Car Mode Annoyances

JinxDroid

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
A couple of gripes that I have with car mode... perhaps one of you guys could point me in the right direction to remedy them.

1. I wish I could disable security code unlock when in car mode (I realize that this is a security breach but I would like the ability none-the-less)

2. When listening to music and running navigation, the google nav voice prompts do not attenuate or pause the music like it did on my OG Evo.

3. When I am using Navigation... there doesn't appear to be an easy way to go back to the car mode homescreen (to change songs etc...) without exiting Nav... in other words, it's like Nav doesn't want to run in the background... if you hit the back button it wants to cancel your route.

Do these things bother anyone else or am I doing it wrong?

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
For #1 I have a kind of workaround you could do although I haven't ever had mine time out or lock when in car mode, if you download extended controls from the play store you could make a widget to disable screen off or lock screen and just use that before you open car mode. Not sure about #2, but for 3 if you press the home button when in car mode it appears to take you back to the initial car mode screen with music, and phone, nav, all that available. When I tested it just now I could jump between navigation and music without having either stop on me.

Reactions: instgator95

JinxDroid

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
if you press the home button when in car mode it appears to take you back to the initial car mode screen with music, and phone, nav, all that available. When I tested it just now I could jump between navigation and music without having either stop on me.

You're right... on my way home from work it did take me back... for some reason when I tried it earlier I would get the haptic feedback when I hit the home button but nothing would happen. I guess it was just a fluke.

As for the lock code... it's not a timeout issue. I just don't like having to do the unlock code when I put my phone in my truck - it's just a small annoyance (especially unlocking it in landscape mode) but it's not a big deal. I could probably just run my phone without security.

The biggest problem (and only legitimate one from my first post) is that google nav talks over the music without attenuating or pausing it. It really should drop the music volume while speaking. I believe it used to do that - not sure why they would have dropped that feature.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Oohh - and I'm being creative here - but how about a Tectile on your car doc that's programmed to disable your security pin, turn on bluetooth, etc - just a thought...

Jack

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Oohh - and I'm being creative here - but how about a Tectile on your car doc that's programmed to disable your security pin, turn on bluetooth, etc - just a thought...

Jack

I think the phone needs to be unlocked before it will read the NFC, so that would not work.

couragedragon

May 13, 2012
Visit site
2. When listening to music and running navigation, the google nav voice prompts do not attenuate or pause the music like it did on my OG Evo.

Weird, mine does silent/pause the music when the Nav talks. I am going through bluetooth though. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I think the phone needs to be unlocked before it will read the NFC, so that would not work.

Just throwing it out there, if you're someone that flashes ROMs or mods, there is a mod on XDA to get NFC working while display is off or on the lockscreen.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
CarHome Ultra will fix alot of these problems. Just a recommendation.
I'm definitely leaning towards this and my Soundgate m2 mount vs the Sprint car dock. The Sprint car dock is an option to the N/A OEM HTC dock but maybe HTC will sell one for this phone. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm thinking it should be possible to launch this app via an NFC Tag placed near or at my current phone holder....maybe?

Last edited:

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Weird, mine does silent/pause the music when the Nav talks. I am going through bluetooth though. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Same here, never realized it didn't do so over the headphone jack, seems odd. Car mode in general seems like more of a hassle than an aid to me, but that's probably because of my personal usage case...

I generally program where I wanna go and that's probably the last time I touch the phone until I get out of the car, I control music playback entirely from my Bluetooth kit's remote (or the car's own media controls if I'm in the family SUV).

I do like the car mount Sprint sells despite not really finding car mode very useful tho. The mount's relatively cheap compared to others, sturdy, and can be used in portrait or landscape. Just read the instructions and insert that extra foam spacer if you have a thin case, don't be oneof the dozen wankers in the car mount thread posting pics of a lopsided phone because you didn't read the one page manual! :p

Just throwing it out there, if you're someone that flashes ROMs or mods, there is a mod on XDA to get NFC working while display is off or on the lockscreen.

Got a link to that?

Last edited:

pjrake

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CarHome Ultra will fix alot of these problems. Just a recommendation.

Thanks.

Tried it, didn't like the layout too much :( The fact that HTC Car Dock is so integrated with the whole phone makes it a better experience, minus the music apps. Maybe I'll upload some of my music to the phone.

PJ

rockdrummersrock

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
You're right... on my way home from work it did take me back... for some reason when I tried it earlier I would get the haptic feedback when I hit the home button but nothing would happen. I guess it was just a fluke.

As for the lock code... it's not a timeout issue. I just don't like having to do the unlock code when I put my phone in my truck - it's just a small annoyance (especially unlocking it in landscape mode) but it's not a big deal. I could probably just run my phone without security.

The biggest problem (and only legitimate one from my first post) is that google nav talks over the music without attenuating or pausing it. It really should drop the music volume while speaking. I believe it used to do that - not sure why they would have dropped that feature.

If you've ever tried widgetsoid or a similar program (widgetsoid is just the one I use) theres literally a power option to disable your lock menu so as your about to hop in you could flick that tile. Granted you would have to remember to re-enable later, or you could always buy one of those new fangled sweet looking tectiles and stick one in your truck for just that reason as others have said.
(Samsung TecTiles)

JinxDroid

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just started using the Samsung BT3000 and the music does indeed pause over bluetooth. The problem now is that even with the music paused the Navigation volume is so low I can barely hear the directions being given.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neaseamy