Can't get phone to ring on incoming calls

bmaz121

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My One Plus One with AOSP AEX 5.5 Oreo 8.1 am have this problem too. Some of you may remember Volume Locker app that was available on Play but since gone as it is not supported any more. Hope some one would take the challenge. Anyway, I noticed I get a notification of the call but no ring but, the Volume Locker let's me know that my Volume has changed and do I want to save it? I hit yes and it rings. Now I noticed that it only happens on advertising calls. So, my guess is that some phone service out there is offering to ring your phone and in order to overcome your best efforts to block these number and tries to change your system settings so the sonofa.... gets to bother you. It is my guess that Google the Sell, sell, sell company designed it that way to help these companies bother you. So, the call itself is trying to modify the system and is burping with this new technology. We need a hacker to write an app to hack the call and remove the ability to modify the system volume type app. Just a guess.

Daniel Rhee

Oct 6, 2018
Visit site
This worked for me.

For some reason my phone switched on the "Do not disturb" mode. Turn it off and the ringer will start working again. I was missing a bunch of calls but seems all good now. If you go to settings and go to "Sound", you'll find the "Do not Disturb" feature. Just turn it off. I even switched the setting to only receive people on my contact list. Hopefully no more spammers!! Try this before rebooting or any type of reset. I love my Pixel 2XL again!!! Good luck!

Subh737

Jan 11, 2019
Visit site
I'm using android 8.1 and for the life of me I can't get my phone to ring on incoming calls. I have a tone set and the volume is maxed but no ring tone plays when a call is received. When I look at the notification channels for incoming calls on the phone app the notification sound is set to "none" and the option is greyed out so it can't be changed. Has anyone seen this or know how to change it?

Hey all. Faced a similar problem today with my Pixel 2XL. Resolved in half an hour. So far so good with the phone. I had spent a lot of time reading all the posts here and trying all things everyone mentioned here. Do check the following:
1. Does the loudspeaker work during calls?
2. If you are having music stored in the phone or even videos, do you get the same volume if played on the loudspeaker? Play at max vol.
3. Check your alarm clock volume if it is working.
4. Rest all issues same as the forum has been discussing.

If above 1, 2 & 3 answers are NO, then its a problem with a small coil, hardly identified by naked eyes, but quite clear with a magnifying glass. This coil can go off in case of
a) connecting the phone via cable to the car, if the cable is not a certified quality
b) connecting cabled headphones, again using of local headphones with cheap quality cable
c) in case of any accidental fall.

I took my phone to a nearby mobile service centre, just 5 mins from my place. He immediately opened the case and repaired. The above details told to me by the mechanic who did it.

Also additional information was :
Tone of the ring / notification
Alarm clock tone
Loudspeaker
Are three things whose output is from the lower speakers and this coil getting short due some reason disconnects the speaker.

Phone music or videos is through both top and bottom speakers, so phone music can be heard, but at a lower volume.

My phone now working fine. Sharing this information as I learnt from the mechanic.

Hope it helps you all. It might just not be a bug issue, maybe just be a bugging situation.

Last edited:

ajosephcohen

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm using android 8.1 and for the life of me I can't get my phone to ring on incoming calls. I have a tone set and the volume is maxed but no ring tone plays when a call is received. When I look at the notification channels for incoming calls on the phone app the notification sound is set to "none" and the option is greyed out so it can't be changed. Has anyone seen this or know how to change it?

I just tried this workaround and hope it helps. For background my issue only happens if I have bluetooth connected. From the sounds menu I saw that all media was coming to bluetooth (which is what I want) but I think ringtones were also being treated as media.

So to "fix" I changed the media output to phone and restarted device. Bluetooth again was default media choice but now my ringtones come via my handset. This seems to have fixed the issue, for now anyways.

BTW - What a pain to have to figure out and research a workaround to something that should not be an issue. Phones are supposed to ring unless we choose to silence them. Kind of a basic thing.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I just tried this workaround and hope it helps. For background my issue only happens if I have bluetooth connected. From the sounds menu I saw that all media was coming to bluetooth (which is what I want) but I think ringtones were also being treated as media.

So to "fix" I changed the media output to phone and restarted device. Bluetooth again was default media choice but now my ringtones come via my handset. This seems to have fixed the issue, for now anyways.

BTW - What a pain to have to figure out and research a workaround to something that should not be an issue. Phones are supposed to ring unless we choose to silence them. Kind of a basic thing.

Nothing's basic about Android anymore..... and they're just overcomplicating it more with every new version. I think they're losing their way making changes just for the sake of change :-(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail