Clock icon not round

Btd3715

Jul 6, 2018
Visit site
Why is my clock icon jagged and not round on my brand new Pixel 2 XL?

P. S. I zoomed in to show it better. It is still jagged when not zoomed.

Attachments

• 20180705_220620.jpg
    20180705_220620.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 82

btd37

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
You can tell that the edges/border is jagged even when not zoomed in. There are also other icons/objects that do not have smooth corners.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a computer problem, not a Pixel problem. Drawing a round line with straight line segments is impossible - a circle is an infinite number of zero length straight line segments. (I first noticed the problem around 1978 or so, so it's not something new.) If you look at 12 and 6, you'll see straight lines (more noticeable on the blue than on the white). It's definitely not a bug or something broken on your phone. (There are a lot of problems like that - 1/2 is an infinitely-repeating "binal" in binary arithmetic, 1/3 is a short ne - converting them to decimal gives a rounding error somewhere - no matter how many places you carry it to. All sorts of things like that. It's why subtracting two variables that hold the same value, then comparing that to 0, yields false.)

btd37

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
I am on 8.1. I am just trying to figure out if this is a software issue or a hardware issue. Is everyone else's like this? Even when not zoomed in, you can tell that the icon is not smoothly rounded. Its hard to capture on camera. Notice how the edges of the blue circle look like its kind of fraying. IDK, maybe google just did a poor job at designing the icon but it caught my eye.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I am on 8.1. I am just trying to figure out if this is a software issue or a hardware issue. Is everyone else's like this? Even when not zoomed in, you can tell that the icon is not smoothly rounded. Its hard to capture on camera. Notice how the edges of the blue circle look like its kind of fraying. IDK, maybe google just did a poor job at designing the icon but it caught my eye.

The blue is more noticable but only when I zoom. I'm on beta and I believe there is no difference in icons

Attachments

• 7418.jpg
    7418.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 39

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If you guys realize that it's impossible to do a curved line on any screen maybe you'd let go. All those curves are just thousands of little squares lined up in a way to make it seem curved. As you get closer you see the edges.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you guys realize that it's impossible to do a curved line on any screen maybe you'd let go. All those curves are just thousands of little squares lined up in a way to make it seem curved. As you get closer you see the edges.

That's already been mentioned. I'm not sure what the big deal is but I guess it bothers somebody

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
People aren't comprehending. It's pretty much only the Clock icon that's jagged (the blue part of it).

Other rounded icons and outlines are fine. E.g. the WhatsApp icon.

Get it now?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's Google's implementation of "draw a circle with square pixels" bug. If you pay careful attention to the design (maybe doing the design at 8X or 16X magnification), it won't show on the icon. Of you do it at 1X, and your eye isn't perfect, you get jaggies. I guess no one at Google thought that anyone was going to blow the icon up and examine it minutely. At normal size, it's not really noticeable (except at 6 and 2 - you can never get rid of those straight lines until you get to ridiculous resolutions).

Mike - even your Gmail icon shows straight lines at the top and bottom if you look really closely.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's Google's implementation of "draw a circle with square pixels" bug. If you pay careful attention to the design (maybe doing the design at 8X or 16X magnification), it won't show on the icon. Of you do it at 1X, and your eye isn't perfect, you get jaggies. I guess no one at Google thought that anyone was going to blow the icon up and examine it minutely. At normal size, it's not really noticeable (except at 6 and 2 - you can never get rid of those straight lines until you get to ridiculous resolutions).

Mike - even your Gmail icon shows straight lines at the top and bottom if you look really closely.

Yeah... I don't worry about icons

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armydudeJC