Coming from iP5 to 1st Android phone; Question is One or GS4?

3Dee

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
@rion_j Ha! hadn't seen that before! Just confirms my post above I think - I'd use precisely none of those features, whereas the HTC One features are perfect for me, so very much each to their own.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What are most important 2-4 features to you? Seems like the basic argument keeps coming back to form vs function. Since you have an iPhone, you already know how to deal with sealed battery and no SD card. Sounds like the camera is important to you?

Both are capable devices so one of them is closer to your top features. Let us know what you decide.

I thought I would be itching to get in on this launch but I actually have have not. Sitting this one out.

Sent from my Nexus 7

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5, and I am switching from my 5 to my first Android phone next month (May). The HUGE problem is that I can't decide between the HTC one and the Samsung Galaxy S4. Day to day, I keep going back and forth between which phone I am going to get. I adore the One's insane speakers and great build quality and dislike the "Ultrapixel" camera , while I love the GS4's beautiful 13MP camera, multiple software features, Touchwiz, and the fact that they made a smaller, thinner, and lighter device while giving it a bigger display. Can I get help choosing between the two greatest Android phones for at least the first half 2013!

1. How can you judge build quality on a phone you don't have?
2. More than likely Samsung will have the better build quality as well as support for longer
3.the Samsung does more, with the same processor, but clocked faster. Doing more with a faster processor =better

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
1. How can you judge build quality on a phone you don't have?
2. More than likely Samsung will have the better build quality as well as support for longer
3.the Samsung does more, with the same processor, but clocked faster. Doing more with a faster processor =better

I think it is well recognized even among Samsung loyalist that the HTC One is built from more premium materials in that aluminum is more premium than plastic. I do not have to have it or even touch it to know that one is more premium than the other.

That said that is not the total picture, but for some it is. Not to mention the one speaker deal is getting old. How hard is it to put dual speakers on the galaxy line? Now that I have had a phone with sealed battery and no SD card (only 16GB to boot), I would not hesitate to try a phone with those features while in the past I would not have. I can't speak to sense because I have only had touch wiz and vanilla.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My two cents is that there isn't a right or wrong answer to the question GS4 or One. I personally prefer the GS4's screen size (I've got a thing about 4.7" screens being a direct representation of evil itself, but that's my issue). The One is an amazing piece of hardware though, and I really, really want to want one, but can't get past the 4.7" screen thing previously mentioned (Same reason I absolutely could not stand the SGS3).

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think it is well recognized even among Samsung loyalist that the HTC One is built from more premium materials in that aluminum is more premium than plastic. I do not have to have it or even touch it to know that one is more premium than the other.

That said that is not the total picture, but for some it is. Not to mention the one speaker deal is getting old. How hard is it to put dual speakers on the galaxy line? Now that I have had a phone with sealed battery and no SD card (only 16GB to boot), I would not hesitate to try a phone with those features while in the past I would not have. I can't speak to sense because I have only had touch wiz and vanilla.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Better build materials yes you can tell that, but better build quality you can't tell from just looking at it.

HTC has historically had poor build quality with a lot of their phones. Problems like batteries losing to much of a charge over time, charging ports poorly soldered on and coming loose, parts falling off (also saw that the speaker grill on the one isn't very good), that isn't good build quality.

Build quality is how well the phone is built, not what material it's built from

saco274

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
All so uneducated about SD cards and battery. Please go read anandtech review and learn something about removable sd cards and how batteries really work.

I wanted to get a S4 but i started reading about all the gimmicky features and I found only one that might really be useful. The ability to wear gloves. All the other features did what they were supposed to do. Drag you into buying the phone, using it a couple of times and then turning them off. The screen while 1080p is not as good as the One's screen. Sound...don't even bother. Camera in low light please...not even close. Day pictures are good, not great but I can live with the trade off. CPU speed is a bit faster but nothing outlandish or brag worthy.

HTC One is plenty fast. Give me something more solid guys! 4.2.2 jellybean vs. 4.1.2 JB really. I may sound biased to HTC one but I just want it to be a fair fight. Everyone is so trained too love Sammy and there marketing dollars. The Note is a solid device, which i like very much.

Let's put it this way. The One must be raising some real concerns as Sammy just got busted paying off college kids to talk nasty about the One and there going to get fined. It's why there next flagship is going to be aluminum, get my drift. Anyways, buy away buy away buy away robots. I believe HTC will win top phone this year followed by whatever Google is doing and then S4.

miketlb

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Things that I like about the One: looks, build quality, screen, speakers
Things that I like abut the S4: removable battery, sd card, better camera

Not a big fan of all those gestures, i find them marketing gimmicks. ON the One I hate BlinkFeed and the fact that it can't be removed and I'm not very happy with the camera performances.

satannik

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
All so uneducated about SD cards and battery. Please go read anandtech review and learn something about removable sd cards and how batteries really work.

I wanted to get a S4 but i started reading about all the gimmicky features and I found only one that might really be useful. The ability to wear gloves. All the other features did what they were supposed to do. Drag you into buying the phone, using it a couple of times and then turning them off. The screen while 1080p is not as good as the One's screen. Sound...don't even bother. Camera in low light please...not even close. Day pictures are good, not great but I can live with the trade off. CPU speed is a bit faster but nothing outlandish or brag worthy.

HTC One is plenty fast. Give me something more solid guys! 4.2.2 jellybean vs. 4.1.2 JB really. I may sound biased to HTC one but I just want it to be a fair fight. Everyone is so trained too love Sammy and there marketing dollars. The Note is a solid device, which i like very much.

Let's put it this way. The One must be raising some real concerns as Sammy just got busted paying off college kids to talk nasty about the One and there going to get fined. It's why there next flagship is going to be aluminum, get my drift. Anyways, buy away buy away buy away robots. I believe HTC will win top phone this year followed by whatever Google is doing and then S4.

HAHAHAHAHAHA at the last sentence. Not even close, considering the battery scored 1/10

Sent from my HTC Vivid Borked using Android Central forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Like I said before, the s4.
Same cpu but clocked higher, more features, more than likely a better build quality (if history is any indicator), better camera in better light situations, more support

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Like I said before, the s4.
Same cpu but clocked higher, more features, more than likely a better build quality (if history is any indicator), better camera in better light situations, more support

HTC One. Better screen, better sound quality, better build quality (if the actual phone is any indicator), nicer overlay, more dev support, better camera in low light.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
So this thread has turned from giving advice to a pissing contest of people championing their favorite brand. Didn't see that coming.

OP should go to his retailer and handle a display unit of both and see which one he likes better. That's about all the advice I can give you, OP. There's more to the phones than externals, there's an entire OS that needs to be explored as well. There are things Samsung does better than HTC and there are things HTC does better than Samsung. It's all up to what your needs are and which phone does more better.

And if I see references to Brian Klug's review one more damn time on this internet I'm probably going to snap. You cannot go into any Samsung or HTC One topic or article on the internet without this review being brought up. And they act like it's the most in-depth review on a phone ever made, when Anandtech has been doing these type reviews for years. They went even more in detail on the iPhone 5 and you didn't see the iPhone review posted or suggested nearly at the volume of the HTC One review. Most people don't even know it exists. I bet you most that have been linked to that HTC review haven't even seen anything else on that site, and that's a shame. People want to talk about Apple/Samsung fanboys, I'd say HTC fanboys are coming up surprisingly quick in the annoyance factor at this point and it's weird it happened this fast just from one phone. The only difference is there aren't as many, but boy are they just as loud.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Better build materials yes you can tell that, but better build quality you can't tell from just looking at it.

HTC has historically had poor build quality with a lot of their phones. Problems like batteries losing to much of a charge over time, charging ports poorly soldered on and coming loose, parts falling off (also saw that the speaker grill on the one isn't very good), that isn't good build quality.

Build quality is how well the phone is built, not what material it's built from

Yes. In referring the the original comments you replied to I took it to mean how the phone is put together. Again no doubt that it is put together well. I think the premium materials add to that. I have never had an HTC so I do not know issues of the past. Samsung has had those issues also. From the reviews I have seen on the HTC one is is a solid device. I would wager that most would agree that it has better build quality than the S4 but that is just a guess.

I have owned the galaxy 1,2,3 and currently have a note 2 so I am by no means championing HTC over Samsung. Just keeping it real.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I am not buying the GS4 for the "gimicky" features but for the phones size, display, processor, stated update to KLP 5.0 and that it IS already 4.2.2. No 4.1.2 is not the same as 4.2.2 it doesn't have the bug fixes and with HTC you have to wait for 4.2.2 and MAYBE you will get 5.0 KLP, but likely won't.

I used to be a solid HTC fan but after the Thunderbolt I said no way. Combine that with the poor choices Verizon sticks us with from HTC since then. At least on GSM you can get real choices, but still questionable build quality.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Personal Opinion
I never really liked HTC's. Ever since the Evo, they just werent all that. It was like a basic phone with a good design
the HTC One is an improvement, but just doesnt catch me enough to want it compared to the S4
The HTC camera is bad, and they have always been bad (well the Evo was decent)
The speakers are a plus though, the stereo sound, but I use headphones or connect my phone to external speakers most of the time
Also the lack of a MicroSD Card and removable battery is a HUGE miss...try using a phone with a removable battery trust me you will see what i mean
I love the new HTC UI, much better than the last one
Also I use my camera a LOT, and the HTC One just doesnt do it for me with features, and quality. Dual mode camera is such a win to me

I do wish the GS4 had a better design, was disappointed that it looked just like the S3, but I'm gonna throw a Spigen Neo case which looks just amazing!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Personal Opinion
I never really liked HTC's. Ever since the Evo, they just werent all that. It was like a basic phone with a good design
the HTC One is an improvement, but just doesn't catch me enough to want it compared to the S4
The HTC camera is bad, and they have always been bad (well the Evo was decent)
The speakers are a plus though, the stereo sound, but I use headphones or connect my phone to external speakers most of the time
Also the lack of a MicroSD Card and removable battery is a HUGE miss...try using a phone with a removable battery trust me you will see what i mean
I love the new HTC UI, much better than the last one
Also I use my camera a LOT, and the HTC One just doesnt do it for me with features, and quality. Dual mode camera is such a win to me

I do wish the GS4 had a better design, was disappointed that it looked just like the S3, but I'm gonna throw a Spigen Neo case which looks just amazing!

I agree the camera is important. I take lots of pics and videos of my kids. That is one dig I have on the Nexus. The camera is not that great.

The lack of sd and sealed battery are not as big a deal since having a nexus although I would prefer at least 32 GB. At first I though the wireless charging is gimmicky but it is actually handy to just lay your phone on a charging mat so the sealed battery is not an issue.

I am sitting this launch out but am interested to see how this comes out. I think the S4 will do well but the HTC one will be a bigger competitor than the One X was.

Sent from my Nexus 4

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
HTC One. Better screen, better sound quality, better build quality (if the actual phone is any indicator), nicer overlay, more dev support, better camera in low light.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

How can you speak on build quality when the phone just came out?

You don't know how well it's built.

Drop test didn't indicate that it isn't a great build quality the way the speaker grill popped right off.

A device with good build quality wouldn't fall apart from a pocket high drop.

Stop confusing build materials with actual build quality.

I'd put money on the s4 getting more developer support considering more people are going to buy it and it has a faster processor.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The lack of sd and sealed battery are not as big a deal since having a nexus although I would prefer at least 32 GB. At first I though the wireless charging is gimmicky but it is actually handy to just lay your phone on a charging mat so the sealed battery is not an issue.
Sent from my Nexus 4

I used to feel the same way about the lack of SD Card but eversince I got the S3, transferring my music and videos have never been easier! I can also transfer all my media to another device just by removing the SD card. I would use the cloud but I personally don't like all my stuff on the cloud cuz its not 100% safe.