"Certified" cables and chargers

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I know there's already a couple of threads concerning cables/chargers (including one started by myself), but have started this one in the hopes of provide a central discussion/recommendation point for cables and chargers, based on 'concrete' information on such items as have been tested and thereby verified or condemned by Benson Leung, one of Google's engineers, as being compatible (or partially compatible) and, most importantly, SAFE to use with our Pixels.

Google Pixel Phone - Suggested Peripherals [Nathan + Benson]*

This spreadsheet details which items he has tested are fully spec compliant, as well as denoting which support USB 3.1 vs 2 protocols (e.g., you don't need to spend more money for a cable if it's strictly going to be used for charging, not data, so long as it meets the proper voltage protocol). I'm sure there are (and will be) many more that have not been tested, but given the number that failed I know I, personally, feel much more comfortable making my purchases based on a factually informed opinion.

Please note that there are two tabs - it opens by default to the "USB-C Cables" tab, but there is a second tab including his testing results of "USB-C Chargers."

There's an astonishing number of items commonly available on Amazon, etc, that would appear to be fine to use but either do not meet (and therefore do not perform to) spec, as well as some which could (or may even likey) actually damage your equipment...

*credit to dsignori's post in another thread for sourcing the spreadsheet

razzell2

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Does the new Google phone use the 3.1 port? USB C I think its called?
The Samsung models Note 7 and S7, they both use the 3.1 charging port size, is that correct?
So, cables and chargers and adapters, etc, are the same for all three of these phones? Would that be accurate?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Does the new Google phone use the 3.1 port? USB C I think its called?
The Samsung models Note 7 and S7, they both use the 3.1 charging port size, is that correct?
So, cables and chargers and adapters, etc, are the same for all three of these phones? Would that be accurate?

The Pixel and Pixel XL both charge through a 3.1 compliant USB-C connector and are set up for USB-C PD fast charging.

The S7 uses 2.0 compliant Micro-USB so cables would not work and chargers, which might accept a USB to USB-C cable, might work, but would be far slower.

The Note 7 did also use a 3.1 compliant USB-C connector. I'm uncertain as to its means of fast charging. While the charging accessories should in theory work to charge the Pixel devices, they may or may not be compliant with USB-C PD so might not offer the speed you need. And more importantly, given that Samsung has not identified (at least publicly) what factors contributed to the Note's fiery demise, I would strongly advise using those accessories in case some flaw in their design may have been a contributing factor.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I put my phone on the Note 7 cord. It was working and at the bottom of the phone it said "charging rapidly" at the bottom, just like it says with the manufacturers cord.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It's QC3.0, not PD, so will definitely not be optimal. If you're looking for an inexpensive charger and not concerned about charging speed, Benson has another spreadsheet covering tested safe options that I'd encourage you to look at (on my phone at the moment, so can't conveniently link it).

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
It's QC3.0, not PD, so will definitely not be optimal. If you're looking for an inexpensive charger and not concerned about charging speed, Benson has another spreadsheet covering tested safe options that I'd encourage you to look at (on my phone at the moment, so can't conveniently link it).

Right on. When you get a chance, if you have that spreadsheet to post, that'd be awesome.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
That other spreadsheet is attributed to Benson but it's not actually maintained by him but by another guy that decided to volunteer... Just saying, I think he did a good job but it might not be completely up to date or as focused on Pixels or other things (as Nathan's list for instance).

I've noted a couple linking errors in that doc for one... The best place for all the latest reviews is to go right to Benson's profile on Amazon. He's mostly reviewed A to C cables which won't get you the fastest charge on the Pixel unfortunately. Both Benson and Nathan K also feature reviews on their G+ pages, easily Googled.

You actually don't need USB 3.1 or 3.0 cables for fast charging or PD, the C to C 6 ft cable Google ships with the phone is only USB 2.0. I bought a second Google USB/AC charger (in addition to the one that comes with the phone) because at $35 with a 6ft cable it's really not overpriced AT ALL given the messy state of the market.

I would prefer a small charger that offers A + C dual ports but there's literally not one decent spec compliant AC charger like that out there... There's car chargers and a larger 5 port Anker (1 C and 4 A IIRC) that are solid and recommended, but no AC.

I also bought a second USB A to C cable for fastest transfers simply because I want one in my travel bag and one at home, at $25 it's more overpriced but the few decent ones seem to be $15-20 anyway and not necessarily 3.1 and rated for the fastest spec.

I picked up three C to C cables on Amazon to use with a Type C wall outlet charger (Topgreen) I've bought and with a car charger... Picked up the Kanex ($25) and Black Squid ($12?) on Nathan's list. Passed on a few others either because the plugs seemed to large or they were pricier and/or longer than I wanted (3ft).

The third was a cheaper 2.0 Anker that I'll keep as spare, will use whichever of the other two I find more convenient by my bedside on that Type outlet. Got some Anker micro B to C adapters to use my old USB battery because there's like almost no decent Type C battery packs yet.

Went with two Nektech car chargers (one coiled the other not - for different cars) and a Vinsic that I'll probably keep at home for use with a solar panel charger (2nd A port on it is weak if you use it at the same time as the C). All told I probably spent north of $100 but since it's all spec compliant it should last.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
That other spreadsheet is attributed to Benson but it's not actually maintained by him but by another guy that decided to volunteer... Just saying, I think he did a good job but it might not be completely up to date or as focused on Pixels or other things (as Nathan's list for instance).

I've noted a couple linking errors in that doc for one... The best place for all the latest reviews is to go right to Benson's profile on Amazon. He's mostly reviewed A to C cables which won't get you the fastest charge on the Pixel unfortunately. Both Benson and Nathan K also feature reviews on their G+ pages, easily Googled.

You actually don't need USB 3.1 or 3.0 cables for fast charging or PD, the C to C 6 ft cable Google ships with the phone is only USB 2.0. I bought a second Google USB/AC charger (in addition to the one that comes with the phone) because at $35 with a 6ft cable it's really not overpriced AT ALL given the messy state of the market.

I would prefer a small charger that offers A + C dual ports but there's literally not one decent spec compliant AC charger like that out there... There's car chargers and a larger 5 port Anker (1 C and 4 A IIRC) that are solid and recommended, but no AC.

I also bought a second USB A to C cable for fastest transfers simply because I want one in my travel bag and one at home, at $25 it's more overpriced but the few decent ones seem to be $15-20 anyway and not necessarily 3.1 and rated for the fastest spec.

I picked up three C to C cables on Amazon to use with a Type C wall outlet charger (Topgreen) I've bought and with a car charger... Picked up the Kanex ($25) and Black Squid ($12?) on Nathan's list. Passed on a few others either because the plugs seemed to large or they were pricier and/or longer than I wanted (3ft).

The third was a cheaper 2.0 Anker that I'll keep as spare, will use whichever of the other two I find more convenient by my bedside on that Type outlet. Got some Anker micro B to C adapters to use my old USB battery because there's like almost no decent Type C battery packs yet.

Went with two Nektech car chargers (one coiled the other not - for different cars) and a Vinsic that I'll probably keep at home for use with a solar panel charger (2nd A port on it is weak if you use it at the same time as the C). All told I probably spent north of $100 but since it's all spec compliant it should last.
I was going to ask if there are any battery packs yet that are compatible with the quick charge on the Pixel XL. My fast charge battery pack by Samsung was always glued to me.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I was going to ask if there are any battery packs yet that are compatible with the quick charge on the Pixel XL. My fast charge battery pack by Samsung was always glued to me.

You can probably get 10-12W out of a pack like that, which isn't the absolute fastest the Pixel will charge (for reference: 15-18W w/OEM charger), but it's still pretty decent.

The only Type C packs I've seen so far that are spec compliant and will do 3A at 5V or 2A at 9V are like 20,000mAh packs or larger, there's one from Anker and an even larger one from some other company (actually meant to power Macbooks even).

I can post links later but if you Google Nathan K's Pixel accessory spreadsheet they're both on there (just find his G+ profile by googling Nathan K Type C).

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone come across an OTG cable that is spec compliant? I'm currently awaiting delivery of Benson-approved Anker USB-C to micro USB adapters, but I've no idea if they'll work with my current OTG cable.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone come across an OTG cable that is spec compliant? I'm currently awaiting delivery of Benson-approved Anker USB-C to micro USB adapters, but I've no idea if they'll work with my current OTG cable.

Google sells one for like $12, a little steep IMO but as I hadn't come across any reviews that vetted an aftermarket OTG I just went with theirs. Your old one + adapter might work but it'd probably be limited to 2.0 speeds... The phone comes with a hard OTG dongle too no?

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Google sells one for like $12, a little steep IMO but as I hadn't come across any reviews that vetted an aftermarket OTG I just went with theirs. Your old one + adapter might work but it'd probably be limited to 2.0 speeds... The phone comes with a hard OTG dongle too no?

Don't know about any hard dongle b/c my Pixel XL isn't arriving until Thursday. In any event, I guess the $12.99 one from the Google Store is worth it just to be sure it works. There is one on Amazon that's $6 cheaper, but the reviews seem hit or miss.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Direct from the Google support.....

"What power adapters and cables to use

Pixel phones use USB Type-C with USB Power Delivery 2.0 power adapters and cables.

You can charge your Pixel phone with a USB-A power adapter, if you use the USB Type-C to USB-A cable that came with your phone. Your phone will charge more slowly with a USB-A power adapter*than with a Type-C power adapter.

Other Android cables and power adapters may not work with Pixel phones, and*Pixel phones don't support wireless charging."

... I only went to this to point out that no where does Google say that using older cables may damage your phone,

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe