Calendars...What one do you use?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Let me first say that I am not new to Android, but am new to the Samsung line...and loving my Note4.

I've been content with the stock calendar app, but after seeing this it got me wondering if there isn't more that I could be getting out of the calendar. I'm a business user, and we recently migrated from Exchange to Office 365. Is it possible with any of these calendars, to see other calendars that are shared to you in the Office 365 environment? I've got 5 account managers that work for me and I can see their calendars in Outlook, but just wondering if any of these calendars support me being able to see them on my phone?

Also, I use Google Calendar for personal things, and really how the stock calendar overlays them and color codes them so I can easily tell which calendar a certain registry is in. I'm guessing these all work that same way?

Would someone (for example, a Business Calendar Pro user) please mind telling me what additional features or functionality you enjoy over the stock calendar app? The only real complaint I've had thus far is the lack of options when it comes to meeting requests/invites. I'd love the ability to view in calendar and then propose a new meeting time.

I think it depends on if your email program supports your calendar. I have msn.com email accounts and when I use the Outlook app, I can sync my calendar and it shows up on a+Calendar, but if I use Cloud Magic for email, my calendar and contacts aren't synced so I always have to have the Outlook app installed, even if I don't use it.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Tjis may be a stupid calendar question, But is there an app that changes the date on the actual icon not on an actual widget

Today Calender does (it might need Nova or another launcher. I haven't checked). If you have Nova Launcher, there are many Nova themes (such as Planus) that have icons that skin Calendar app icons to show the current date.

joediver

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for aCalendar+ from a calendar junkie.... I must have bought or tried them all. Love the flexibility, layout and color schemes.

Posted via Android Central App

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for aCalendar+ from a calendar junkie.... I must have bought or tried them all. Love the flexibility, layout and color schemes.

Posted via Android Central App

Yes - aCalendar+. Their little icon just says a+ which is why I always get it backwards. 😛

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Another vote for the Google Calendar - I prefer the look of this one to the stock calendar, mind you I don't use it that often. I saw a video that shows the stock calendar app changes when the Note 4 gets lollipop so thats something to look out for

rdroyer

May 26, 2014
Visit site
After switching back to TouchWhiz, I might go back to the stock calendar. The main reason I was looking for something else was I was using Buzz Launcher and they didn't have stock calendar widget support.

I am definitely looking forward to Lollipop.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I like the new look of the Google Calendar but not the functionality. If you ever had a Palm, you'd understand how bad GCal is, though it is much improved and *extremely* better than the iOS calendar.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
I like the new look of the Google Calendar but not the functionality. If you ever had a Palm, you'd understand how bad GCal is, though it is much improved and *extremely* better than the iOS calendar.

I could see this for a power user... but, for someone who uses their phone calendar simply to remind them of dental appointments and bill due dates, Google Calendar works flawlessly.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I could see this for a power user... but, for someone who uses their phone calendar simply to remind them of dental appointments and bill due dates, Google Calendar works flawlessly.
I wouldn't say flawlessly. My default calendar no longer is an option to place appts on (the one that is your email address) - it just doesn't show in the list, and if you have more than one calendar, you still can't change the event to a different calendar after the event has been set nor can you set a default calendar - I'd say that's far from flawless.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
My vote goes for Pocket Informant. Lots of features, highly customizable, regular updates, I have used it for years.

I used PI on iOS and when I moved to Android, everyone complained about how inferior the Android version was so I didn't even bother. It was because of PI though that I had a Google calendar at all because that's how I backed up PI. I loved it on iOS and had planned to continue using it but the reviews were not favorable.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say flawlessly. My default calendar no longer is an option to place appts on (the one that is your email address) - it just doesn't show in the list, and if you have more than one calendar, you still can't change the event to a different calendar after the event has been set nor can you set a default calendar - I'd say that's far from flawless.

I've never heard of that issue with Google's calendar. That's unfortunate for you... glad you found something that works better for you though.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of that issue with Google's calendar. That's unfortunate for you... glad you found something that works better for you though.

But you are right. If you only have the one calendar, then you wouldn't notice any of these things, unless of course it isn't showing up, then I guess you are just SOL ha ha.

dswartze

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I like the material design of the Google Calendar, but they took some functionality away (compressing/expanding the hours and displaying all 7 days in the week). I've switched to Today Calendar. Love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332