com.android.phone issue on Note 20 Ultra

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So here's my latest

The issue came up again, the same exact problem. I was running great for a week.
I called Samsung, they agree there is an issue however they want me to send my phone to them so they can troubleshoot it. I cant just do that again because they don't know when they can send it back to me. I need a phone for work. I said i would need a loaner, any phone at all would be ok and then they could troubleshoot it all they want. But they don't do that loaner program. no exceptions.
So I have to return the 3rd phone to the store where i bought it, and Samsung will not get my phone to troubleshoot on. It seems stupid to me that since I have the live error on my phone they would want it, but they will not make any exceptions for a loaner, and (Samsung rep) realizes that they wont get the phone I have with the issue on it to test.
What a waste of everyone's time troubleshooting the issue.
So I have to jump ship unfortunately. I cant have this phone I guess. I'm getting a OnePlus 8T for now, T-Mobile is giving me a bazillion credits on my account for going through all of the trouble, and I'm actually getting this 8T phone for almost free. So I cant complain for now about that, but it isn't my Note. Ill have to wait for the next great Note phone before I can come back.. Sux 4 me
Thanks for updating here , does suck :(
Think about getting a backup phone like for 100 to 180.00 bucks just incase any phone gets messed up or have a situation like this.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Feels like 9 years ago that a tech sent a link to install an app so they could run remote diagnostic program.

Surely that is still possible.

Since then I've always had a spare, easy to do junky that I am. A BlackBerry, an iphone and Note.

Buy a phone with 30 day return even with fee? But sounds like sans Note you got a good deal yet painful experience.

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I already did that, bought the A11 with a 90 day return policy.

So after I was comfortable that the note20 was running ok, i decided to return the A11. I returned the A11 yesterday to Costco. I walked out of the store, I sat in my truck, I powered on the Note20. I could not believe it
com.android.phone keeps stopping

This was 5 minutes after I returned the A11

I dont want to waste another phone of a retailer, its not their fault, its Samsung issue. I felt bad just doing that the first time, i cant do it twice

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Feels like 9 years ago that a tech sent a link to install an app so they could run remote diagnostic program.

Surely that is still possible.

Since then I've always had a spare, easy to do junky that I am. A BlackBerry, an iphone and Note.

Buy a phone with 30 day return even with fee? But sounds like sans Note you got a good deal yet painful experience.
I keep back up phones also just in case something happens.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
This just started happening to me about an hour ago. I've cleared the phone data, sim tool kit data, wiped the partition cache, rebooted and the message still comes up about every 30 seconds. Backing up some things right now, I still have my old sim card so gonna pop that in and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I'll have to try a factory reset.

Agdodgerfan

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
I am having the same issue for weeks now. Replaced the phone, factory reset, deleted all my apps and nothing. Samsung blamed tmobile, tmobile blamed samsung. They said patch would be between, 10/16 & 10/23. Here we are 733pm on the 23rd and still nothing. Starting to consider an iPhone at this point. I spent $1400 for a phone I cannot use. Maybe time for a class action lawsuit.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am having the same issue for weeks now. Replaced the phone, factory reset, deleted all my apps and nothing. Samsung blamed tmobile, tmobile blamed samsung. They said patch would be between, 10/16 & 10/23. Here we are 733pm on the 23rd and still nothing. Starting to consider an iPhone at this point. I spent $1400 for a phone I cannot use. Maybe time for a class action lawsuit.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Do you use Google voice or another phone app?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue for weeks now. Replaced the phone, factory reset, deleted all my apps and nothing. Samsung blamed tmobile, tmobile blamed samsung. They said patch would be between, 10/16 & 10/23. Here we are 733pm on the 23rd and still nothing.
There's a new firmware update (ATJ3) yesterday for N986U1 on T-Mobile. I don't know if it'll fix your phone's problem, though. I think all the reports of this problem so far have been from T-Mobile users, though it could still be Samsung's fault.
Starting to consider an iPhone at this point. I spent $1400 for a phone I cannot use. Maybe time for a class action lawsuit.
I sympathize with your frustration. If they don't fix the problem quickly and won't let you return the phone for a full refund, I think a lawsuit would be justified. Did you remember to opt out of binding arbitration with both Samsung and T-Mobile when you bought the phone?

Last edited:

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone found a permanent fix for this yet? Mine started doing it on the 22nd, tried all suggestions, ended up resetting the phone to factory and all was well until the 25th when the issue came back. Did everything again on the 26th but this time I reset the phone from the area where you wipe the partition cache instead of in the regular settings. So far so good but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Update. So woke up this morning and I was getting the same error again, something provoked me to check for updates and sure enough one was there. I had to try 3 times to get it to download but it finally did and installed. Upon restart this solved the issue with the com.android.phone. However, the power button now activates Bixby, I will have to play with setting to see if I can change that but if not all I have to do is swipe down like I'm going into settings and the power button is also located there. So glad they finally fixed this, I had already reset my phone 2 times in a week and a half.

kwatch

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Update. So woke up this morning and I was getting the same error again, something provoked me to check for updates and sure enough one was there. I had to try 3 times to get it to download but it finally did and installed. Upon restart this solved the issue with the com.android.phone. However, the power button now activates Bixby, I will have to play with setting to see if I can change that but if not all I have to do is swipe down like I'm going into settings and the power button is also located there. So glad they finally fixed this, I had already reset my phone 2 times in a week and a half.

Go to "Settings" - > "Advanced features" -> Click "Side key" and select what you want.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Glad to hear it's good now !

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
So I just wanted to update, I returned the note 20 at Costco and got a refund in full. They allow you to return for 90 days so that really helps especially when you have ongoing issues you are trying to fix. I bought a OnePlus 8T. Although i wish I had my note, this phone has been working great, I've had 2 updates so far so I feel pretty confident.
I feel bad for the guys that are going through what I went through. For me there was never a resolution. Hopefully over time it will get resolved and the rest of you get the phone app to stop crashing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana