Cheapest way to upgrade before the change?

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a family share plan, with a Razr and Dinc, both with unlimited data. My wife's line will be eligible for an upgrade in August, but obviously that is after the 6/28 date of the new plans. I'm considering buying a Razr Maxx for myself, and giving her my Razr, but I'm not sure about the best way to do it. I can obviously just buy one off eBay, but I'm looking for the cheapest way.

I've heard of adding an additional line (9.99 x 20 or 24 months?), but what about the data plan? That would bring my cost to about $450 or so with the price of the phone). Can I activate a dumb phone on that third line, and drop the data plan? If so, is this a simple thing (vzw accepted), so I don't have to jump through hoops to do? I just don't want to get stuck paying for a data plan on a third line.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully someone will answer!

I would like to add a new line and get a subsidized Galaxy SIII or Razr Maxx. Then sell the phone and activate a basic phone on the new line and drop the data plan. Then use the new line for a subsidized upgrade in 20 months.

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Since the other thread got closed before this was answered...

The Razr Maxx, is still showing up as $299 if I add a line on VZW.

Can I buy it through Amazon for $99 and add the line, and then swap the line to a dumb phone? Also, there was a mention about getting a sim card. If I want to swap the new phone onto my line, do I need a different sim card?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Since the other thread got closed before this was answered...

More proof my threads were useful.

The Razr Maxx, is still showing up as $299 if I add a line on VZW.

Can I buy it through Amazon for $99 and add the line, and then swap the line to a dumb phone?
Not without paying Amazon's penalty unless you do it after 181 consecutive days. If you downgrade your data plan on Amazon without paying for the data plan for 181 consecutive days, then they charge you a $250 penalty. Call to make sure this is still the case, but back in December it was the case.

http://wireless.amazon.com/help/200...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1863223

Also, there was a mention about getting a sim card. If I want to swap the new phone onto my line, do I need a different sim card?
I think you just use the sim card that is currently in your phone that you have on that line assuming they are the same size.

Last edited:

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes add a line through amazon get your razor maxxx and activate a dumbphone on the newly created line thus dropping the data charge

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes add a line through amazon get your razor maxxx and activate a dumbphone on the newly created line thus dropping the data charge
I would check with Amazon on this. Back in December they told me I couldn't downgrade my data plan for 181 consecutive days else I would get charged a $250 penalty. I could upgrade it, but not downgrade it. They said their commission from VZW was dependent on my keeping the data plan or upgrading only and that their commission would be reduced if I downgraded it, so that is the reason for the penalty if you downgrade the data plan.

http://wireless.amazon.com/help/200...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1863232

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably going to just go the eBay route.

As for the sim card, is it tied to the phone or number then? If so, should I take my existing Razr sim card and just put that in the new phone, and use the new sim for my old phone, which I'm going to change over to my wife's line?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
As for the sim card, is it tied to the phone or number then?
I think it is tied to the phone number, not the phone.

If so, should I take my existing Razr sim card and just put that in the new phone, and use the new sim for my old phone, which I'm going to change over to my wife's line?
I think this works as long as they are all the same size SIM cards.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I would check with Amazon on this. Back in December they told me I couldn't downgrade my data plan for 181 consecutive days else I would get charged a $250 penalty. I could upgrade it, but not downgrade it. They said their commission from VZW was dependent on my keeping the data plan or upgrading only and that their commission would be reduced if I downgraded it, so that is the reason for the penalty if you downgrade the data plan.

AmazonWireless

You are correct, any change to the contract in the first six months - like dropping data will trigger a $250 charge from Amazon. Your Razor Max will wind up costing you $349 plus the $240 cost of the line for a total of $589. Opposed to the $180 cost of six months of data plus the 2 years of phone line $240 plus $99 for the cost of the phone for a total of $519.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
You are correct, any change to the contract in the first six months - like dropping data will trigger a $250 charge from Amazon.
Amazon told me I could make changes that would increase the cost of my plan without a penalty. So if you went from 2GB of data to 4GB within the first 6 months that would not trigger the penalty. Only downgrades would.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a family share plan, with a Razr and Dinc, both with unlimited data. My wife's line will be eligible for an upgrade in August, but obviously that is after the 6/28 date of the new plans. I'm considering buying a Razr Maxx for myself, and giving her my Razr, but I'm not sure about the best way to do it. I can obviously just buy one off eBay, but I'm looking for the cheapest way.

I've heard of adding an additional line (9.99 x 20 or 24 months?), but what about the data plan? That would bring my cost to about $450 or so with the price of the phone). Can I activate a dumb phone on that third line, and drop the data plan? If so, is this a simple thing (vzw accepted), so I don't have to jump through hoops to do? I just don't want to get stuck paying for a data plan on a third line.

Actually, while that's an interesting idea I don't see how that saves you having to buy new phones at unsubsidized prices to maintain the unlimited data for the Razr and Dinc. Verizon has already stated that after 6/28/2012 if you want to buy a subsidized phone you will have to switch to one of the new Family Share plans. If you want to keep your unlimited data the only option will be to buy unsubsidized phones - fairly simple.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has already stated that after 6/28/2012 if you want to buy a subsidized phone you will have to switch to one of the new Family Share plans. If you want to keep your unlimited data the only option will be to buy unsubsidized phones - fairly simple.
Posters here are saying if you already have a multiple line plan with unlimited data on some or all of the lines you can add a line to it without losing unlimited data on those lines that already have it. The new line will have a tiered data plan, but it will not affect unlimited data on your other lines.

I had some threads closed that addressed this and other less-than-clear issues about the changes because obviously as your post shows, it is not clear what the correct answer is. People got their panties in a wad because of my threads and Cory closed them. Whatever, but yet again this proves that it is not clear from the other threads what is going to happen after 6/28 and more, not less threads about this are needed.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure creating a thread every time someone has the same question is the best practice... Not using the search function or reading the sticky about your problems.

Reactions: Ry

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly