Cannot Upgrade to ICS via OTA or LG Tool

mel2000

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Recently purchased a refurbished LG Spectrum with Android 2.3.5.
OTA in Settings menu won't update due to network being unavailable (no mobile account and no SIM card yet), although I have WiFi.

LG Mobile Support Tool won't let me update because it wants me to use the the Verizon Update Assistant tool, which I am not prompted for since I don't have a Verizon account. No way to override.

Will I be able to upgrade via OTA once I have an account with a Verizon reseller? Is there another way I can manually upgrade to ICS 4.0.4 without the Verizon or LG upgrade tools?

TBH, I'd prefer to install a recovery (TWRP preferred) and a rooted stock 4.0.4 ROM. Hopefully, everything on the phone will still work. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

mel2000

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant (SUA) tool did not previously popup on my PC because I had disabled autoruns. I was able to successfully upgrade to 4.0.4 by setting my USB connectivity to Modem mode. The SUA showed up as a CD icon in Windows Explorer and I was able to launch it by double-clicking the bootstrap.exe file. I'm ready to root ICS now.