Can I use after market Tempered Glass screen protector with Otterbox Defender series on Galaxy S8?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have searched for the answer to this question everywhere and no one seems to know!

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S8, and already have a tempered glass screen protector that I am ready to put on the device. I want an Otterbox Defender series case for my phone as well, but have read mixed reviews on whether or not the tempered glass screen protector "works" with the Otterbox Defender series for the S8 (Otterbox encourages you to buy an Otterbox Alpha Glass Series screen protector).

I don't want to have to buy the expensive Alpha Glass protector. Is a tempered glass screen protector compatible with the Otterbox Defender series case for Samsung Galaxy S8? If not, what is the reasoning for this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox charges more than the cheap Chinese companies, that's the only reason. But I wouldn't try using the Otterbox as-is unless the protector says "works with Otterbox" or something similar. (I had AT&T put a screen protector on a phone that was in an Otterbox, then tear it off trying to get the Otterbox to sit properly.) The best bet is an Otterbox - and no screen protector. The only things a glass protector does are protect against scratching and rubbing and, if you drop the phone screen down and you're lucky, the protector will break and the screen won't. But with an Otterbox, dropping the phone screen-down already protects the screen - the case comes up above the screen and keeps it from hitting the ground. (I practice what I preach - all my phones have been in Otterboxes and, aside from one little one I used to carry about 6 years ago that had a plastic screen protector, none of them have had protectors. And I didn't just drop one of my Note 3s, I lobbed it at a wall by catching the wireless charger cable with my elbow. No problem.)