Charging shutdowns and USB C to C cables

crjwingman

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I trying to get to the bottom of why I've had 2 Pixel 2XLs display the same issues in less than 3 weeks.

I bought my first Pixel 2XL at launch and it worked brilliantly until about 2-3 months ago, when it began I only charging with the USB C cable oriented in one direction. A support call to Google ended with them claiming it was a software issue they were aware of that should be fixed in an update. I doubted that was the case but forged on.

Fast forward a month or two later and it stopped charging altogether. I set up an RMA with Project Fi. While waiting for the new phone I discovered it would intermittently decide to work. It also began occasionally powering off when plugged into charge. I should add that the headphone adapter would not work and neither would Android Auto. I chalked it up to a bad charging port and waited for the new device.

The new pixel arrived and I've had it for a few weeks. It was working beautifully until last night when it started shutting down as soon as I plugged it into a charger. I don't mean powering off either. I mean instantaneous black screen. After toying with it so far today I've been able to figure out that, when it's off, it does appear to keep charging, unlike my old phone. It also is no longer doing that behavior of instant shut down all the time. Sometimes it shuts down, sometimes it stays on and charges, and sometimes it stays on but doesn't charge.

I have been very careful after reading Benson Leong's posts to only use USB C to C cables. I also have been using the same cables and chargers since I bought the original Pixel 2XL, and some of them go back even beyond that to my first Pixel XL. I will admit that they are not all Google branded but it was my understanding that the frying issues were only with USB C to other non C USB cables; USB C to C was supposed to be safe. All that is to say, did I misread everything I've read about the dangers of USB C cords? I can't quite wrap my head around a phone working fine for 10 months, then failing, and having the new phone fail in the same way just a few weeks later when none of the other variables have really changed. A bad cable should have bricked my first phone a LONG time ago.

Any thoughts?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
There is definitely a difference in quality and reliability of cables and chargers. I will use only the cable and charger that came with my Pixel 2 XL.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes cables fail. The cable that came with my husband's Pixel XL caused his OG Pixel to black out when put on charge and then remain off for days. We thought it had bricked and bought him a new P2XL. As soon as he plugged it in the brand new phone did the SAME thing. We took it back to the shop and they swapped it.

To be careful, we did not use that plug or cable again. We bought a second Google branded plug and lead for him to use at work and we also bought a Belkin power adapter that stopped any type of shorting at the plug mains. His new phone has been fine. The Pixel XL is now fine again so we gave it to my son with my leads from my P2XL. I had a cable from Anker that worked with it and a PD plug. But ever since the end of August I am only using the adapter that came with my Pixelbook to charge it and it has been fine.

So I think you have a faulty cable somewhere. use the one that came with your original phone or buy a new genuine one from the Google Store. If you need a longer lead then get the one with the 45 Watt adapter for the Pixelbook as that is longer than the phone lead.

neerajgv007

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
On a different note, I was facing the same issue with my Pixel 2 (5") last month post Pie upgrade. The issues were exactly same, intermittent charging to no charging at all or charging only when phone is switched off. Also, headphone adaptor stopped working.

I lodged a complaint with Google India, and they told me that device will be picked by them for a thorough check and they will let me know, whether they will replace or repair the device.

So, in order to do a R&D of my own, I factory reset the device and since then device is operating in the way as it is expected. Charging issues and headphone jack issues are no more on my device. Its working well.

So, I would suggest, as a last resort, please try to factory reset the device (if possible). Hopefully, it should fix the issue.

crjwingman

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
On a different note, I was facing the same issue with my Pixel 2 (5") last month post Pie upgrade. The issues were exactly same, intermittent charging to no charging at all or charging only when phone is switched off. Also, headphone adaptor stopped working.

I lodged a complaint with Google India, and they told me that device will be picked by them for a thorough check and they will let me know, whether they will replace or repair the device.

So, in order to do a R&D of my own, I factory reset the device and since then device is operating in the way as it is expected. Charging issues and headphone jack issues are no more on my device. Its working well.

So, I would suggest, as a last resort, please try to factory reset the device (if possible). Hopefully, it should fix the issue.
Thanks! I'm leaning towards concluding it's a software issue with Pie as well. I can't remember for sure but I think the problems didn't start with my original Pixel 2XL until the upgrade. Combined that with my personal cable collection basically not having changed at all in nearly a year and it's hard to think that I have a truly bad cable. It's frustrating to conclude because it may mean having to unnecessarily replace a bunch of perfectly fine charging cables because Google created a software problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d