can it handle this?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Best way to find out wouold be to get test video and try it. I don't know if anyone has done it yet. The best I have tested was the 4k trailer from TimeScapes but it was just a 2560x1440 video. Not sure how good of a test that is for you though.

Just curious. Why are you asking about 3076p video anyways?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
4K UHD video play test on Onda V972 (Allwinner A31 CPU, quad-core ARM Cortex A7) - YouTube

Seems to have a problem decoding some 4k videos. It is the tablet on the right.

I have a slight issue with that video. Do you have the source link for a article or something it was connected with.

They don't expalin anything about the videos. They also don't explain anything about weather they are using hardware accelleration or if the video's are being software decoded. The nexus 10 plays back the timescape demo video like butter. I am certainly not saying it isn't right. I am actually very impressed with the Onda in the video. The Allwinner SOC in it actually states it supports 3840x1080@30fps 3D encoding playback. That is pretty awesome

But the playback software and could be significant. And wasn't the same each time. I could swear I saw MX Player at one point on the nexus 10. It doesn't make it better but if the Nexus 10 doesn't have GPU accellerated playback and fell back to software there is no chance of playing back any of those High resolution videos. We really need details about the video, codecs used, and how they were encoded to really understand if this is a profiile issue with the video, or if it is something with the tablet.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a slight issue with that video. Do you have the source link for a article or something it was connected with.

They don't expalin anything about the videos. They also don't explain anything about weather they are using hardware accelleration or if the video's are being software decoded. The nexus 10 plays back the timescape demo video like butter. I am certainly not saying it isn't right. I am actually very impressed with the Onda in the video. The Allwinner SOC in it actually states it supports 3840x1080@30fps 3D encoding playback. That is pretty awesome

But the playback software and could be significant. And wasn't the same each time. I could swear I saw MX Player at one point on the nexus 10. It doesn't make it better but if the Nexus 10 doesn't have GPU accellerated playback and fell back to software there is no chance of playing back any of those High resolution videos. We really need details about the video, codecs used, and how they were encoded to really understand if this is a profiile issue with the video, or if it is something with the tablet.

Unfortunately when I googled this, I found a small blurb about the other tablet and this video about playback. They didn't go into the details you asked, and I wish they did.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There is another issue with this thread though. What does it matter if it can play back 3084x1080 video. The capacity needed to play back that content in any meaningful manner just isn't available. We would need at least a few hundred GB of storage to make that functionality worth it. Most decently encoded 1080P videos are around 5-10GB I can't imagine what the capacity requirements would be for something at 4k resolution. All I do know for sure is that the N10 wouldn't be able to store it.

The only possible solution then might be a external Wifi connected hard drive. Then you have the issue with Wifi bandwidth which again from what I know isn't sufficient. 802.11ac may have changed that, but I know I wouldn't trust N with 1080p video much less 4k.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
There is another issue with this thread though. What does it matter if it can play back 3084x1080 video. The capacity needed to play back that content in any meaningful manner just isn't available. We would need at least a few hundred GB of storage to make that functionality worth it. Most decently encoded 1080P videos are around 5-10GB I can't imagine what the capacity requirements would be for something at 4k resolution. All I do know for sure is that the N10 wouldn't be able to store it.

The only possible solution then might be a external Wifi connected hard drive. Then you have the issue with Wifi bandwidth which again from what I know isn't sufficient. 802.11ac may have changed that, but I know I wouldn't trust N with 1080p video much less 4k.

I have had very little issues streaming 1080p content over a N network for years. Within my network or from outside sources. Part of the problem is people invest in router without knowing what they are getting. Also employees of most retailers have no clue how to advise a customer. I had friend complaining about streaming on their wireless network the other day and I had told them not to get a basic N150 router and that is exactly what they purchase. Because it was 29 dollars at Target.

Also on 4k video, H.265 should solve the problem. Video Bandwidth is between 20-25mbps. A decent N router will give that much in consistent throughput.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Quality of the router can make a difference but is far from the only consideration. Wifi polution in your area that creates interference, wither your router runs wifi at 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz or both, distance from the router, other possible obstacles that create interference. I wouldn't say that N can't do it, the problem is it's ability to sustain a good enough connection to do that playback all the time. I actually tested this out and in my house it would work part of the time but there were to many occasions that signial polution would cause the signal to drop to much and I would start to get stuttering. I decided to just be done with it and ran Cat6 RJ45 to my outer room to ensure the throughput needed. You can't beat a hard wire at 1Gbps, well unless you go fiber.

20-25mbps is still to much when it comes to the storage required for the content. That bitrate is pretty much on par with the what Blu-Ray uses today. I also question the point of 4k content at 20-25mbps. Maybe the next gen codec will be able to do it, but I have to question quality. I can take a Blu-Ray with 1080p content and encode it down to 3mbps, but it looks horrible. You get better picture quality and action sceans buy encoding at a lower resolution with the same bitrate.

I am really just saying for this to really apply here we need allot more storage, and as you suggested probably support for atleast that new codec in hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74