Camera fixed via secret oth update??? You Decide

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, I had infrequently used my camera but after reading the posts about cleaning the lens (duh) I took some photos and was very impressed. My lens had some fingerprint residue on it, and for a lens that tiny it wouldn't take much to refract the light and confuse the autofocus mechanism and spoil the image. As for the secret OTA update, I'm skeptical but willing to be proven wrong.

berry_buster

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Something has to have changed, my auto focus NEVER worked. I took a ton of pictures last night trying to get it to work.....It has worked 100% of the time this morning......

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Boom, auto focus works! No weeks of waiting and reading leaked reports or screenshots of something being fixed or updated, kind of refreshing.

isleshocky77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one who has mixed feelings on this? Yes I'm ecstatic that the camera is now working flawlessly and i can use the bar code scanner a whole lot easier.

But, I don't like the idea of a silent secret update. There should be some level of user interaction or at least an option to have user interaction when it comes to updates. What's the point of having the "System Updates - Check for system updates" item in "About Phone"? Also, what other updates have they pushed through? I guess there really could have been an update effecting home screen rotation cause I know that worked when I first got the phone, but until now I was thinking it was an app messing with it. Same thing goes with a lot of people mentioning copy/paste no longer works as it first did. You were able to long press anywhere and get a select text menu. That is no longer happening.

Anyways, just my 2?

R

Roy Aguilera

LOL. I highly doubt they made updates that would make your phone worse. This was a welcome update.

zyxwvu44

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
i didnt have too many problems focusing on mine, but it seems to still work fine, so whatever. seems to take a little bit better pics indoors now

Tennessee

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just got this of Crackberry, by Cerial Killer:

So it appears this is what transpired. I was pretty skeptical of a "silent update" No idea how they could flash the firmware without an install/notification (not saying it NOT possible but don't understand how)

I got this off of Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid

Explains the 11th push for the update maybe?

So glad I left BB. If this was a RIM issue we'd be waiting for months : )

Nope. Google’s Dan Morrill explained that the camera issues have been pinned down to a date-related bug:

There’s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver’s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it’ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.
The 17th is the start of a new “works correctly” cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.

isleshocky77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Nope. Google’s Dan Morrill explained that the camera issues have been pinned down to a date-related bug:

There’s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver’s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it’ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.
The 17th is the start of a new “works correctly” cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.

As much as this sounds weird; this actually makes more sense. Thanks for this information.

By the way, did anyone just immediately think of the issues with the Zune for one night?

Last edited:

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
But, I don't like the idea of a silent secret update. There should be some level of user interaction or at least an option to have user interaction when it comes to updates. What's the point of having the "System Updates - Check for system updates" item in "About Phone"? Also, what other updates have they pushed through? I guess there really could have been an update effecting home screen rotation cause I know that worked when I first got the phone, but until now I was thinking it was an app messing with it. Same thing goes with a lot of people mentioning copy/paste no longer works as it first did. You were able to long press anywhere and get a select text menu. That is no longer happening.
One of the key features of the Android OS is the way they do the updates. If you don't like it then go back to Blackberry or WiMo.

I would guess that the "check for system updates" would be for a major update that could take a while to install or would require a reboot of some sort. Minor updates will just get pushed through.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a Blackberry, you gotta love how fast Google Android works to correct a problem. No leaked OS, no hour long update...just silent and effective. Good job Google.

R

Roy Aguilera

Coming from a Blackberry, you gotta love how fast Google Android works to correct a problem. No leaked OS, no hour long update...just silent and effective. Good job Google.

Word. I am loving the way things work with Google.