Bloody hell... Scratched my S8 Plus screen

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Once again, I'm going to explain that Corning designed Gorilla Glass 5 to be more shatter resistant and you can't have increased shatter resistance without making the glass softer and as such more scratch prone. Those of us that had the note 7 learned this.

Very true. My first Note7 literally scratched within 2-3 hours of owning it and I seriously baby my devices. I did not even have time to apply a screen protector before I ended up with one of these "invisible hairline" scratches. It all worked out at the end because that device also happened to have a defective speaker so it was exchanged. The recall happened and the rest is history.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, lots of things!

What a daft comment!

My iPad Pro is naked, with no screen protector and has zero scratches and I'm on it more or less all evening, every evening!

It shocks me because they sell these phones with lots of gusto about how strong their screens are etc... Yet mines scratched, without knowing how, when it's treated very carefully indeed!

It's sods law, I accept that... But for it's price, I expected much, much better!

I've yet to see an ad or message by Samsung about how strong the S8 glass is.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
It's a sod, but what do you do?

I've OCD issues haha; I cannot cope with a screen protector fitted and then starts to lift on the edges etc; it'd do my nut!

I've had tempered glass protectors on all previous phones and always bought the twin packs as I know it's a sod when you get a spec under the glass and then that's all you can focus on etc...!

But; this S8 Plus is a game changer for me; so rather than a protector, it's in a very well designed, very well made OtterBox Strada case and I'd highly recommend one:

case1.jpg
case2.jpg

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I dunno I think that liquid glass is the biggest bunch of snake oil out there. It want's you to believe they can add some super thin coating of film that gorilla glass doesn't know about that makes it super tough to scratching and increase its scratch resist point from 6 to 9. Yea..right.
You may be right. I've never used it before and I'm not saying that it is the most wonderful product out there; however you have to use something to see if it works for you. So far I've had no issues with it.

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
I use the samsung Clear View Standing Cover, but made a misstake with it. I got the silver version, and the front is like a mirror. Not so nice when you're outside and get that sun reflection making you temp blind lol.

For my iPhone I also have a standing cover, which serves me for 2 years already. No scratches yet on that one, and I work in construction with it. Just have to look out for dirt on the inside of the cover which could scratch the screen.

Da_Katz_Pajamas

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Once again, I'm going to explain that Corning designed Gorilla Glass 5 to be more shatter resistant and you can't have increased shatter resistance without making the glass softer and as such more scratch prone. Those of us that had the note 7 learned this.
I actually just cracked the corner of the glass from a 1-2 inch fall. Didn't hit the frame at all. So I guess it's scratch and crack prone. Watch for drops on the edge screen even though mine hit the flat part right before the edges slope.

Edit: Also you can get the oem plastic screen covers from Mobile Fun if you're in the U.S. I got one last year for the Note 7 but the sides would still peel off in my otterbox symmetry case.

Johnathin Doebermin

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
First time poster... Wow so my less than month old S8+ has 2 separate "mm" length scratches... I've never dropped it lay it down face up.... but the thing is I had my Galaxy Nexus for over 5 years and I treat it like crap and it has 0 scratches. LG G3 3 years of use = 0 scratches. LG Aristo 3 months of the same use = 0 scratches. This is a shame. I just went to the T-Mobile store and they referred me to the 611/Samsung customer service #...

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just wait a few weeks or months and see how many folks are upset that they TOO now have a scratch, and those of us with a scratch or two have a half dozen more racked up. I'm really not happy about this. I have two scratches on mine, and I'm very careful. Can't remember the last time I had a scratched screen. Maybe my Palm Treo over a decade ago?

Keith929

May 10, 2017
Visit site
Is it officially confirmed anywhere that GG5 is actually easier to scratch than GG4?

Although my phone is not as bad as some on this thread, there is some very slight scratches that can only be seen with screen off in glare after 2 weeks but my S7 edge had absolutely zero after 1 year. I keep phone in my back pocket and I'm worried now.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just because idiots post reviews because they cannot install a screen protector properly does not mean the screen protector is bad. It's not a "huge issue." Take time, apply it right and it's perfect. Took about 10 minutes total, which I understand in this ADD era is viewed as too much time to do anything, but it works. Not a bubble, not a corner lifting, not a scratch on my screen.
Agreed - I've had that one on my last S8+ and it really was excellent. Doesnt smudge and has extremely strong adhesive. Works great with the Gear VR and any case I tried. Installation for this one really does require you to read the manual, though, otherwise it'll luck fugly.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Had a close call at a baseball game. Couple lovely *sarcasm* seat hoppers knocked my phone out of my hand when the rest of our party showed up. Landed on the bottom corner, thankfully the screen isn't cracked but now I'm contemplating coloring in the scuff on the frame with a Sharpie lol. Can add that to my list of 1st world problems along with the two hairline scratches I have on the screen already

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Oh... Ok. Why would it not be available in the states? Biggest market on Earth and they doing want to sell to us? That's just weird lol. Thx for the info.
It's not the biggest market in the world, that would be China. And the EU has 450 million inhabitants.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it officially confirmed anywhere that GG5 is actually easier to scratch than GG4?

Although my phone is not as bad as some on this thread, there is some very slight scratches that can only be seen with screen off in glare after 2 weeks but my S7 edge had absolutely zero after 1 year. I keep phone in my back pocket and I'm worried now.

There were a few articles about it around the release of the Note 7. This being one of them: Galaxy Note7 Gorilla Glass 5 display found harder to break, easier to scratch - GSMArena blog

However, I think this bit of news got lost in the shuffle of the recalls.

Edit: I didn't realize Jerry Rig released an updated scratch video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOz4Kf5AL7Q&feature=youtu.be

Keith929

May 10, 2017
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for the info.
Now I'm disheartened, I never use a screen protector and this will bring resale down. Feels like a step backwards, I much rather have scratch resistance than shatter.

Update: just saw the video of the updated test. Seems like GG5 is just as resistant to scratches as GG4?

Last edited:

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Officially no. However, if it is more shatter resistant then it is inherently softer. Since it was used on the Note7 and there too scratches were easy to develop I'd argue it's GG5 that's just susceptible to more scratches.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Actually I'm amazed that people are so turned off because of unable to put screen protector. Guess I'm in the real minority who just puts a good case with decent lip and not worry about screen protector knowing that I'm susceptible to minute scratches on the screen over a period of time. Never bothered me personally since I can't even see them unless I put them directly under a bright source of light.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually I'm amazed that people are so turned off because of unable to put screen protector. Guess I'm in the real minority who just puts a good case with decent lip and not worry about screen protector knowing that I'm susceptible to minute scratches on the screen over a period of time. Never bothered me personally since I can't even see them unless I put them directly under a bright source of light.
The problem is, I wouldn't consider 3 weeks on a brand new phone to be "over a period of time". A year, maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali