Bought the LapDock!

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have it. Tomorrow I'll buy the phone itself from Costco.

Opted to pick up the LapDock tonight to have one secured. The employees at the local corporate store seemed impressed. I can confirm that there is no tethering required!

Right now it's charging. Without the phone it doesn't do anything. I can say the finish on it is very nice and doesn't feel flimsy or cheap.

Looking forward to tomorrow!!!

fireplug

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've heard mixed reviews on how well it works. Will be checking in here, if you are willing, for your real life use review. I am intrigued but the price is a bummer.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I've heard mixed reviews on how well it works. Will be checking in here, if you are willing, for your real life use review. I am intrigued but the price is a bummer.

I'll be reviewing mine tomorrow as well. i took the day off to completely geek out with my 'precious' (in my best Smeagol voice). As long as the store(s) have the Lapdock in stock, i'll be using my OG Droid to record some stuff and will be posting something by mid-day. (here's hoping!)

Reactions: slvrdrgn123

fireplug

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll be reviewing mine tomorrow as well. i took the day off to completely geek out with my 'precious' (in my best Smeagol voice). As long as the store(s) have the Lapdock in stock, i'll be using my OG Droid to record some stuff and will be posting something by mid-day. (here's hoping!)

Cool. Thanks CN. I am thinking of buying with the thought that I could always return if it doesn't function well (who would blame me in that case) but it sucks that they are giving no discounts at all except for the $100 off if one signs up for $50 data plan. But having an unlimited data plan makes this pseudo netbook desirable when you figure you will never have to pay another dime to go online anywhere there is 4g.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Will post what I can when I can. I plan to run this thing through its paces tomorrow!

We should totally create a new thread saying.. "ChevyNovaLN posted from his Bionic Lapdock" and you can create ANOTHER new thread saying "SnydersWeb posted from his Bionic Lapdock", and then....

ok, maybe not. haha. there will be way too many new threads between now and the time I wake up in the a.m., dont need more :)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
We should totally create a new thread saying.. "ChevyNovaLN posted from his Bionic Lapdock" and you can create ANOTHER new thread saying "SnydersWeb posted from his Bionic Lapdock", and then....

ok, maybe not. haha. there will be way too many new threads between now and the time I wake up in the a.m., dont need more :)
You should have got them both at Verizon. They are offering a $100 mail in rebate if you buy the Bionic and lapdock together.

MOTOROLA LAPDOCK - Verizon Wireless

slvrdrgn123

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You should have got them both at Verizon. They are offering a $100 mail in rebate if you buy the Bionic and lapdock together.

MOTOROLA LAPDOCK - Verizon Wireless
As stated on the first page, you only get the $100 rebate if you sign up for a $50 or higher data plan.:mad:

I want to get a lapdock too, but I the price is a bit high. Might just stick with an HD dock instead and see if prices drop after a while. $300 is a lot considering a lot of reviews are saying it hasn't improved over the Atrix one. Will be waiting for more user reviews before I make the decision. Don't need it right away tomorrow so I can wait a few days to pick it up since there's no bundle deals for it anyways.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
As stated on the first page, you only get the $100 rebate if you sign up for a $50 or higher data plan.:mad:

I want to get a lapdock too, but I the price is a bit high. Might just stick with an HD dock instead and see if prices drop after a while. $300 is a lot considering a lot of reviews are saying it hasn't improved over the Atrix one. Will be waiting for more user reviews before I make the decision. Don't need it right away tomorrow so I can wait a few days to pick it up since there's no bundle deals for it anyways.

Ah missed that part. Definitely not worth it then.

jeremyashburn

Aug 18, 2011
www.senukeunderground.com
Anyone care to post their thoughts on the lapdock? I've already got a 13"-Inch Toshiba Laptop that gives me 6-7 hours of life. Is it worth it to buy the Bionic and the 11.7" Lapdock? That's the real question burning holes thru my retinas. Wait. I can't see anything...Oh...

fireplug

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Was just talking to the sales rep here as he was walking into the store to open it and he sugested , since I'm on the fence about the lapdock, that I should get it and try it out for 14 days and if it isn't everything I want then bring it back with no problems on return. Ill probably do that just because I am curious and thought of an "always online "netbook" at 4G speeds sounds cool.

By the way, he also said that any product that ends in .97 cents can't be discounted in any way in their system. This lapdock is first item other than Apple products with that distinction that he knows of.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Typing this from my LapDock on my shiny new phone!!

Overall I'm quite pleased with it thus far. It's nice to have a keyboard you can actually type on. It offers pretty cool interaction between the dock and the phone.. definitely liking it! It's fairly responsive.. yes it lags a little bit on Flash sites..

The phone pushes in a bit more than I would like.. I would like to feel more of a snap in type thing.. Oh well it works. Sometimes the phone seemed to hesitate a little before I was able to get the WebTop to fully fire up. Often it took opening and closing the LapDock a couple of times to get the phone to fully "grab". Only other minor gripe is that you really have to turn off the touchpad when using the keypad.. but it's no big deal.

I might try to get some video of it. It's still quite new and I'm exploring it out and finding the limits of it

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I mirror SnydersWeb's comments. I like it in general but it does have its quirks. I seemed to lock up the WebTop app by some random series of events and had to reboot my phone to get the webtop to work again. Didn't see a way to 'kill' the webtop app if it misbehaves.

I intended on doing MUCH more this evening with it but my primary 'want' for the Lapdock isn't working yet. It does have the Citrix Receiver installed by default and would work if I had a well known 'Trusted Root CA' for securing my Citrix server, but since I did self-signed certs and Android still has no way to use those yet (Apple can!!) its giving me fits. This has NOTHING specific to do with the lapdock, just stating my sadness because thats one major reason I wanted to get it.

Also, yeah, NO discount even though I have 25% off 'accessories' and this is definately an accessory, but they wouldn't budge. I like the finish, the display is nice 'n bright/clean, its light yet firm/sturdy, but I did find my self accidentally 'palming' the touchpad while typing on the slightly condensed keyboard which would draw focus away from what I was typing. Minor, training issue :)

I got called into work and will be here VERY late tonight fixing an issue so I can't go into great detail, but to the person debating on using this vs his already 13" Laptop.... Keep your laptop. no sense in spending $300 unless you're worried about security (nothing ON the lapdock to get stolen from your car, etc..) because ALL you truely get out of the lapdock is a portable keyboard, larger screen, Full FireFox browser (about 90% of a true desktop browser) and method of charging your phone with no wires :) Now, if they had included an 'RDP Client' in the Webtop, I would be 100% happy, but alas.... stock... it doesn't have it.

I'll post more tomorrow when I get a chance to REALLY use it.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I too am after a good RDP client. Post if you find out one.

SOB.... I just spent some time setting up a WEB-based RDP page on my website that has a Java JAR file that will let me RDP from within a browser.... and I find out that the Webtop Firefox implementation HAS NO JAVA SUPPORT!!!!

That is VERY disappointing. Flash yes... Java No.

longiotti

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Anyone going to try the atrix dock? Try and flip the ports somehow. If you hack it i wonder if it would work. Half the price.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly