Camera settings

Robert Jordan1

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Are there settings to make the landscape image full screen? I always get black bars on the left and right of the image when in landscape. Are there camera apps better than the stock camera ones that offer portrait and landscape settings?
Thanks.

Robert Jordan1

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Leo. The phone cam does take a pic in landscape, but it still has the black bars on the left and right. On a side note, does your screen rotation, when ticked to rotate, actually rotate? Mine doesn't since KK update.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, rotate still works fine.

Check your resolution settings. Not all of them show up as full screen. I'm using 2048x1152, 2 meg (16:9) and I get full screen no bars. 8 meg and 13 meg are 4:3 and won't show up without bars

Robert Jordan1

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Again thanks Leo. I have tried the first three options inside the resolution settings, but all of them still include the bars. The portrait view of a pic is great, no bars. In landscape it fails.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Are you taking the picture in landscape? If you take a portrait pic and rotate your phone to landscape (or vise versa) you will get bars.

Robert Jordan1

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
When I pic in portrait, the image is full screen. When I pic in landscape, the image has the crazy bars, the image is between the bars. The portrait is great but the landscape result is a fail. There must be a setting other than resolution that is making the image get squeezed?

Robert Jordan1

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
OK, I replicated what you suggested, and once I pic in portrait and then switch the cam to landscape it indeed squeezes the image. Or, vice versa, if I landscape a pic and switch to portrait it is squeezed. So that is new for me, and your suggestion seems to have neutralized this crazy.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
When I switch between 16:9 and 4:3 I see the picture shrink in both portrait and landscape. There are bars on the top and bottom in portrait and left and right in landscape. The pic size doesn't change when you rotate the phone, the resolution determines the size of the picture on the fixed 16:9 (1080x1920) screen on the phone.

Robert Jordan1

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, I learned a couple things about the S4 that I did not know yesterday. First, the stock cam app in the phone is programmed such that if a pic is done in portrait, it is stored in gallery full image, but if turned into landscape mode, it is reduced in size with the black bars squeezing the image smaller. This is reversed if the original pic is done in landscape, is stored in gallery full size but if turned to portrait the image is reduced in size. Second, if I want to send the pic via MMS using the Verizon message app, it is programmed such that if you want to send it as landscape, the To box doesn't auto load the contact list from the first name typed. One needs to open the contact list from the red box icon in the top right. If a MMS is chosen using portrait mode, the To box lights up with the contact name list quickly. I called Verizon and was told that both features are part of the phone's software, that it was a quirky feature, and it stumped the tech since they hadn't ever replicated the procedures. Leo G, thank you for helping me with the questions I had last night, it got me started on learning the cam features better. I would appreciate anyone who uses a Playstore app alternative to the gallery app, especially if the app offers features that are improved from the ones I have described here.