did in TouchWiz that broke compatibility (not likely), or 2. Google will attempt to update the Android Auto app to work around Samsung not following the standard they provided (more likely, but not guaranteed).

I doubt Pioneer needs to do anything (if they followed Google's instructions for how to interface with Android Auto).

As Phil likes to say, "there's a lot of moving parts". While that's true, it's also true that Google and Apple provided standards to the automobile and phone OEMs for how the radio head units are supposed to communicate with the phones (and vice-versa). Evidently, someone didn't follow instructions close enough.

Yeah man this sucks a lot of us waited for this damn radios and spent mad money and the only thing I can do is stream music using Bluetooth so far... smh... I bought a new phone and the damn new radio!