Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 in Android 4.3 instead of AVRCP 1.5

nahun7

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious if anybody would know why Google chose to implement Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 instead of the latest 1.5 version in Android 4.3. I know it would probably would have been a lot more work than just the metadata that 1.3 implements, but seems silly to me to not go with the latest.

I'm not complaining cause I really like having AVRCP 1.3 support now in my car. Just curious if someone would know. Maybe not much else uses Bluetooth AVRCP 1.5 yet and wouldn't have been worth it?

TT_Vert

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So would it be safe that META info would not be sent to a head unit then unless I have 4.3? if so I may download a 4.3 rom to test this. I did install an updated version of Pandora that I thought would enable this based on some reading but maybe not. I find it odd that I have an AVIC head unit in my vette that displays Pandora track info/art via Bluetooth yet my OEM head unit doesn't. Makes me think it is already enabled on my phone but maybe the app on the AVIC is doing this. I also appears 4.3 is not available for the Note II yet or am I mistaken?

nahun7

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Pandora uses its own protocol/standard for playing music and showing music info that is not dependent on another Bluetooth profile/standard. So both the AVIC head unit and your phone must run the Pandora application. Mine does the same thing.

The Bluetooth AVRCP profile/standard is global that anyone can implement for playing music. So your AVIC head unit implements the profile so any other phone/device that also has the profile can play music to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

So yes, the META info will NOT be sent to a head unit unless you have 4.3. I doubt 4.3 is available for the Note II. Probably won't be for some time.

TT_Vert

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So just to clarify I'll need to have a Pandora written app on both sides to display album art, song name/etc? Are there any apps I can download that will not need this? I tried spotify and a few others.

Dave

nahun7

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The head unit in your car would need to support whatever app you're running on the phone, which most likely is only Pandora. I don't know any others off the top of my head that exist.

ravens

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
anyone know if avrcp is able to support the costs of the cover art?
if so from which version?
in the touch panel of my car track element is displayed, but in reproduction by the way bluetooth is disabled (with an iPhone this is enabled) this could be the specification of avrcp?

nahun7

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
anyone know if avrcp is able to support the costs of the cover art?
if so from which version?
in the touch panel of my car track element is displayed, but in reproduction by the way bluetooth is disabled (with an iPhone this is enabled) this could be the specification of avrcp?

I don't think any AVRCP version supports displaying album art yet.

Ramakata Oblonsky

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I just checked and my phone is Android 4.1 and all meta info is transferred in HU, so I can see song, artist, album on display. However no cover art. it is hard to find any light if it is music player problem or HU that I can't see album art.

My car has also option random BT playback, however I do not see any difference between random and sequential playback. perhaps problem is in music player, however my music player supports random playback for sure, so perhaps it can't understand the BT command.