Brand new LG G6 - Camera unavailable/constantly crashing

desxf1013

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I bought a brand new (still sealed in box) LG G6 on ebay a few months ago. From day 1, the camera did not work. When I would load the camera app, it would go black and say 'camera unavailable'. I tried everything I could think of, including a factory reset without adding my sim card or micro sd. Then I tried with those. Same issue. Every time.

So, I sent the phone off to LG and they replaced the rear camera (not the phone, just the camera) and sent it back. Right off the bat, same issue. Now, I could get it to work sporadically, but there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for why it would stop working.
So, I sent the phone off to LG again. And again, they replaced the rear camera.

Got it back and AGAIN... same problem. It would work initially, but then hours later, I'd try it again and it would crash. And again, I would factory reset and test it before I loaded any apps. I tested in safe mode. I tested with and without my sim card. Same issue.
So I sent it off to LG once again, with the promise from a supervisor that they would either completely fix the issue, or send me a new phone.

I got the phone back for a 3rd time, saying “replaced rear camera” and I almost lost my mind. Strangely though, at first, the camera actually worked. It was good for about a day, but then the crashing started again. And it was sporadic again. It would work after I did a hard reset some of the time, but would crash about an hour later. Or sometimes it would crash right after a full factory reset. There was just no pattern to it at all. I’m thinking it’s some kind of software issue or maybe an issue with the motherboard. Who knows.

Guys, I have tried literally everything I can think of. Apparently not even LG can fix it. They want me to send the phone back again, but I have zero faith that it will do anything. I bought this phone over 2 months ago and haven’t been able to use it.
Before I send it off for a 4th time, does anyone have any insight to this? I’m about ready to throw it in the trash. I will never buy another LG again. And I will never not purchase my phone through Verizon ever again. At least they would have just replaced the phone!!

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Something that fails like that would generally be a bad solder joint. Obviously since they replaced the camera module that's not where the issue was, but after they put it back together and it passed some rudimentary test they declared it fixed. I personally wouldn't settle for anything other than a replacement phone. Is the ebay seller a business that you can try to get an exchange from rather than dealing with LG? One of the advantages of using a credit card and a major retailer is you have some other avenues for relief in cases like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko