Can I JUST use fingerprint to unlock my phone?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Before my S8 got an update, it only required me to use password to unlock my phone after a reboot. I can deal with that. Now, it randomly ask me to use PW to unlock my phone whenever it feels like it 'for my security'. Thank you for concerning about my security, but no thanks! That's too much for me. I am seriously considering to remove my PW if it really goes down to that but before I do that: is there anyway I can just use fingerprint to unlock my phone instead of PW? How can I bypass this stupid PW requirement without removing it?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
My Pixel 2 and Nexus 6p both randomly ask for the PIN. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to it. Maybe it's a feature to help people remember their unlock PIN by forcing them to use it periodically? We certainly get enough of "I don't know my PIN" threads...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can't just use your fingerprint - the password or PIN being part of the fingerprint unlock is part of Android. (Some manufacturers may have changed that - some custom ROM developers may have too - but it's a security hole waiting to be fallen into. Fingerprints can be faked.)

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
You can't just use your fingerprint - the password or PIN being part of the fingerprint unlock is part of Android. (Some manufacturers may have changed that - some custom ROM developers may have too - but it's a security hole waiting to be fallen into. Fingerprints can be faked.)

This is ridiculous....I have been on android the whole alphabet. My last phone an S7 on nougat Never did this. My S8 when on nougat did not do this. It started after Oreo. I am now having to type a password in all kinds of situations instead of just using my fingerprint.

This is new behaviour and should be adjustable. Can I turn off my password then? Or go to a pattern?
I understand a password on a reboot as always but this can happen anytime. Using GPS, music, whatever.

Is there no way out of this? It seems like something "The other" phone OS would do.

BJB1

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's due to the number of phones being stolen, and the fact that if someone can lift your fingerprint off anything (like a handrail, a supermarket checkout table - anything), they can duplicate it well enough to unlock the phone. (Then delete your fingerprints and put in their own - unless, of course, they need your password first. It's for your protection.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty