Cannot install custom rom please help

horse482

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I am new to Android phones and was given a HTC Aria and have successfully rooted the phone, but now I am trying to install a custom rom. I have tried a couple of different roms and tried multiple times to install them and cannot make it work. What am I missing? I have down loaded the files, unzipped them on my SD card, wiped all info and selected the file for install when my phone reboots it is just like a new phone but still running 2.1. Will someone please help me. Also ever since trying my phone will just reboot while sitting there. Thanks in advance for you help with this.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I am new to Android phones and was given a HTC Aria and have successfully rooted the phone, but now I am trying to install a custom rom. I have tried a couple of different roms and tried multiple times to install them and cannot make it work. What am I missing? I have down loaded the files, unzipped them on my SD card, wiped all info and selected the file for install when my phone reboots it is just like a new phone but still running 2.1. Will someone please help me. Also ever since trying my phone will just reboot while sitting there. Thanks in advance for you help with this.

You don't unzip....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: horse482

Revenant Ghost

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
After rooting the phone, have you flashed a custom recovery? If not, do some Googling or search this site to see how to flash one. Also you DON'T unzip the files of the ROMs, leave them as they are and install them from the recovery. Make sure you wipe the cache and dalvik from recovery first though.

horse482

May 28, 2012
Visit site
How do I stop the phone from rebooting by itself? Also I'm keep getting an error E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad). I have tried to get to it manually also. What does a flashed custom recovery do?

Last edited:

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I did run this tool unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool

After installing the cwm you download the .zip to root of SD card. Then from cwm you clear cache and dalvik caches . (A full wipe is preferred tho) the from the cwm menu you select choose zip from SD card. Flash the zip you want. (Never unzip the folder) after it flashes select reboot phone from the cwm menu. After that enjoy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running LiquidSmooth 1.4 via Tapatalk.

Revenant Ghost

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried to pull your battery to stop the boot loop? Also the purpose of a custom recovery is to properly install a custom ROM to your phone. It also has several other uses, such as making nandroid backups to restore your phone in case a similar situation you're having is happening and so on.

horse482

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I got it working. You guys are great, thanks for all of your help. I installed Liberated 2.2 and so far so good. It still wants to reboot itself every once in a while, I can be in the middle of doing something and it will reboot. How do I fix that problem.

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I got it working. You guys are great, thanks for all of your help. I installed Liberated 2.2 and so far so good. It still wants to reboot itself every once in a while, I can be in the middle of doing something and it will reboot. How do I fix that problem.

Just means your phone can't keep up so it reboots itself.

horse482

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Just means your phone can't keep up so it reboots itself.

What can I do to stop it from doing that. It is just sitting on the desk next to me and,will reboot. It has done it 4 or 5 times in the last 20 min. Is it something I have done by rooting and loading a custom Rom?

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Central Forums

Revenant Ghost

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site

If it's overclocked, it may be turned up too high.