By time the EVO comes out......

gol706

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
There's something "weird" about text messages. I don't get all the technical wiz but from my understanding it's not really data OR voice.
Somebody wanna step up and explain in simple English?

My understanding, at least as to how it works on GSM networks, is that there is a separate control channel that is used for things like your cellphone broadcasting it's presence to the nearest tower and negotiating switching from one tower to another while you are driving. This channel is much smaller than the channels that carry data and voice, but it is sufficient for these sorts of "I am here" messages. For SMS they decided that there was a small amount of extra space in the existing control messages that could be used to for sending text messages. That is also why SMS is limited to 140 characters, and also why some say it costs carriers nothing to send SMS messages that they charge 20 cents for.

MMS messages on the other hand are a different beast entirely, and usually go over data channels since there is no way a picture or video could be fit into 140 bytes.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe texts on the Palm pre are converted to data? I know Sprint used to use data for textx back in the day, and called it short mail or something like that. Maybe the Palm pre is using data for the texts somehow though?

Other than that, there is no logical reason why texts would not interrupt a data connection. Like another poster said, when I get a text you can see the EV change to 1X on my sprint Touch Pro 2, and my slingbox (or internet radio stream) stops. Yeah, it comes back on, but it is still pretty annoying that it gets interrupted every time I get a text/tweet/facebook message, etc- which I get hundreds per day so it's a real problem.

Will8475

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The people who say Sprint has horrible or not sufficent service are not Sprint customers. i have no problem with the service.Sprint is now on the par of Verizon or At&t so stop writing post about a service you don't even have.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Guys...

Sending texts doesn't require data. If you turn off your EVDO, you still get texts. That's why, if you have a Palm Pre, you can do both.

Anyway, so many Pre haters here. I'm thinking about jumping ship... but I don't know yet. You guys act like the Pre is like the instinct.
Get the new kernels... it'll keep you satisfied with the Pre until Evo comes out.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Guys...

Sending texts doesn't require data. If you turn off your EVDO, you still get texts. That's why, if you have a Palm Pre, you can do both.

Anyway, so many Pre haters here. I'm thinking about jumping ship... but I don't know yet. You guys act like the Pre is like the instinct.
Get the new kernels... it'll keep you satisfied with the Pre until Evo comes out.

Naw, I am lazy, too much work. I am just gonna live with it until the Evo comes out.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Guys...

That doesn't make sense. You're saying the Pre doesn't require data to send texts, and that is why you can use data while sending a text?

It may very well not use data for texts, but that certainly doesn't prove it. I mean, talking on the phone doesn't require data, we know that for sure, and yet we also know that can not talk on the phone at the same time as using data.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The people who say Sprint has horrible or not sufficent service are not Sprint customers. i have no problem with the service.Sprint is now on the par of Verizon or At&t so stop writing post about a service you don't even have.

To be honest, Sprint's customer service used to be terrible. I've been a customer since 2003 and I went with them because of their prices. But I had tons of billing issues for the first couple years and I was on the phone with them almost every month to get things sorted out. It was always like pulling teeth to get my issues resolved. However in the last few years they've really turned things around and I haven't had any issues with them in quite a while.

Not yet they don't...you guys will see... We will have voice + data with the EVO. ;)

Maybe. Sprint has said they're working on it but won't commit to anything. There's no technical reason why they can't do it, but that doesn't guarantee that it will happen.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
That doesn't make sense. You're saying the Pre doesn't require data to send texts, and that is why you can use data while sending a text?

It may very well not use data for texts, but that certainly doesn't prove it. I mean, talking on the phone doesn't require data, we know that for sure, and yet we also know that can not talk on the phone at the same time as using data.

I think what he meant to say was: You can talk on the phone AND send/receive texts at the same time. Although Texting is a "data" service, it doesn't use the EvDO/1xRTT modem that transmits data, therefore, while on a call the SMS can still be sent. Back in the days of ShortMail... ugh, just threw up in my mouth a little, there was an issue with sending "text messages" and talking on the phone. When Sprint adopted the SMS international method, all was well in the world of texting / talking.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, Sprint's customer service used to be terrible. I've been a customer since 2003 and I went with them because of their prices. But I had tons of billing issues for the first couple years and I was on the phone with them almost every month to get things sorted out. It was always like pulling teeth to get my issues resolved. However in the last few years they've really turned things around and I haven't had any issues with them in quite a while.

Sprint's customer service still sucks, lol. Just the other day I was chatting with a rep trying to find out if I'll be able to charge the Evo to my account when it's released or if I will have to have the funds readily available on my credit card. They said the only way they would be able to tell me is if they actually tried to charge it on my account. And since it isn't for sale yet, they can't give me an answer.

So I still have no idea if I will need to have a certain amount available on my credit card- which nobody can tell me how much yet, or if I will simply be able to charge it to my account and then pay for it on my monthly bill.

And they are like this with everything. I can't remember the last time they actually helped me with something. Every time I contact them it turns out to be a huge waste of my time.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I think what he meant to say was: You can talk on the phone AND send/receive texts at the same time. Although Texting is a "data" service, it doesn't use the EvDO/1xRTT modem that transmits data, therefore, while on a call the SMS can still be sent. Back in the days of ShortMail... ugh, just threw up in my mouth a little, there was an issue with sending "text messages" and talking on the phone. When Sprint adopted the SMS international method, all was well in the world of texting / talking.

Haha ShortMail! I think I had purged that from my memory and now you're making me think of web based messaging all over again. Thanks guy!

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint's customer service still sucks, lol. Just the other day I was chatting with a rep trying to find out if I'll be able to charge the Evo to my account when it's released or if I will have to have the funds readily available on my credit card. They said the only way they would be able to tell me is if they actually tried to charge it on my account. And since it isn't for sale yet, they can't give me an answer.

So I still have no idea if I will need to have a certain amount available on my credit card- which nobody can tell me how much yet, or if I will simply be able to charge it to my account and then pay for it on my monthly bill.

And they are like this with everything. I can't remember the last time they actually helped me with something. Every time I contact them it turns out to be a huge waste of my time.

They're certainly not perfect, and that's a pretty good example of a simple question they should have been able to answer. Just for the record I'm pretty sure you can charge the phone to your account. I've upgraded my phone in the past and had it added to my bill rather than having to outright purchase it separately. But it's been a few years so it's possible that's not the case anymore.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

yeah, they are far from perfect... however, no carrier technically is. And it's going to be small things like this that annoy the customer.

An independent dealer usually bills to the account more so than a corporate store, so they would know for sure (it's called the VAD system), and they love doing it since they don't have to put out the cash for the device and lose some of their stock doing it.

Haha ShortMail! I think I had purged that from my memory and now you're making me think of web based messaging all over again. Thanks guy!

AWFUL. I remember using the Treo 300 workaround, it helped with dressing up the Shortmail issue but it was FAR from perfect.

yazman666

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
So I'm jumping the At&t and Iphone ship. I really want to go to a android phone. So I figured the Evo would be perfect. I'm kind of confused on why its taking Sprint so long to get the phone out to the market. Its losing a lot of steam right now....With the Incredible coming out and the Iphone coming out soon, Sprint is sure to lose those customers that were going to go to them just because of the Evo. I know there will always be a bigger and better phone coming out every other month it seems, but come on Sprint. I guess I'm impatient. So in closing on my mini rant, should I hold out for the EVO even though my city doesn't have 4G?

Sure we are all confused..bot also we all agree with the exact same thing....WE R GETTING THE EVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yazman666

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I alreaddy went to home-depot and adquired one of the best hammers ...just to smash my (mt3g) that would be a happy day...for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pumice stone