Can ANYONE tell me what this icon is? This Can NOT be good...

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
Bug Pic 1.jpg

Every time I restart my phone, this guy shows up on it. It's very elusive too, because you can't take a direct screen shot of it, as it disappears from the screen before you can use your shortcut keys to do so.

No one seems to be able to tell me why I am the ONLY person I can find with it on here. It should be noted, that my partner has the same phone, same updates, everything EXCEPT the color is identical, and he does NOT have this on his phone.

I'd love any info you could bring to the table.

Thanks in advance.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Go to settings - notifications - advanced and see what's listed in the Notification history.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's the Android S (i.e., Android 12) icon. It usually shows up after a system update (while still on 12), and often represents the phone finishing the update (perhaps optimizing apps). Although I'm not sure why this should show up every time you restart, unless the phone keeps optimizing apps for some reason.

Try wiping the system cache partition: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-5g-sd865/wipe-cache/

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
I think it's also worth mentioning guys, I have done a hard system reset, and the thing remaeins. By hard reset, I mean I've gone into the bootloader, and cleared the cache and factory reset the device. I've loaded the software which is used to load the packets necessary to reflash the original stock software, performed at an asurion authorized location. Yeah, the demon remains. I want it GONE!

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
@mustang7757 - Very good, so you would be the first. But you also said said that I "won't get any notifications until I open my device." Is this because I have the phone locked? Then, in theory, If I simply remove the lock, and allow the phone to be in "online" mode from the start, would that then get this thing to go away? I have VERY good reason to believe this is WAY more than just a notification about messages. It's not common. Not a single person at 4 verizon stores ever heard of or saw it. Even Samsung themselves have said they aren't sure why that's showing up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757 - Very good, so you would be the first. But you also said said that I "won't get any notifications until I open my device." Is this because I have the phone locked? Then, in theory, If I simply remove the lock, and allow the phone to be in "online" mode from the start, would that then get this thing to go away? I have VERY good reason to believe this is WAY more than just a notification about messages. It's not common. Not a single person at 4 verizon stores ever heard of or saw it. Even Samsung themselves have said they aren't sure why that's showing up.
Most those sales rep are clueless to those things even Samsung reps . Remove any screen lock it will still pop up but disappear and won't stay constant like with Lock screen.

Edit: most those sales reps don't even own a Samsung

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well if it makes you feel any better...

Lock Screens from my:

S22 Ultra
Note 20 Ultra
Tab s8 Ultra
Tab s6

I'd go get my Husband's s22 Ultra & Tab s7 but he's watching football & I'm not bothering him.

Just as @B. Diddy & @mustang7757 says, it's a system notification icon. It shows up on reboots, updates, optimization, USB notification of plugged in devices or USB charging, & much more. It's very normal & I'm astonished that no one you have asked has noticed it.

20220911_130908.jpg
20220911_133637.jpg
20220911_134643.jpg
20220911_134201_Gallery.jpg

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Most those sales rep are clueless to those things even Samsung reps . Remove any screen lock it will still pop up but disappear and won't stay constant like with Lock screen.

Edit: most those sales reps don't even own a Samsung

As an ex Verizon employee I can back up this claim, most sales reps are clueless idiots compared to our forum members. I know of Android Central because the website would come up as we would Google looking for answers. Lol

Also I get the same icon on my Note 20U after an update, was also happening every time my phone restarted from that annoying glitch Samsung devices have causing auto restarts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If you just rebooted the phone, you most likely have to enter your unlock PIN/password/pattern to finish the reboot and get to your homescreen (which will then allow notifications to come through on the lockscreen).

I'm guessing the reasons why you can't find anyone who has seen this are (a) most people don't reboot their phone on a regular basis (but instead just let the screen go to sleep), and (b) most people just don't pay much attention to these kinds of icons.

The bottom line is that this is not malicious nor suspicious. Just enjoy your phone!:)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
OH MY GOD! IT'S ON MY PHONE TOO!

Luckily I found a way to protect against things like this using the lock screen wallpaper.

Attachments

• 3223.jpg
    3223.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 21

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I figured it out -- that's a system notification that in its full form reads: "Phone restarted. Unlock your phone to get app notifications." You probably only see the icon because your lockscreen notifications are set to Icon Only instead of Details.

This is my Galaxy A32 5G running Android 12.

PXL_20220912_170721934.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The whole notification and the app that pushed it (System UI) can be seen in the Notification history, as I mentioned in my previous post.

Screenshot_20220912_142337.jpg