Bought a Note 3, only received a Note 3 "box"

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I bought the note 3 recently and when I opened the box, it had no phone, battery or back cover. The charger cable brochure and Note 3 box was all there. No sim either. Box was shipped fedex.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Here is the detail if you wanted to read:

I ordered the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via the phone at the Comcast /Verizon number 888-972-6131 on Sunday, December 1, 2013, taking advantage of the $200 visa prepaid card promotion. Per the e-mail confirmation, the order information is as follows: Order Number: X; Order Location: X.
On Monday morning, I received shipping confirmation. On Wednesday, I checked the tracking number # X and it indicated that the package was delivered on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM. All times listed herein are in PST. I was not home at the time, but when I got home, I asked my wife, and she indicated that she did not receive any package. On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM PST I called Verizon customer service at *611 from my primary line to check on the status of the order. The representative indicated that it is currently with FedEx and should be delivered soon. The representative informed me that storms might have delayed the shipment. On Thursday, December 5, 2013 at around 5:00 PM, a gentleman identifying himself as FedEx knocked on my door and asked me to sign for the package. I did not get a very good look at him as it was getting dark outside, but from what I can remember, the gentleman was older and had gray hair and was tall. I opened the package on Saturday morning around 12 AM and to my dismay, I did not find the phone, battery, back cover, or sim card inside. After that, I inspected the package further, and it appeared that the package was tampered with, the original tape removed, and the package was re-taped. I called Verizon at *611 around 12:05 AM and was connected with their lost/stolen phone department and spoke to Mr. X. He filled out ITTS Ticket # X on my behalf and indicated that it should normally take about a day for these types of situations to be resolved.
The FedEx tracking information indicated that it was delivered to a FedEx location and signed for by ? X?. I did not authorize this person to pick up the package for me, nor do I even know who this person is. The package was ?At local FedEx facility? at 8:04 AM on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 and ?Delivered? the same day at 8:36 AM in X. I do not live in that city, and this is the city of the FedEx Center. I did not go to FedEx to pick up this package. Additionally, the tracking never indicated that it was on the FedEx vehicle for delivery.

KiwiGrrl

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry this happened to you. But it doesn't surprise me with FedEx. Worked at a shipping store for a while and saw things like this more than a couple of times. In one case, it was a parcel someone sent for Christmas. Her son said he got it and she didn't think anything of it until she got a call from the depot - someone had found the check that was supposed to be in the parcel lying on the floor. Someone had carefully opened it, took what they wanted, taped it up and sent it on its way. It was done so carefully, her son had no idea til she called him and asked exactly what he'd gotten.

They are pretty good at resolving issues and with insurance claims though. Hopefully VZ get on the ball quick.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you contacted Fed-Ex as well? Seems as though they're the ones liable for releasing your package to some stranger. I also located this online, not sure how effective it would be, but since you do have the box with you, might be worth a shot. Track IMEI

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
How much did you pay for this box?

Hope they resolve the matter quickly because that sucks.

Posted via Android Central App

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
That sucks. I'm glad my delivery guys are good. I send mine to a po box and can only get packages with the key. Bonus is the head of the my post office nows me as I went in everyday as a child to pick up packages so if anyone else attempts it they might get and odd look.

I don't trust mailing items to the home as I'm in an apartment, old house maybe but its a risk with people taking packages off the front yard. I think with my nexus 4 I couldn't do a point box so I did it to my girlfriends house as on 40,000 sq m it's unlikely someone will see a package from the road and grab it.

That sucks hopefully they sort it out soon.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How much did you pay for this box?

Hope they resolve the matter quickly because that sucks.

Posted via Android Central App

Paid $200 with $200 visa prepaid card on 2 year contract.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you contacted Fed-Ex as well? Seems as though they're the ones liable for releasing your package to some stranger. I also located this online, not sure how effective it would be, but since you do have the box with you, might be worth a shot. Track IMEI

Verizon can use any carrier they wish but they are ultimately responsible for getting the phone to me. I am not the fedex customer, Verizon is since they are footing the shipping bill. But most certainly something is fishy on fedex.

I did try the imei tracker but didn't find anything.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Read your entire story, dpham00. Crazy. I hope you not only get your phone, but also somebody gets punished for what looks like theft. Stealing from USPS is a federal crime, but I don't think the same applies to FedEx or UPS.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Verizon can use any carrier they wish but they are ultimately responsible for getting the phone to me. I am not the fedex customer, Verizon is since they are footing the shipping bill. But most certainly something is fishy on fedex.

^^ sounds like you already got your phone! lol

KiwiGrrl

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I suspect it wasn't picked up by or released to anyone. Occasionally a package will get missed on the rounds but to keep themselves in the clear, they'll sign for it and deliver it the next day. It's more likely the theft was at the depot.

And you're right - it's up to the sender to put in all the necessary complaints and claims, not the recipient.

note2steve

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah sounds like your phone was stolen from the box I recently left FedEx ground after 4 years of being there and as soon as the workers figure out what packaging that certain stuff comes in its easy to know what boxes to steal from

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

note2steve

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Read your entire story, dpham00. Crazy. I hope you not only get your phone, but also somebody gets punished for what looks like theft. Stealing from USPS is a federal crime, but I don't think the same applies to FedEx or UPS.

It all applies the same way all felonies tampering with mail

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I suspect it wasn't picked up by or released to anyone. Occasionally a package will get missed on the rounds but to keep themselves in the clear, they'll sign for it and deliver it the next day. It's more likely the theft was at the depot.

And you're right - it's up to the sender to put in all the necessary complaints and claims, not the recipient.

I know ultimately it's Verizon that's responsible for engaging the courier, but I'm also sure that it's not that urgent an issue for Verizon. One of the reasons I'd engage the courier is because the faster you can get this situation under a microscope, the easier it'll be to track, and the sooner the piece of garbage that is stealing will get busted.

Sadly, considering what I've seen on TV, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inside job.

Makes you wish Amazon would get on the stick with their recently discussed program...Although I can see people trying to pick these things out of the sky.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
^^ sounds like you already got your phone! lol

Yes I bought a note 3 on release day for $90. Since I had another upgrade anyway and don't really want any other phone in the foreseeable future between now and mid next year, I figured might as well buy a backup since it was $200 with $200 visa prepaid card earlier this week.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah sounds like your phone was stolen from the box I recently left FedEx ground after 4 years of being there and as soon as the workers figure out what packaging that certain stuff comes in its easy to know what boxes to steal from

Interesting comment. The night before the delivery date, I received a few gift cards that I bought from Verizon. The FedEx guy asked if they were sim cards. I kinda just grunted as I would prefer they think it was sim cards rather than gift cards.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Interesting comment. The night before the delivery date, I received a few gift cards that I bought from Verizon. The FedEx guy asked if they were sim cards. I kinda just grunted as I would prefer they think it was sim cards rather than gift cards.

How would the FedEx guy come to think that there're cards in the package, or, even more specifically, SIM cards?

KiwiGrrl

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
How would the FedEx guy come to think that there're cards in the package, or, even more specifically, SIM cards?

It's actually pretty easy. When you're dealing with packages regularly you get to know certain packaging styles, addresses etc and from businesses, you can usually take a pretty good guess at what's in there. If it's from Verizon and it's not a phone-sized box then what else is it going to be?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I suspect it wasn't picked up by or released to anyone. Occasionally a package will get missed on the rounds but to keep themselves in the clear, they'll sign for it and deliver it the next day.
I had this happen with a CLNR that was sent to be delivered by 3pm. I was signed up for email alerts and the alert came through that it was delivered and left at front door while I was sitting at my computer. I raced to the front door and nothing was there. So I immediately called FedEx and they called the driver. The driver showed up with it within the hour. What the driver had done was put it in as delivered so that he met the 3pm deadline but he had not yet delivered it.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Hence the reason I would contact Fed-Ex directly, that's really not something their delivery drivers should be asking, and it does make one suspicious.

KiwiGrrl

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I had this happen with a CLNR that was sent to be delivered by 3pm. I was signed up for email alerts and the alert came through that it was delivered and left at front door while I was sitting at my computer. I raced to the front door and nothing was there. So I immediately called FedEx and they called the driver. The driver showed up with it within the hour. What the driver had done was put it in as delivered so that he met the 3pm deadline but he had not yet delivered it.

Yeah, I had customers yelling at me once because the tracking stated their parcel had been delivered and signed for by me. I got online and looked at the records and discovered my first name was spelled wrong, my surname was incorrect and the signature wasn't mine. Driver turned up with it the next morning and boy did he get an earful! Turns out it had fallen down behind something in the truck and when he found it, he tried covering his ****.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter