BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I ordered some TPU cases off of Ebay a few days ago, should be here in about a week.

Imagine a case that's made partially of bendable silicon and hard rubber, but is VERY easy to get out of your pocket and doesn't collect dust. It's also very thin and doesn't add any bulkiness to the device.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Every case adds bulkiness. Some more than others. I ordered a couple different cases from the AC store. They should be here tomorrow. I'll try to post how they fit. Maybe with pics if you guys are lucky. :p

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Every case adds bulkiness. Some more than others. I ordered a couple different cases from the AC store. They should be here tomorrow. I'll try to post how they fit. Maybe with pics if you guys are lucky. :p

TPU cases add less bulkiness than any typical case found in a store.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Let me know if these cases scratch your phone -- I've never had good luck with those form fitting harder yet flexible shell cases. Very little bulk...good looks - but have scratched my previous phones.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Let me know if these cases scratch your phone -- I've never had good luck with those form fitting harder yet flexible shell cases. Very little bulk...good looks - but have scratched my previous phones.

Were your previous phones made out of metal? It takes a good beating to scratch this phone.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Were your previous phones made out of metal? It takes a good beating to scratch this phone.

No - more specifically I was referring to my previous BB Bold 9000. The bezel on that got scratched up (plastic) from numerous cases of similar style, and I was under the impression the bezel on this phone is plastic as well....and the color/texture (well, on the white version at least.. I know other colors have darker bezels) side by side with my old BB Bold resembles it exactly, so I fear the same thing happening. It wasn't from taking the old BB bold cover on and off repeatedly or anything like that, put it on once...left it, removed after like 40 days to clean out any dust that got under it and noticed scratches everywhere, in some cases the outer color/paint chipped off.

In fact, looking at my MT4G, on the left side just next to the screen, there is a hairline chip in the silver paint coating on the bezel..very difficult to notice, but I know this didn't come from me in any way...so I wonder about that bezel...

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
No - more specifically I was referring to my previous BB Bold 9000. The bezel on that got scratched up (plastic) from numerous cases of similar style, and I was under the impression the bezel on this phone is plastic as well....and the color/texture (well, on the white version at least.. I know other colors have darker bezels) side by side with my old BB Bold resembles it exactly, so I fear the same thing happening. It wasn't from taking the old BB bold cover on and off repeatedly or anything like that, put it on once...left it, removed after like 40 days to clean out any dust that got under it and noticed scratches everywhere, in some cases the outer color/paint chipped off.

In fact, looking at my MT4G, on the left side just next to the screen, there is a hairline chip in the silver paint coating on the bezel..very difficult to notice, but I know this didn't come from me in any way...so I wonder about that bezel...
Wow, that's kind of scary. I just bought a few TPU cases. :(

mcwuppy

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I had a Gel TPU case aswell for my blackberry bold 9700 and it didn't really offer protection. After a few months the case itself got dirty and my bb had very nasty crack on the front corners by the mute button and the left side of the bottom screen and I know I've only dropped the phone once or twice not that hard on the floor.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok I've had my cases (well only one is a real case) for about a week and a half. It's the HTC geli skin. It fits good, even better than the one they make for the EVO. It has cut outs for the FFC and sensors, and adequately protects the camera. It makes the power button more difficult to use, but you can always unlock it with the trackpad. Overall I'm satisfied (I'm a bigger fan of hard cases honestly).

I also got a Golla bag, but I can't remember which one right now. The one I got is a really tight fit. Not so much that I worry about the phone, but tight enough that you'll miss a phone call trying to remove it. Oh, and it doesn't fit with a case on.

The one I'm happiest with is the Mobi pouch. It's big, but the phone will fit in it with the skin on. It's actually a pretty good fit with the skin. My favorite combo so far is the skin and Mobi pocket pouch.

The SPE screen guards are a mixed bag. I love anti-glare screen guards, and in that respect these don't disappoint. BUT I can't get the bottom edge to lay down all the way. I even tried another one thinking I messed it up somehow. It just won't lay down the way it's supposed to. It's not on the screen itself so it doesn't interfere, but it's annoying to have a line at the bottom that won't lay flat.

On a side note, I noticed that Seidio makes the Innocase for the myTouch 4G now and am hoping they show up in the AC store. I went through a few of them on the EVO to get a good fitting one, but once I did it was the perfect case. The also make it with a belt clip.

seidioonline.com

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok I've had my cases (well only one is a real case) for about a week and a half. It's the HTC geli skin. It fits good, even better than the one they make for the EVO. It has cut outs for the FFC and sensors, and adequately protects the camera. It makes the power button more difficult to use, but you can always unlock it with the trackpad. Overall I'm satisfied (I'm a bigger fan of hard cases honestly).

I also got a Golla bag, but I can't remember which one right now. The one I got is a really tight fit. Not so much that I worry about the phone, but tight enough that you'll miss a phone call trying to remove it. Oh, and it doesn't fit with a case on.

The one I'm happiest with is the Mobi pouch. It's big, but the phone will fit in it with the skin on. It's actually a pretty good fit with the skin. My favorite combo so far is the skin and Mobi pocket pouch.

The SPE screen guards are a mixed bag. I love anti-glare screen guards, and in that respect these don't disappoint. BUT I can't get the bottom edge to lay down all the way. I even tried another one thinking I messed it up somehow. It just won't lay down the way it's supposed to. It's not on the screen itself so it doesn't interfere, but it's annoying to have a line at the bottom that won't lay flat.

On a side note, I noticed that Seidio makes the Innocase for the myTouch 4G now and am hoping they show up in the AC store. I went through a few of them on the EVO to get a good fitting one, but once I did it was the perfect case. The also make it with a belt clip.

seidioonline.com

I got a silicone case from the T-mobile store that's really great. Its finished more like a matte TPU case, so it avoids the typical silicone issues. (dirt/dust collection, etc.)

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
BUT I can't get the bottom edge to lay down all the way. I even tried another one thinking I messed it up somehow.

That is the case with EVERY protector I've tried so far. T-Mobile POS anti-glare/anti-see-the-screen, Realook, some cheapo static cling, and Clarivue (where I finally settled being the only true quality static cling I've found besides Boxwave - but Clarivue was out first so thats where I went).

Edges all don't seat, but it looks fine still and doesn't interfere with function or allow dust under (yet). Only complaint is how the FFC is left unprotected (Realook protected it all) - but after my scratch tests...it really doesn't matter.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
That is the case with EVERY protector I've tried so far. T-Mobile POS anti-glare/anti-see-the-screen, Realook, some cheapo static cling, and Clarivue (where I finally settled being the only true quality static cling I've found besides Boxwave - but Clarivue was out first so thats where I went).

Edges all don't seat, but it looks fine still and doesn't interfere with function or allow dust under (yet). Only complaint is how the FFC is left unprotected (Realook protected it all) - but after my scratch tests...it really doesn't matter.

Yeah I'm just gonna deal with it...it's like the phone has some weird rounded edges or something that doesn't let things rest the way they should. It's not lifted on the actual display, but it's annoying to know that it's not perfect. :mad:

I'm also sad to hear that it's the case with pretty much any brand, which leads me to believe my theory about the weird edges is true. There's always something weird with HTC phones. :p

I went looking for Bodyguardz (my personal favorite brand of screen guards) but they don't have any yet. If Seidio weren't so expensive I'd give them a go. Oh, and I'm personally a huge fan of anti-glare. They make swyping so much easier and fingerprint smudges almost non-existent.

fredmr85

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm just gonna deal with it...it's like the phone has some weird rounded edges or something that doesn't let things rest the way they should. It's not lifted on the actual display, but it's annoying to know that it's not perfect. :mad:

I went looking for Bodyguardz (my personal favorite brand of screen guards) but they don't have any yet. If Seidio weren't so expensive I'd give them a go. Oh, and I'm personally a huge fan of anti-glare. They make swyping so much easier and fingerprint smudges almost non-existent.
Yea, the edges only bother me since you call tell there is a protector on the phone easily.

Bodyguardz was one of the first to offer a protector for our phones. I posted it a long time back in my screen protector thread when I was exploring all the options: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...3Dmytouch%2B4g%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&token=Lqa6wVng
I just don't think they properly updated their menus to include it without searching.

Clearfreak, with good reviews, also has a similar skin: HTC MyTouch 4G Clear Protectors

However...I'm not sure how true the whole adhesive vs. oleophobic coating damage over time is... I see bodyguardz has a dry application version as well? I wonder if those use adhesive... or do they only use adhesive on the body protection and not the screen protectors themselves?

Also - I know you love the anti-glare - I haven't properly given them a try yet. The T-Mobile version, which does NOT say antiglare on the packaging, had TERRIBLE clarity and distortion. I argued for a refund at the store and they refused...which is BS because nowhere on the package did it say anti-glare. In fact, I think it said clear.. $15 wasted (because I wanted one ASAP without waiting for shipping).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea, the edges only bother me since you call tell there is a protector on the phone easily.

Bodyguardz was one of the first to offer a protector for our phones. I posted it a long time back in my screen protector thread when I was exploring all the options: Search results for: 'mytouch 4g' | Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Films
I just don't think they properly updated their menus to include it without searching.

Clearfreak, with good reviews, also has a similar skin: HTC MyTouch 4G Clear Protectors

However...I'm not sure how true the whole adhesive vs. oleophobic coating damage over time is... I see bodyguardz has a dry application version as well? I wonder if those use adhesive... or do they only use adhesive on the body protection and not the screen protectors themselves?

Also - I know you love the anti-glare - I haven't properly given them a try yet. The T-Mobile version, which does NOT say antiglare on the packaging, had TERRIBLE clarity and distortion. I argued for a refund at the store and they refused...which is BS because nowhere on the package did it say anti-glare. In fact, I think it said clear.. $15 wasted (because I wanted one ASAP without waiting for shipping).

Now I'm mad. I want the Bodyguardz now. I wouldn't want the whole kit, though, just the screen guard. I'm not sure I trust dry apply to stay on all over the body of the phone.

I loved them on my EVO. Right now I have the SPE ones from the AC store and I can't complain, especially since the not laying thing happens to more than one brand.

Layd Dly

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I love my TPU cases that i order from DCMugen on ebay, took a bit of time to get them, but fit and finish is great especially for the price.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz