Can anyone here please confirm whether this used G3 is in good condition?

vziera8

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
So I've just got this used G3 for about half the retail price with half a year warranty time remaining.
Specs: 16GB Storage, 2GB RAM, OS upped to Android 5.0 Lolipop
After spending some time playing around with the unit without a sim card, I came across some less fun facts about this G3 which are as following:
1. The unit gets warm/hot pretty easily under normal use, an app called CPUZ detects that some temps would go up to 70*celcius.
2. Battery drains a bit to fast under normal use.
3. Sometimes brightness can't be set past 90 with a warning message saying something like "brightness can't go 100% due high temp" popping out.
4. Camera would sometimes crash and render unusable before the system is restarted.
5. It's either I didn't know how to properly use the camera (but I believe I did cause I used it the way people demonstrate it over the internet) or the autofocus no longer works the way it should as it always fails to freeze moving objects during a capture. Not to mention grainy in low light.
6. When brightness is set to Auto, the screen would turn way to dim. It seems as though it's nothing like an ambient light sensor because the brightness won't turn brighter nor dimmer in any light situations.
7. There are some seemingly minor scratches on the laser and the camera, I would like to know if they affect some performance.

That's it for now, everything else seems to be in great condition. Do you guys think I should use the remaining official warranty time to RMA it while still can?

Thank you for reading! :)

shel692

May 10, 2011
Visit site
That's more of a personal preference. Would I do it, I'd have done it already :) Weigh in any out of pocket costs and also if that takes you one short for a RMA or Exchange and you share a plan.

Last edited:

vziera8

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
That's more of a personal preference. Would I do it, I'd have done it already :) Weigh in any out of pocket costs and also if that takes you one short for a RMA or Exchange and you share a plan.
I'd like to know which are normal and which are not first before deciding to claim the warranty so I might be able to tell if the replacement unit retains certain defects.

2gbs. of ram? Is it an international model?
Yes, it's the D855

Angry_Mushroom

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
The heating and camera crash doesn't seem to be normal even in a used device. I'd try doing a reset on the phone, and if that fails, I'd look into an warranty repair.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
1) I experience this if I am gaming outside on a hot sunny day with the brightness up. Not really an issue since at 90% brightness it's still easy to see the screen. I've heard others say this happens to theirs too.

6) After setting it to auto, are you then adjusting the brightness manually to your desired brightness for the current ambient lighting? You should. That creates the baseline for the auto dimming. If you turn on auto brightness in a bright room and your brightness slider is set really low your screen will always be very dim.

Last edited:

vziera8

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
1) I experience this if I am gaming outside on a hot sunny day with the brightness up. Not really an issue since at 90% brightness it's still easy to see the screen. I've heard others say this happens to theirs too.

6) After setting it to auto, are you then adjusting the brightness manually to your desired brightness for the current ambient lighting? You should. That creates the baseline for the auto dimming. If you turn on auto brightness in a bright room and your brightness slider is set really low your screen will always be very dim.

Thank you for the valuable information!

vziera8

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Brought my G3 to LG Cust Service and the LG guy said that the high temp is normal(my G3's idle temp is around 55-60 Celsius even after factory reset) and today I just got contacted by the LG guy again telling me that he already reviewed my G3 by comparing it with another G3 of same model at his office, he told me that G3 are that hot, he wanted me to come and see for myself.

Could it be because the other G3 he uses to compare my G3 with was of the same bad batch? because many reviews of G3 on the net seem to be very positive and there are barely any mentioning about high temp

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That appears to be a lot warmer than mine. I'm using a Verizon G3, and my phone normally runs between 30C and 35C. The warmest I've seen is 42C when I really push the phone.

You mention that your battery drains quickly as well. It's a good bet that whatever is running and draining your battery is making the phone hot. Someone suggested a few weeks ago that you do a reset on your phone. That could fix it for you if you have a software issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001