Buy Rezound or wait?

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The One series announcement got me interested in the current HTC phones, thinking they would get Sense 4.x. Now that we know the Rezound will be stuck with 3.x forever, would you hold out for something better to be released for Verizon in the next 3 months? Imagesense, 2.2 aperture or better camera, beats api, 4.3" or less display are all really important features for me, so I think I'm may kick myself if I pull the trigger now. My OG Droid is driving me nuts though!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As a Rezound owner, I would recommend waiting to see what the up and coming HTC line will look like. Also, there is a chance Verizon could see the SGS3 at some point.

If you're a "must have it now" kind of guy, the Rezound will not disappoint. Yea, Sense 3.6 not 4.x is scheduled with ICS, but the overall quality of the Rezound is stunning. It has the best signal strength of any phone I've used, awesome GPS reception, and few if none factory flaws. Going from an original Droid to the Rezound is like going from a Honda Civic to a Ferrari.

Bottom line, I would wait a month to see what Verizon has up their sleeve. The rumor mill speaks of some pretty cool phones coming out.

Hmong_Xiong

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
As a Rezound owner, I would recommend waiting to see what the up and coming HTC line will look like. Also, there is a chance Verizon could see the SGS3 at some point.

If you're a "must have it now" kind of guy, the Rezound will not disappoint. Yea, Sense 3.6 not 4.x is scheduled with ICS, but the overall quality of the Rezound is stunning. It has the best signal strength of any phone I've used, awesome GPS reception, and few if none factory flaws. Going from an original Droid to the Rezound is like going from a Honda Civic to a Ferrari.

Bottom line, I would wait a month to see what Verizon has up their sleeve. The rumor mill speaks of some pretty cool phones coming out.

Exactly, SGS3 + VZW = Can't wait...lol nice reference to a Civic to a Ferrari lol

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Wait...hold up. Why aren't you simply getting a Nexus? Why but a device that's launched with gingerbread and will only get the update to ICS?

I'd definitely pass on the Rezound though. Wait for a device that's launching with ICS that way, you can at the very least a hope of it getting at least one major upgrade.

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Nexus: Camera is lame, and the thing is huge with the 4.6 display. I also see Sense and HTC finally adding some value to AOSP with the 4.x series. HTC appears to be concerned with their shrinking customer base to moto and Samsung, and they actually appear to have a solid plan to fix that. Unfortunately, it feels like that plan only includes future phones instead of including the ones that are on the shelf now.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

I wholeheartedly agree on waiting a bit. That SG3 chance, is a very big IF. Should they carry the SG3 or similar variant. Your looking at a very late Q4 release at the earliest. That said, it may very well be worth the wait if you can cross your fingers for a few months before any announcement sees the light of day.

Rezound will get the ICS/Sense 4.0 experience at some point, in the form of a custom rom, if you root. Should see it, in short order, after devs get ahold of the source code. Unless HTC does something drastic to cease/block root methods, of course.

Realistically, that wait is more like 2 months away. We already have a good idea of what's coming in the short term. If none of the rumored/ map items through April catch your eye. Anything beyond the Dinc HD & Moto Fighter, you may be waiting awhile for word.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Wait...hold up. Why aren't you simply getting a Nexus? Why but a device that's launched with gingerbread and will only get the update to ICS?

I'd definitely pass on the Rezound though. Wait for a device that's launching with ICS that way, you can at the very least a hope of it getting at least one major upgrade.

The Rezound is scheduled to get ICS soon, and there isn't anything preventing it from getting Jelly Bean after. HTC is very good about updating their phones.

The Nexus is another good choice. But I prefer Sense and the faster processor in the Rezound. Either phone will impress, but once the Rezound is loaded with ICS, I believe it will best the Nexus in every category. Just my opinion. The Rezound is still a top tier phone and will be for a while.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I would say go on because I have not seen a phone with the golden combination of features as the rezound coming up. Plus I don't think version will get any of the one series, or at least not till later.

I saw the other day a report about an incredible 3 possibly soon. It looked like it was a complete winner in ever respect except for qhd display. Biggest attraction being the 4" screen to me, just lower res. If they released it with 4" 720p screen, dual-core s4, 4g, and ics, that would be the phone that put htc back on top.

O and the gsIII is rumored to have a 4.7" screen, so if you don't like ridiculously huge phones, forget about it.

dogboyr1

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat, I have a dinc2 and was going to trade for a rezound, but now I think I will hold out for the new iphone5

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The Rezound is scheduled to get ICS soon, and there isn't anything preventing it from getting Jelly Bean after. HTC is very good about updating their phones.

The Nexus is another good choice. But I prefer Sense and the faster processor in the Rezound. Either phone will impress, but once the Rezound is loaded with ICS, I believe it will best the Nexus in every category. Just my opinion. The Rezound is still a top tier phone and will be for a while.

The TI OMAP 4460 in the Nexus is superior to the S3 in the Rez. It's spec'd @ 1.2ghz but it's actually underclocked from 1.5ghz. It tops us in benchmark scores but it's not all that noticeable in real world use. Our gpu beats the GN though.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The TI OMAP 4460 in the Nexus is superior to the S3 in the Rez. It's spec'd @ 1.2ghz but it's actually underclocked from 1.5ghz. It tops us in benchmark scores but it's not all that noticeable in real world use. Our gpu beats the GN though.

When I run "Quadrant Standard," the benchmarks are higher on the Rezound. Not a big difference, but higher nonetheless.

The Nexus and Rezound are both the reigning kings of the Verizon network. I'll leave it at that. I'll only surrender my Rezound for the SGS3 if it comes to Verizon. Nothing in their phone forecast blows my hair back.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The Rezound or for that matter any Android phone still using Gingerbread for its OS is a bad decision.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The Rezound or for that matter any Android phone still using Gingerbread for its OS is a bad decision.

Why? The Rezound will be updated within a month or two. I'm not trying to start an argument; I'm just curious why you think that way.

The Razr Max, for example, is super durable; definitely more so than the Nexus and has a fantastic battery life. Some people see value in that.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
When I run "Quadrant Standard," the benchmarks are higher on the Rezound. Not a big difference, but higher nonetheless.

The Nexus and Rezound are both the reigning kings of the Verizon network. I'll leave it at that. I'll only surrender my Rezound for the SGS3 if it comes to Verizon. Nothing in their phone forecast blows my hair back.

Mine has edged it in the past as well but that is compared w/ the GN @ 1.2ghz. I've yet to see a Rezound take top billing over an OMAP 4460 once clocked native and beyond. S3 overclocked to 1.8ghz didn't beat the 4460 @ 1.6ghz in QS results. (Aside from the gpu scores)

The ludicrousness of that sentence exceeds all previous posts I've read in this forum. Given your axe of choice, I see why you still attempt to sound so elitist. I might agree with you have I not been running an ICS rom for almost 2 months now on my Rez. As nice as ICS is and all it's new features, it deserves praise but it doesn't change the fact it's been overhyped.

Reactions: burwil

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine has edged it in the past as well but that is compared w/ the GN @ 1.2ghz. I've yet to see a Rezound take top billing over an OMAP 4460 once clocked native and beyond. S3 overclocked to 1.8ghz didn't beat the 4460 @ 1.6ghz in QS results. (Aside from the gpu scores)

The ludicrousness of that sentence exceeds all previous posts I've read in this forum. Given your axe of choice, I see why you still attempt to sound so elitist. I might agree with you have I not been running an ICS rom for almost 2 months now on my Rez. As nice as ICS is and all it's new features, it deserves praise but it doesn't change the fact it's been overhyped.

I have both the GNex and Rezound. The Rezound is my daily driver. ICS is nice but I prefer the reliability and overall unquestionably better phone in the Rezound.

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to attempt to hold out for more info on the fireball/incredible 3, then choose that or fall back to the Rezound. I just remembered that the One series was announced with an integrated battery, and I'm not gonna play that game.

Thanks all!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm sorry you are incapable of discussing my post with the personal attacks and name calling. At least you are satisfied with paying a premium price for a higher end phone that uses an operating system that is more than a year old and is not the current Android OS. I'm not sure at what point, I personally attacked you, or insulted you, but please do feel free to continue if that is what makes you feel special.

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to attempt to hold out for more info on the fireball/incredible 3, then choose that or fall back to the Rezound. I just remembered that the One series was announced with an integrated battery, and I'm not gonna play that game.

Thanks all!

I believe there was an article on droid-life.com that said the specs of the fireball were not as good as the rezound

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/1...bably-a-snapdragon-s4-but-only-a-qhd-display/

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'd disagree with that, I would rather have a phone that runs well that doesn't have radio problems, reboot problems or whatever, than have ICS with problems.

I'm sorry you are incapable of discussing my post with the personal attacks and name calling. At least you are satisfied with paying a premium price for a higher end phone that uses an operating system that is more than a year old and is not the current Android OS. I'm not sure at what point, I personally attacked you, or insulted you, but please do feel free to continue if that is what makes you feel special.

I paid $50 on upgrade for my Rezound less than 2 weeks after release in November. I do not consider $50 to be a premium price.

With regards to ICS, I have used ICS on my Touchpad. I didn't see any "WOW" factor, any feature that I must have. To be honest, I am more than satisfied with the Rezound, even on gb. It just runs well, and does what I need. The Rezound exceeded my expectations. Of course, that is my opinion, others may see a feature or features that they must have and really want ICS.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd disagree with that, I would rather have a phone that runs well that doesn't have radio problems, reboot problems or whatever, than have ICS with problems.

I paid $50 on upgrade for my Rezound less than 2 weeks after release in November. I do not consider $50 to be a premium price.

With regards to ICS, I have used ICS on my Touchpad. I didn't see any "WOW" factor, any feature that I must have. To be honest, I am more than satisfied with the Rezound, even on gb. It just runs well, and does what I need. The Rezound exceeded my expectations. Of course, that is my opinion, others may see a feature or features that they must have and really want ICS.

That's great. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that the Rezound is not using the current Android OS.