chrome android keeps switching to desktop mode

COKEDUDE

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
There is only one site I want to use desktop mode in. Chrome android is now turning on desktop mode for all sites. How do I fix this? Why is this all of a sudden happening? There have not been any chrome updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It should default to the mobile layout on an S22 (although I can't be sure about the S22 Ultra). With bigger screens, Chrome might default to desktop view, but that cutoff is usually around 8", I think.

If you open Chrome, go to a site, and tap the Menu button at the upper right, is the Desktop Site checkbox checked?

COKEDUDE

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
It should default to the mobile layout on an S22 (although I can't be sure about the S22 Ultra). With bigger screens, Chrome might default to desktop view, but that cutoff is usually around 8", I think.

If you open Chrome, go to a site, and tap the Menu button at the upper right, is the Desktop Site checkbox checked?

I enable it for one site then it gets turned on for all other sites. Why did this just start happening?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I want it enabled for some sites and disabled for other sites. Has that been disabled? It used to work.
To do that, bring up the Site Settings>Desktop Site menu, make sure the toggle is OFF, and then tap the Add Site Exception option. Now enter the sites that you always want opened in Desktop view. (Conversely, if you always wanted sites in Desktop view except for a few in Mobile view, then you'd turn the toggle ON, and then add the exception sites that you want in Mobile view.)

Reactions: recDNA

COKEDUDE

Mar 31, 2023
Visit site
To do that, bring up the Site Settings>Desktop Site menu, make sure the toggle is OFF, and then tap the Add Site Exception option. Now enter the sites that you always want opened in Desktop view. (Conversely, if you always wanted sites in Desktop view except for a few in Mobile view, then you'd turn the toggle ON, and then add the exception sites that you want in Mobile view.)

Thats not working. Why is this all of a sudden happening? There have not been any chrome updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you already try mustang7757's suggestions to clear the Chrome app's cache and data in Settings>Apps, then force stopping it? This acts as a browser settings reset.

Reactions: mustang7757

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We'll have to see if anyone else with an S22 is encountering the same issue. It definitely doesn't happen on my Pixel 7 Pro or Galaxy A32 5G.