Can you change this notification bar behavior?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Awesome one of them should be good

Yeah, I will download and check it out tomorrow. I started reading the reviews in the Samsung store but that was crazy so I stopped. Almost all either 5 star or one star. At first I thought how could people be so oppositely opinionated on it? But then I started to notice that many, many of the one stars were from people who previously loved some specific part of the app and were just mad because either something changed or an update took it away for some reason. Very few people who were saying simply that it was a bad app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I will download and check it out tomorrow. I started reading the reviews in the Samsung store but that was crazy so I stopped. Almost all either 5 star or one star. At first I thought how could people be so oppositely opinionated on it? But then I started to notice that many, many of the one stars were from people who previously loved some specific part of the app and were just mad because either something changed or an update took it away for some reason. Very few people who were saying simply that it was a bad app.
SAMSUNG Good Lock app was one of the best things to come to Samsung in customizing your your device especially stock , Every Samsung user should have this downloaded in my opinion from the start .

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
To add to the mystery over this, here is something else from today. I was talking to someone else who has a two year old Samsung phone, (I forgot the exact model). On his phone the notifications were working in yet another, 3rd fashion. On his list of notifications, the top one on the list was always expanded and the following notifications under that were not. When he dismissed the top, expanded notification, then the next one on the list became the top one and expanded automatically. He said that is how his phone worked, he had not changed any setting.

That behavior is not quite what I had on my old Pixel, but it would be better than the way my S22 Ultra does it with all notifications collapsed unless you specifically click the drop-down arrow on each one.

There is a 4th way that was mentioned somewhere also where the notifications were not expanded by default but showed 3 lines so you see more about the notification. That would be somewhat better also. I have just started playing with the Good Lock app. Not sure yet it will be able to do anything about this issue, but it does have a lot of other features.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I got through the Good Lock app and although there are many great things I have setup or changed using it, there does not seem to be any functionality to change the behavior of the notifications as described in this thread. Until and unless someone posts an insight into how this might be controlled, I guess it will remain a mystery why it works differently for different phones and/or versions of Android.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
To add to the mystery over this, here is something else from today. I was talking to someone else who has a two year old Samsung phone, (I forgot the exact model). On his phone the notifications were working in yet another, 3rd fashion. On his list of notifications, the top one on the list was always expanded and the following notifications under that were not. When he dismissed the top, expanded notification, then the next one on the list became the top one and expanded automatically. He said that is how his phone worked, he had not changed any setting.

That behavior is not quite what I had on my old Pixel, but it would be better than the way my S22 Ultra does it with all notifications collapsed unless you specifically click the drop-down arrow on each one.

There is a 4th way that was mentioned somewhere also where the notifications were not expanded by default but showed 3 lines so you see more about the notification. That would be somewhat better also. I have just started playing with the Good Lock app. Not sure yet it will be able to do anything about this issue, but it does have a lot of other features.

That's how notifications work on my pixel 6 (12L beta).

I did look through good lock before I first replied, and couldn't find anything either.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I get photos in my notifications drop down for my Ring app cameras. I had to set that feature in the settings in the Ring app, not the phone settings, so maybe there's a setting in your camera app. In Ring it's called Rich Notifications and I have to turn it on for each camera.
853f690771ef384260837e9285c4d736.jpg

Last edited:

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
And this is what I get when I get first the pop-up notification with the choices to reply, snooze, delete. Once the pop-up goes away then I have to use the arrow in the drop down to see those choices again. Is this what you mean?
e43f282c582be9a84f11cd2064950a72.jpg

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
And this is what I get when I get first the pop-up notification with the choices to reply, snooze, delete. Once the pop-up goes away then I have to use the arrow in the drop down to see those choices again. Is this what you mean?
e43f282c582be9a84f11cd2064950a72.jpg

I have the Kuna camera and there are no settings like that in the app. But as to the photo, it is there in my notification, I just have to perform the 2nd step of tapping the dropdown to see it. On my Pixel, I do not.

I am talking about when you pull down the notification area from the top of my S22. On my old Pixel, I see as you do with the options to Reply, etc. On my S22, I cannot see those options unless I tap the dropdown icon.

Do you have an S22?

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I have the Kuna camera and there are no settings like that in the app. But as to the photo, it is there in my notification, I just have to perform the 2nd step of tapping the dropdown to see it. On my Pixel, I do not.

I am talking about when you pull down the notification area from the top of my S22. On my old Pixel, I see as you do with the options to Reply, etc. On my S22, I cannot see those options unless I tap the dropdown icon.

Do you have an S22?

Yes, I have an S22 Ultra. But with the email notifications, I also don't see the reply, etc. unless I hit the dropdown arrow. My photo where you can see the reply, etc. is when the notification first comes in and pops up. So mine is behaving the same as yours.

The camera notifications do show that larger photo just by pulling down the notifications without pressing the dropdown arrow, so maybe it depends on the app?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I checked my old Pixel software ad behavior closely and it is running Android version 11 with a last security update from Oct. 2020. And the way notifications are working on that phone now is like this. The top notification is always displayed in full. If I swipe away that top notification, then the next one on the list pops to the top and opens, (drops down). And so on. My Kuna notifications come through the same way. If at the top of the list, fully visible and expanded. If below the top, then compacted and not visible unless you tap the drop down. But just like other notifications, if you have two Kuna camera photo notifications, the top one is open and the next one is not until you swipe away the top one and the one underneath becomes the top and expands. I would be happy if I could get my S22 to work like that even if it is not exactly as I was remembering and describing in my O.P.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay