[clicking sound while muted]

Sim8

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy for this info on Chromebook 'life' and for your direct comments on my post about the old Acer R11 and my upgrade to the Acer 513.

Loving the 513, but while muted, mine makes an unhealthy click sound when ads play.

When forced video adverts play in apps (especially the glossy film ones) my 513 makes quite a loud single click sound as the video starts. Obviously the Chromebook is muted and all sound settings are turned to mute, but the click sounds like an internal 'pop', as if something is wrong or struggling inside.

Has anyone experienced this on any Chromebook, or any other device, for that matter? Is it quite a 'normal' known thing in recent times, or is it something of concern which needs further investigation?

Thanks in advance for any further insight.

Si

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hope you don't mind, but I created a new thread for your post (since your question was not directly related to the thread where you initially posted this).

Do you hear this using wired or Bluetooth headphones as well?

Sim8

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for moving this to a better place, B. Diddy.

No, wired or Bluetooth headphones deaden the sound due to ear coverage. The click/pop seems to come from within the main chassis of the Chromebook. Either behind the screen, or beneath the keyboard. It doesn't occur under any other circumstances than a forced ad video playing in an app.

Sim8

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
Yes, it seem only ads in apps. Have played video in other ways with the sound muted without any popping or clicking. YouTube via web browser is fine too.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Pretty strange. The Chromebook is completely up to date, right? It might be worth trying a Powerwash and setting it back up again (one of the great things about using a Chromebook -- you can do a full factory reset and be back and running like usual within about 15 minutes).

Sim8

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
Thanks so much for responding. At least now I know it's not a 'normal' thing which everyone else knows and experiences, so I'll start looking into it more seriously. If I establish what it is, I'll report back here so that others can learn from it. I'll do a step-by-step process of possible things which will take me through a powerwash if I've not resolved it before that point.

Cheers again for your time, and ask me anything at any point which might be of use to you.

Si

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad