changing app icons

TheWeakSleep

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I got my captivate almost a month ago, and I've changed nearly every icon on the device. I'm stuck on a few apps that I would really like to get changed, just for consistency and because I'm picky.

The first one is the camera. I was able to change (neary) every system icon fairly easily, however everytime I change the icon in Camera.apk it will start and then I need to force close it. Has anyone had any success with this?

Then I need to figure out how to change the Gmail, Maps, and YouTube icons. I can change the .apks fine but I can't install them even if I uninstall the market updates first. I can't push them with adb and i've tried to cat them into /data/app but it never seems to replace the original and if I try to rm them after restart the screen never turns on and I'm forced to start over.

The last one is the market. Has anyone ever successfully changed the market icon? Do i need to uninstall market updater? bah.

Any help would be appreciated.

TheWeakSleep

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for chaning the name to a more appropriate one. I prefer a different launcher than adw. It's a very good launcher but i'm accustomed to different features. I've solved every other app besides the market and the camera. The market seems to have something to do with MarketUpdater.apk and com.android.vending-1.apk. I can change /system/app/Vending.apk and if the updated market is uninstalled i will see my custom icon. However, it will update automatically. I believe the camera either has something to do with Camera.apk and CameraFirmware.apk or the .odex files that are accompanying them. Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware