Verizon Galaxy S8 Charging habits and wireless chargers

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Back to a Galaxy for the first time since my S5. Was using a Nexus 6P, which I loved, but the battery went to complete garbage about a year in. I was only getting like 4-5 hours with light usage.

That aside, here are my questions:

1. Should I drain my S8 battery down every day? I work from home so usually keep my phone charging (wireless or plugged in) all day just so it's at 100% no matter what happens. Is this a bad practice? If so, is it acceptable if I do it via wireless charging? Or more acceptable via plugged in?

2. I have the Samsung wireless charger from the S5 days. It appears to charge this phone, although pretty slow. I don't care about the speed since I usually do it overnight or just to sit during the day. It's easy enough to plug in for fast charging when I really need it. Is there anything wrong with using an old wireless charger if I don't care about speed? Any damage to the battery?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
1. From what I've read, it's best to keep the battery between 40 and 80%. Keeping it in this range keeps thr battery optimal the longest. This isn't really an option for most of us. I read this article a couple years ago so maybe newer batteries are different now.

2. Nothing at all wrong with slow charging. I have a wireless charger that I bought for my S6 and it is not a fast charger. I don't mind since I also throw it on overnight.

Personally, I don't really worry about the battery too much. I charge it when I feel like. Most days, I can easily get a full day out of a charge but sometimes I'll charge it in the middle of the day if I feel like I'm going to run out later on. I get a new phone every 6 months to a year so I just don't really concern myself with how long the battery is going to last.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't hurt to keep it topped off or top it off as you want. I have wireless chargers all over the place and my phone hardly ever sees 80% except on weekends.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I used to slow charge every night with the s7 edge, now with the 8 plus I can skip a night and quick charge if need be during the day. I don't like my phone dropping below 30 to 40 % if I can help it

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
It doesn't hurt to keep it topped off or top it off as you want. I have wireless chargers all over the place and my phone hardly ever sees 80% except on weekends.

for how long have you been doing this with other phones? I've also read that the optimal is between 40-80% and above 80% can cause premature wear but I've never noticed any degradation

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Phones batteries do not have memory issues, they will lose capacity over time just from age and use. Modern charge circuits use a host full of tricks to help with battery life now like no longer trickle charging, and the phone won't actually charge a phone until it has lost a certain % from full (Laptop users these days regularly complain how their laptops never read %100 anymore). The galaxy s8 even has some new innovations built in to keep the battery cooler and last longer, no doubt a result from reducing a repeat performance from the note 7 blunder.

if you are ~60 or less don't be afraid to charge it. I have been charging it on a slow wireless because that is what I had and I am lazy and would rather not risk wear and tear on the usb port if I don't need. It creates more heat because of induction but the damage over time should be negligible.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I really still need to buy another one I want to buy that Corvette one that Samsung sells but it hasn't been on sale really unless I miss the sale which is totally possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci