Chrome really sucks up my G4 battery life...

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
woah I was wondering why I couldn't install APKs.. I never thought it was lux, weird. haha

I'm going to try #nochrome.

Yup, it's because Lux has a "dimmer than dim" overlay feature for nighttime reading. Android knows that a malicious app may "hide" itself by becoming an overlay tap interceptor, and therefore stops you from tapping on the APK install link. It's very clever, actually, but darned annoying!

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Someone on XDA just posted about how to configure Lux so it still allows doing Installs. It's in post #8 of this thread:

Unable to tap OK or Install

For those who may be having a similar problem, you can go to Setup->Advanced in Lux. Enable the "Use Alternative Overlay" option and it should allow you to get the tap to work and still have Lux enabled.

I haven't tried this (don't use Lux), but it seemed worth sharing.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up about Lux. I'll keep it in mind. I'm not gonna set it just yet. You can run Lux without changing this and just put it to sleep for a few seconds while you click install.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
You can, I believe, use the Lux advanced setting, "alternative overlay" to achieve the same thing to allow for apk installs.

I saw this as well, but I prefer to simply swipe the notification shade down and sleep Lux for a second. I wonder if there's some kind of performance hit to using the 'alternative overlay' permanently (and I wonder if it circumvents the security feature in Android in a 'hacky' way). But yes, both options are there.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stryyker

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I agree, I just turn off lux for couple secs, install the apps and turn on again.

BTW I'm using manual lux atm since most the times I don't need 50/60% backlight so I think is really good and still awesome Lux compared to LG stock.

Enviado do meu LG G4

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
As a follow-up to earlier posts, I've now stopped using #nochromo, for a couple of reasons:

1. It doesn't handle links that involve proxies very well; I may not be entirely technically correct on this one, but I do know that many times I get the dreaded Chrome "can't load" site message and I end up going back to my old Boat browser to look at that page.
  2. There have been a few sites where the browser hangs; I'm pretty sure this is from JavaScript hanging, due to something not being properly implemented in #nochromo. (btw, I'm a web developer)

As such, I've started using 2 browsers:

• Chrome Beta -- I use this as my go-to browser for things like shopping sites, facebook, etc. I love how it synchs with my desktop Chrome so that I have my history, bookmarks, etc.
  • Adblock Browser -- This browser has just come out recently and does as good a job at ad blocking as #nochromo, but it doesn't have the proxy link issues or the JavaScript hanging issues. I'll use this for looking at news sites that have lots of ads; easy solution is to look at a page in Chrome Beta, and if there are too many ads I'll just "share" the page with Adblock Browser. You'll need to join the Google+ group, https://plus.google.com/communities/104936844759781288661 and then follow the directions in the "About this community" info. This is actually a very good browser, smooth and quick... but it lacks the synching with my desktop Chrome.

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
As a follow-up to earlier posts, I've now stopped using #nochromo, for a couple of reasons:

1. It doesn't handle links that involve proxies very well; I may not be entirely technically correct on this one, but I do know that many times I get the dreaded Chrome "can't load" site message and I end up going back to my old Boat browser to look at that page.
  2. There have been a few sites where the browser hangs; I'm pretty sure this is from JavaScript hanging, due to something not being properly implemented in #nochromo. (btw, I'm a web developer)

As such, I've started using 2 browsers:

• Chrome Beta -- I use this as my go-to browser for things like shopping sites, facebook, etc. I love how it synchs with my desktop Chrome so that I have my history, bookmarks, etc.
  • Adblock Browser -- This browser has just come out recently and does as good a job at ad blocking as #nochromo, but it doesn't have the proxy link issues or the JavaScript hanging issues. I'll use this for looking at news sites that have lots of ads; easy solution is to look at a page in Chrome Beta, and if there are too many ads I'll just "share" the page with Adblock Browser. You'll need to join the Google+ group, https://plus.google.com/communities/104936844759781288661 and then follow the directions in the "About this community" info. This is actually a very good browser, smooth and quick... but it lacks the synching with my desktop Chrome.

Wasn't impressed with Adblock Browser - downloaded mine from Play Store. Surprised that Google would allow. I use Chrome, Opera (not much) and Firefox depending on the website. On the G4, Chrome is fast & for me, no lag. I use Firefox on sites with ads that I don't like. I installed several add-ons including ad blocker, HTPS everywhere & Ghostery. If anyone interested - on Firefox go to tools, add-ons, browse all Firefox add-ons. Will download from their website. When using is not as fast as Chrome or Opera, has some lag (takes longer to load pages with all of the add-ons I use). I personally would rather have that then look at any ads. Ghostery blocks trackers (fyi - there are 9 people tracking you on this forum).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz