Buy the 4G note pro?

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have the older note 10.1. I got the tab S 10 inch version and returned it as I felt the upgrade didn't justify the price tag.

I find myself wanting to go for the note pro 12.2 (in no small part due to the s pen). I see ebay has a wifi+4g att version listing for 500 $ which seems like a steal, considering the only issue is that the box is damaged. The seller does give a two week period to test the tablet completely and if not satisfied will accept return for replacement or repair(the plastic screen which comes with a new tablet is apparently still on). The original warranty from Samsung is valid also.

Will it be a worthy upgrade from the older 10.1 in terms of screen quality? . I have the note 3 so pretty aware of the differences in the s pen functionality. My main use is to play games and watch movies and videos. I will also use this a little for its office capabilities and the remote pc, and plan to use it a lot more for notes.

Should I take the plunge taking into mind the comparison in screen quality? .

One other question, I thought there were only the lte (snapdragon chip) and the wifi (exynos) versions in this tablet in the u.s. is there a 4g only version I don't know about, as the seller mentions 4g but not lte specifically. Asking this to confirm the lte chipset and not for signal strength issues.

Thanks for your inputs. I would appreciate if it's something than later as the item is listed as almost gone.

I want this to be my only tablet from here on and so need the sim card.

Posted via Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'm not a fan of cellular based android tablets anymore. These days android tablets are not given the same update priority of phones, at least that seems to be the Case with Samsung tablets. Having a carrier based one puts oneself at an even greater disadvantage. If you are already aware of this then that may not be an issue for you. Being a person who likes to tinker and having owned a Verizon Galaxy Tab 10.1 for 2 years I decided not to get a cellular tablet again. I now carry a Unite LTE hotspot with me and I have no regrets.

I suggest you take a look at some threads since there have been some reports of stability issues with the AT&T variant. Look at the Blue screen threads here and on the xda note pro forum.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

fastcarve

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the AT&T model(s), so I can't give specifics on the 4G/LTE support. I have the Verizion LTE model and it is pretty much perfect, except for not having as much internal storage as I want (only 32GB + SD card) and not having an AMOLED screen. Still, the screen should be far superior to the older Note 10.1.

I'm a huge fan of the built-in LTE (or any cellular data) despite the limitation of less frequent updates. The convenience of having quick access to anything anywhere has resulted in me using it far more often than I did on a wifi-only tablet despite the hotspot option - but that's just me and my laziness.

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ppl..with my note 3's hot spot feature i shouldn't have the limitation of signal unavailability on my 12.2 also, regardless the variety i use for my phone. .hopefully

I just ordered a certified refurbished wifi only 12.2 for 420$ from amazon with a 90 day warranty..hoping that the exynos and the gpu don't cause lag compared to the lte version with the few games i play...

I just don't trust ebay for expensive open box electronics i guess

Hoping that the tablet will be all i needed and then some

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife the Snapdragon 800 version of the Note Pro 12.2 with LTE from AT&T brand new. The biggest reason getting that version versus the Exynos wifi only version from my research was that the Snapdragon version's battery charges a lot faster. Video reviews also implied the Snapdragon versions handled multi-tasking better than the Exynos version....ie: no lag. People talk about blue screens and flickering, particularly with the AT&T version but after 4 months we have not experienced any of that. It is a great tablet. I am now considering getting one myself.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the AT&T LTE version for a week and can attest that mine was flawless and worked very well. I did replace the launcher with Nova Prime almost immediately but I do that to all my android devices.

Flawless and highly recommended IME.

G3 📱🍭

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess a savings of about 400 $ convinced me to settle for the wifi model, specially since I am a student

Will definitely put it through the ringer within the 1 month return period Amazon has... Any problems like flickering or battery issues and I am planning to save up and switch to the lte version.

As of now I am not planning on multi tasking other than when working with s note.. But hopefully I will find a lot more use for this feature. Though the note 3 has it I find the screen to be still small for me.

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
If you are a student, highly recommend lecturenotes and lecturerecordings apps. I use them at work and with the large screen and S-Pen, they are two of the best apps built for these things. I have the Verizon version and love it. Mine is very stable and yes we may not get the updates that often, but mine is stable and no problems and most often the updates do not make major changes. If the environment is stable, I'm fine if I get the update or do not.

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Just got my refurbished wifi version delivered yesterday. Messed up a bit on installing the tempered glass but not too concerned about it.

The screen has little scratches that were visible when looked at under the light at an angle but other than that there is no cosmetic damages. .

Definitely loving the screen. Hancom office suite seems just fine though didn't test it out rigorously yet. Really looking forward to use the remote pc app..
Writing on this thing is as close as you get as on paper. .amazing.
Got the indexing service consuming too much battery so planning to format the sd card as i had this issue with the tab s when i had it.
If the battery life is decent and i am able to play games like dead trigger and nova, this one's a keeper. .