Can't install OTA JB to my Rooted Vzw Galaxy S3

droidrn

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

New to the rooting of Android phones so please bear with me.

I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 that I successfully rooted last week with Root Debug FS.

I've installed Superuser and confirmed root.

Used Link 2 SD to move apps to Ext 32gb SD card and SetCPU to overclock a bit.

Backed up with Titanium Pro.

Added a Sedio 3500mAh battery and back cover.

Very happy with these changes and without any problems except........

I have tried to update to JB from Verizon OTA but unable to complete.

Everything looks good when download starts with the little Droid dude standing upright with belly plate open and electrons wizzing around. At about 55% of download the Droid falls over backwards and a red triangle appears. A note pops up and states unable to complete download at which point the phone reboots itself.

(Used Triangle Away thinking it may be some type of counter issue but no difference. Counter was and is at "0".)

Phone reboots back to my rooted state as descibed above. No problems with factory ROM and no software issues. No "modified" messages either.

I would like to update to the OTA JB or CM's version but can't seem to find it listed for my phone.

Not sure if and how to unroot back to stock and if this will allow me to complete the OTA update of JB.

Since I've gone this far with my phone I thought the latest CM 10 variant would be good also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, DroidRN

droidrn

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Pat.
I suspected it was due to my root status. The link you provided seems to be geared towards the Nexus device which will be handy when I receive my Google Nexus 10 tablet. For my Vzw Galaxy S3 that is only rooted, would a factory reset allow me to reload including Jelly Bean? I routinely (every 2 days) backup with Titanium Pro to my Ext SD card and photos all backed up to laptop.

Thanks Glenn (DroidRN0

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No, a factory reset will not unroot your device. I would suggest reading in this forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii-rooting-roms-hacks/
and if you don't find an answer ask there. You probably do not need to unroot to apply the update, but it's very important you update ONLY with a Verizon GS3 specific version of 4.1.2. Following any instructions not specific you your phone could brick it beyond repair.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was able to hide root on my Stellar with OTA Rootkeeper when I went from ICS to JB.... seeing as the two phone ate very similar as far as OS and software layout (I used the SuperSU debugfs for the SIII to root it), that might work.

But I actually think it might be something else. You say you loaded Link2SD... that might be the cause. It messes around with partition tables and OS files. Do you have the custom unlock icon when you boot? I had it installed and configured, and the OTA failed.. I had to flash a stock ICS, which I rooted, before it worked. Now I think I might have been able to save our by backing out everything Link2SD did.

Sent from my SCH-I200

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak