Can't hear caller and caller can't hear me unless I put on speaker phone

birdone

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't matter 10 months later and there doing the same thing. Straight out of the box new for $750 you also can have one. I wonder if I was charged extra for that

grmaeva

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I did the paperclip in the small hole at the bottom of the phone, but I used a needle. Viola! My phone is working correctly now!!! Thank you for this forum!!!! :)

Pete LeRay

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I bought a whole new Samsung Galaxy s5 on Friday when it first came out. When I have tried calling with it it does not work unless I put it on speaker phone. No one can hear me and I can't hear them unless I switch. Is there any way I can resolve this issue or is it a problem with the phone and I should take it back to the store I bought it at, as it is completely new?

I have a galaxy S4 and suddenly any caller cannot hear me and I cannot hear them. Totally dead. Speaker phone and headphones DO NOT work either. I hope its something I can fix?

Last edited:

TexasTester

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Just for grins check and see if your phone is set to wifi calling I took my wifes Note 3 off of that mode and it raised the volume instantly.

Erick Morris

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I found fix that might work for some.

I have a Note 3 that would not allow me to here the caller or vice versa not even if I used speaker phone, only Bluetooth calls worked. I tried most of the suggested fixes on this forum to no avail, then I called Verizon and went through some reset procedures that didn't work, it wasn't until I was told to power the phone off and and remove the Sim card then put it back in did my problems disappear. the the Verizon tech sounded as surprised as me that removing the Sim card and putting it back in did the trick lol....anyway hopes it helps some

bbabq4

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I have same problem with Galaxy Note 4 phone - I have Verizon. None of the tips on this forum have yet solved the problem. I have to use speaker phone for the person I call to hear me.

RANGER 1983

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Leah,

All I can say is YAHTZEE!
After returning two BRAND NEW Note 4's to my local Verizon store...
And after clearly pointing out the issue to my capable friends at my Verizon store...
They replaced BOTH Note 4's with BRAND NEW phones since i have a corp account and have 30 days on any equipment.
Well the SAME ISSUE happened again this morning (about a week later and just like before) and I was freaking out!
I HAD tried all of the other "fixes" suggested by all of our kind friends here that posted their fixes or thoughts regarding this problem, but with ZERO results.
Then, prior to going back to Verizon one more time and dumping Samsung altogether, I Googled my issue one more time and found myself here with all of you.
After scrolling down past all of the kind suggestions which I had already attempted, and which had all failed, I found myself at your post.
So after reading down a bit, I grabbed a "staple", unfolded it partially, inserted it in the very small hole next to the charging port on the bottom of my phone and hoped for the best.

I quickly rang up my wife and like I said earlier... YAHTZEE!
She could once again hear me 5 x 5.

However that obviously poses some inevitable questions:
1. Why or how did the mic "semi" fail in the first place (semi meaning only while in used without headset or Bluetooth devise)?
2. Why and how does that particular "fix" actually fix it?
3. And how long will it last?

Looking forward to hearing from you all in this regard.
Especially Leah who saven me a Factory reboot, set up, bla bla bla.

Thanks again Leah,
RANGER

Jason Ochs

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
SOLVED: Not sure which suggestion solved it because I tried them all. The last two things I tried was pulling the battery and unclogging the microphone. I took a pin and lightly scraped inside every hole side-to-side. I didn't get much dust but it must have been enough. Phone is a Note 3. My voice comes over very clearly now. :)

SYMPTOMS:
  • Caller could not hear me.
  • Eventually caller could hear me mumble but nothing reconizeable.
  • I could hear myself speak just fine though the phone's speaker.
  • Speakerphone worked just fine.
  • I don't use any blue-tooth devices.