Can't download Microsof "Your Phone Companion"

Roger Blair

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
I just received a ZTE Quest phone. I'm trying to tether (if that's the right word) it to my Windows laptop. When I run the laptop program, it gives me an address where I can download the Android component. When I try the download, the page says "Installed," but I can't find it in my app drawer, so I suspect that it hasn't installed. How do I get it to download?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just received a ZTE Quest phone. I'm trying to tether (if that's the right word) it to my Windows laptop. When I run the laptop program, it gives me an address where I can download the Android component. When I try the download, the page says "Installed," but I can't find it in my app drawer, so I suspect that it hasn't installed. How do I get it to download?
I'm not sure how it works on other phones. I have it on my Samsung, but Samsung is actually working with Microsoft to integrate the services.

However, it doesn't show up as an app on my phone either. It's a service that I have to go though Settings to get to. It's called "Link to Windows", and you sign in with a Microsoft account so that "Your Phone" on the PC, signed in with the same account, can connect to it.

Roger Blair

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
joeldf, the app's installed, but it doesn't display my current phone--only my previous one. How do I make the app recognize the phone it's running on?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The more I look, it seems that "Your Phone" only supports Samsung phones.

Everywhere I look, they say it's for "your Android device" , but when I look up supported devices, it's s long list of only Samsung phones and MS's own Surface Duo.

Was your last device a Samsung?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm at a loss. Sorry I can't be more help.

Someone around here must know more about it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with mustang7757 -- Windows has gone through a number of significant updates over the past couple of years, so what worked on your old phone is likely pretty different now.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't download Microsof "Your Phone Companion"

@Roger Blair ,

I looked up a bit more, and the "Your Phone Companion - Link to Windows" app is supposed to be for any phone. What the Play Store says is that the Surface Duo and Samsung phones already have it.

Strange that you don't see it in the Play Store.

Have you looked to see if it was installed from your earlier attempt by checking the App list in Settings? It might just be called "Link to Windows Service" .

Apparently the only to access it, if it did install, is to use the pulldown quick settings. There should be a "Link to Windows" button.

That's all I got.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

@Roger Blair ,

I looked up a bit more, and the "Your Phone Companion - Link to Windows" app is supposed to be for any phone. What the Play Store says is that the Surface Duo and Samsung phones already have it.

Strange that you don't see it in the Play Store.

Have you looked to see if it was installed from your earlier attempt by checking the App list in Settings? It might just be called "Link to Windows Service" .

Apparently the only to access it, if it did install, is to use the pulldown quick settings. There should be a "Link to Windows" button.

That's all I got.
Have you seen my screen shot?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Have you seen my screen shot?
I did. I found that same list and mentioned it earlier. But MS has online information about how to use it for any android phone, so it's a bit confusing. It actually says it's different for the Surface Duo and Samsung phones as the service is installed with the OS.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I did. I found that same list and mentioned it earlier. But MS has online information about how to use it for any android phone, so it's a bit confusing. It actually says it's different for the Surface Duo and Samsung phones as the service is installed with the OS.
I didn't see MS online just was reading what was in play store under it's description

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma