bullitt5094

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Fairly new to Android but have managed to install CM7 on my lowly Nook Color and love it. This Thrive looks like everything I want in a 10" Tab both hardware and connectivity wise, but the complaints about the current Honeycomb OS is making me wait. Is CM7 that much different than Honeycomb or am I just not seeing the problems on my NC with the similar operating systems that others are experiencing with the Thrive? I assume the Thrive is unrootable at this point, which means there is no way to install CM7, correct? Do we really know if it ever will be rooted? Sorry for such basic questions but again, still learning and didn't find anything about CM7 specifically in this Thrive Forum.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
CM7 is based on Gingerbread and is, therefore, a phone OS originally. It is good for the Nook Color since it requires less hardware requirements. Honeycomb is a tablet optimized OS.

The Thrive can be rooted right now, but there aren't any ROMs for it that I am aware of, so the only thing you can do is delete stock apps.

The next big thing for android is Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS). The big news there is that along with being optimized for dual core phones, it will be for both tablets and phones.

bullitt5094

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that information. I thought CM7 was based on Honeycomb so that does make a difference. Think I'll wait to see how things sort out with ICS and Thrive before I jump in. Seems like there is a lot of smoke with problems with the Thirve and/or Honeycomb plus several other Tabs coming to market. I do think Toshiba has it right with the "real" USB port, removable battery, full size SD card slot, etc. They've pretty-much covered my wish list.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
CM7 is based on Gingerbread and is, therefore, a phone OS originally. It is good for the Nook Color since it requires less hardware requirements. Honeycomb is a tablet optimized OS.

The Thrive can be rooted right now, but there aren't any ROMs for it that I am aware of, so the only thing you can do is delete stock apps.

The next big thing for android is Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS). The big news there is that along with being optimized for dual core phones, it will be for both tablets and phones.

ICS will be dual-core and single-core as it will run on the Nexus S and all other current single-core devices as well as dual-core.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
ICS will be dual-core and single-core as it will run on the Nexus S and all other current single-core devices as well as dual-core.

Sorry if I was vague, but I intended my "optimized for dual core phones" to be inclusive meaning single core as well.

I was just saying the Dual Core as a highlight because of phones like the Motorola Atrix, HTC Sensation, and HTC EVO 3D.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

You know, I wonder if it will be quad-core ready... The Tegra 3 is Nvidia's first mobile quad-core processor. If ICS only does dual and single..then we'll probably have to wait until the next Android OS to do quad...in which case we'd probably have...something higher, I guess. :p

This should be fun.

bullitt5094

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

You know, I wonder if it will be quad-core ready... The Tegra 3 is Nvidia's first mobile quad-core processor. If ICS only does dual and single..then we'll probably have to wait until the next Android OS to do quad...in which case we'd probably have...something higher, I guess. :p

This should be fun.

The little green guy is growing up so fast! :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allirose